Blue Bombers Forum
December 11, 2017, 04:12:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Trade Deadline...  (Read 3972 times)
Pigskin

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »

I don't Franklin is going anywhere. I think Edmonton will trade MR at the end of the year. Franklin is a young stud QB that has a lot more miles left in the tank.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 02:52:33 PM »

I don't Franklin is going anywhere. I think Edmonton will trade MR at the end of the year. Franklin is a young stud QB that has a lot more miles left in the tank.

MR isn't going anywhere

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
theaardvark

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »

So long as they get a viable backup in return then Edmonton has basically eliminated the risk of moving him. There are many trade options that would work for them. We moved our only viable backup in Willy last year, and traded for KG as insurance. It was easy peasy.

The flaw fatale of your logic on this issue is that you are assuming that Franklin is the only possible viable back up for Edmonton. Just a purely false assumption.

As I said, unless a suitable backup is obtained, no amount of DP's and fringe players are worth trading a stud QB for.  And what backup is available that is anywhere near as good as Franklin?  The fact that you are suggesting teams trade for Franklin so that he can START for them says it all.

Remember, Edm has a slew of players coming off the DL, and no place to put the guys that filled in for them during their 7-0 start.  So its not like they need roster help.  And they just got back Walker.  Its not like they NEED to trade Franklin.  His SMS hit is small, and he is BY FAR the best insurance policy in the league.

So, why downgrade your backup QB position while making a potential opponent straonger?  What is the return?  And if Reilly has a career ending injury between now and the GC, who will be kicking themselves?  For draft picks?  When you will get the same, OR MORE, after the GC?  AND still have the best insurance policy?

Lulay, out for the year.  Harris - 2 to 6 weeks.  Glenn - week to week, not likely this week.  All in one weekend.  And you want to trade away Franklin for a what?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gbill2004

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 03:52:14 PM »

I wonder if TSN will run a 6 hour long trade deadline special?
🤣🤣🤣
They'd have more to talk about than the NHL trade deadline. 
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 04:10:40 PM »

If Reilly goes down, is Franklin really going to lead the team to a Grey Cup? The guy has thrown 38 passes in two years. I think some people might be overvaluing him somewhat. He's probably the best prospect in the league, but backup quarterbacks don't lead teams to championships (or they rarely do, anyway).

If you can get a first round pick, a great import and another pick/national for him, that's fantastic. The longer Edmonton waits and the closer he gets to free agency, the less a trade is worth. Unless you're keeping him and moving Reilly, make a deal.
theaardvark

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »

If Reilly goes down, is Franklin really going to lead the team to a Grey Cup? The guy has thrown 38 passes in two years. I think some people might be overvaluing him somewhat. He's probably the best prospect in the league, but backup quarterbacks don't lead teams to championships (or they rarely do, anyway).

If you can get a first round pick, a great import and another pick/national for him, that's fantastic. The longer Edmonton waits and the closer he gets to free agency, the less a trade is worth.

Yes.  A guy with 2+ years in their system is far more likely to lead the team to a grey cup than any other player available out there.  Period.

He is a player that they recruited, so have no "investment" in him that they "need" to recover, and who, if traded, would be slated to be that team's starter.  And then replace him with?  Whose the new backup that may be called upon to lead the team into the playoffs?  Someone better than Dinwiddie I hope, you remember that scenario, right?

What would Edmonton do with the picks / players coming back?  They already have an issue with roster size, and fitting returning players onto it. 

If you think that a guy who has never been a starter is going to fetch "a first round pick, a great import and another pick/national", especially after that same trade cost Barker his job, well...  and who has those assets to trade? 

After the season, I'm sure Franklin will garner at least a first rounder. 

Reilly:
YEAR
   TEAM GP    COMP ATT    YDS    TD    INT    AVG
2011   BC    1    1    2    12    0    0    6.0
2012   BC    6    53    74    684    4    2    9.2

Franklin:
 YEAR
   TEAM GP    COMP   ATT    YDS    TD    INT    AVG
2015   EDM    7    84    133    973    6    1    7.3
2016   EDM    2    19    24    334    4    0    13.9
2017   EDM    2    11    14    108    1    0    7.7

Buono didn't trade Reilly during the season... and he KNEW he was going to lose him.  But hey, what does he know about being a GM.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 04:37:19 PM »

Yes.  A guy with 2+ years in their system is far more likely to lead the team to a grey cup than any other player available out there.  Period.

He is a player that they recruited, so have no "investment" in him that they "need" to recover, and who, if traded, would be slated to be that team's starter.  And then replace him with?  Whose the new backup that may be called upon to lead the team into the playoffs?  Someone better than Dinwiddie I hope, you remember that scenario, right?

What would Edmonton do with the picks / players coming back?  They already have an issue with roster size, and fitting returning players onto it. 

If you think that a guy who has never been a starter is going to fetch "a first round pick, a great import and another pick/national", especially after that same trade cost Barker his job, well...  and who has those assets to trade? 

After the season, I'm sure Franklin will garner at least a first rounder. 

Reilly:
YEAR
   TEAM GP    COMP ATT    YDS    TD    INT    AVG
2011   BC    1    1    2    12    0    0    6.0
2012   BC    6    53    74    684    4    2    9.2

Franklin:
 YEAR
   TEAM GP    COMP   ATT    YDS    TD    INT    AVG
2015   EDM    7    84    133    973    6    1    7.3
2016   EDM    2    19    24    334    4    0    13.9
2017   EDM    2    11    14    108    1    0    7.7

Buono didn't trade Reilly during the season... and he KNEW he was going to lose him.  But hey, what does he know about being a GM.

You base your positions on such exceptionally strange logic it makes my brain hurt.
theaardvark

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 04:48:08 PM »

Really?  I thought it was quite self evident what my point is...

For a trade to make sense:

You must get, in return, at least what you give up.  No amount of DP's will make up for having to play games with a lesser option than Franklin should Reilly get hurt.  Dinwiddie. 

And if the end the season with a healthy Reilly and decide to part with Franklin, they will get *something* for him.  And depending on how the market is for starting QB's at that time, it could be something substantial.  And, right now, with the performance of Collaros, Durant and Jennings, and the actual/potential health issues with Lulay, Ray, Glenn, Harris...  Franklin will still be a hot commodity after the GC.

GCn17

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 06:39:52 PM »

Really?  I thought it was quite self evident what my point is...

For a trade to make sense:

You must get, in return, at least what you give up.  No amount of DP's will make up for having to play games with a lesser option than Franklin should Reilly get hurt.  Dinwiddie. 

And if the end the season with a healthy Reilly and decide to part with Franklin, they will get *something* for him.  And depending on how the market is for starting QB's at that time, it could be something substantial.  And, right now, with the performance of Collaros, Durant and Jennings, and the actual/potential health issues with Lulay, Ray, Glenn, Harris...  Franklin will still be a hot commodity after the GC.

As a GM you don't have the luxury of thinking only in the here and now. That's how boneheads like Brendan Taman get themselves fired. The Eskimos may temporarily lose by moving Franklin but if they get what he is worth they will make a move that helps them a lot more in the future. Your logic is flawed because you are thinking of it only in the present. There is a great deal to be gained by moving him now.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
theaardvark

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 06:55:03 PM »

As a GM you don't have the luxury of thinking only in the here and now. That's how boneheads like Brendan Taman get themselves fired. The Eskimos may temporarily lose by moving Franklin but if they get what he is worth they will make a move that helps them a lot more in the future. Your logic is flawed because you are thinking of it only in the present. There is a great deal to be gained by moving him now.

You think that there will be much more value for him now than after the GC?  When other GM's are looking at the future, and what options there will be out there at QB?

Who will be the next starter in the CFL?  Is there *anyone* other than Franklin that is pushing for a starters spot?

Adams?  Masoli?  Davis?  Willy?  Tate?  Fajardo?  Nope... none of them are in the same conversation as Franklin, right?  Otherwise their names would be in this conversation.

Yet Mtl, Tor, Ham and SSK should be in the hunt for a starter, and we don't know what the status of Harris is, or if Jennings will be "the one" in BC with Lulay gone. 

I'm thinking that the market *after* the GC might actually be better than before it. 

Regardless, there will be an asset value for Franklin after the GC, so now the question is, how much more can you get now, how does that affect your depth, and does it actually hurt your chance of getting to the GC (Edm *might* end up crossing over now, so trading to the East might bite you big time)

I just don't see trading depth and insurance at the most vital position to be a wise decision.  Even getting a decent backup in return will be a big downgrade, as he will have to learn the system and players.  Even if they got Ray in return, I'm not convinced its a good move.

Ridermania

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »

Esks are NOT trading Franklin until after the season is over!
bluebeard

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 08:07:39 PM »

Esks are NOT trading Franklin until after the season is over!

If I was Franklin, I would play out my option and let the teams start bidding up for my services.  There are lots of teams out there that would do this.
gbill2004

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 08:47:45 PM »

If I was Franklin, I would play out my option and let the teams start bidding up for my services.  There are lots of teams out there that would do this.
Yep, I'd expect have the league to be interested in Franklin:

Sask
Toronto
Montreal
Hamilton
Maybe even BC
theaardvark

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 12:08:35 AM »

He can't talk to anyone until his contract lapses.  In the meantime, Edm can trade him anywhere, and that team has the ability to negotiate first.  You can bet the offer will be pretty substantial, and unless he wants to do the Muamba tour, he will probably sign with the team that actually traded for him, that wants to give him a starting spot.  Like Reilly and Willy...

Jesse

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 11:04:16 AM »

He can't talk to anyone until his contract lapses.  In the meantime, Edm can trade him anywhere, and that team has the ability to negotiate first.  You can bet the offer will be pretty substantial, and unless he wants to do the Muamba tour, he will probably sign with the team that actually traded for him, that wants to give him a starting spot.  Like Reilly and Willy...

He doesn't have to do a Muamba tour to go to free agency. He simply has to have his agent receive offered and make his decision.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: