Blue Bombers Forum
December 11, 2017, 04:11:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ?? New Home for Amazon  (Read 1346 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 01:13:41 PM »

But what kind of PR is setting a city up to be told they aren't good enough?  Because that's the end result here.  We're not getting HC2 in Winnipeg.  HC5 maybe... or a regional distribution hub, sure.  And maybe that's the end game here, get on the radar? 

With the arctic icecap melting, beefing up the Churchill port/rail connection to Winnipeg could be a boon for something like an Amazon DC here...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
The Zipp

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 01:35:45 PM »

But what kind of PR is setting a city up to be told they aren't good enough?  Because that's the end result here.  We're not getting HC2 in Winnipeg.  HC5 maybe... or a regional distribution hub, sure.  And maybe that's the end game here, get on the radar? 

With the arctic icecap melting, beefing up the Churchill port/rail connection to Winnipeg could be a boon for something like an Amazon DC here...

see my post above....if the politicians do nothing they will get roasted by the other parties and general popluation for not trying to win this large scale bid and of course they will spin it like we had a chance...because of the world we live in where every little thing is over analyzed and some village idiot with a bunch of social media followers can essentially make life miserable for people by stirring up the masses...

Churchill has nothing to do with this - why even bring it up??  They won't be shipping amazon goods through Churchill?Huh  And a DC would have nothing to do with a rail line or Churchill.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 02:02:22 PM »

...It's not surprising that you don't get it, but what on earth are you talking about?
blue_gold_84

"There's always next year."

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 02:20:35 PM »

LOL Cheesy

Clearly, you don't know anything about what's going on in Churchill.

Blue & Gold 'til I'm dead & cold.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
theaardvark

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 02:22:37 PM »

see my post above....if the politicians do nothing they will get roasted by the other parties and general popluation for not trying to win this large scale bid and of course they will spin it like we had a chance...because of the world we live in where every little thing is over analyzed and some village idiot with a bunch of social media followers can essentially make life miserable for people by stirring up the masses...

Churchill has nothing to do with this - why even bring it up??  They won't be shipping amazon goods through Churchill?Huh  And a DC would have nothing to do with a rail line or Churchill.

...It's not surprising that you don't get it, but what on earth are you talking about?

Note I was talking about a DC.  Distribution Centre (Center).  Kinda the reason we have invested infrastructure money on Centre Port, you do know about that, right?  Adding in Churchill as a future logistical advantage to shipping/transport from Asia to Winnipeg is what I was talking about.  Future bids for Amazon business.  Just a personal pet peeve that this government hasn't done anything for Churchill as of yet.  With a warmer future ahead of us, infrastructure to take advantage of that should be front and centre.  

And don't get me going about Tesla addressing truck/trains....  

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
The Zipp

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »

so in fairness thought you were talking about a Data Centre...not Distribution Centre

but for the record don't think it is logistically efficient to move stuff from Asia through Churchill...
blue_gold_84

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »

It's fun to come up with ideas but none of what you're suggesting has any basis in the current reality of things, Aardsy.

CentrePort's development has basically been sitting in neutral for a while now.

As for Churchill, the issues go beyond the provincial gov't and I would argue they have more to do with negligence by the federal gov't (past and previous) as well OmniTrax itself. For Churchill to become comparable to major ports in Canada (it was predominantly used to load grain), billions would need to be invested not only to modernize the port itself, but to upgrade the infrastructure of the port and the rail line. At this point in time, the economic viability just isn't there.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
theaardvark

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 05:15:59 PM »

The likelyhood that Churchill becomes a viable shipping hub as the planet warms is pretty high. 

The probability that electricity generation will become more distributed (solar/wind/alternative) on the other hand is increasing.  Yet we are spending billions on Bipole III.

Just seems to be a bad allocation of infrastructure money, from a long term viewpoint.

blue_gold_84

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 05:53:35 PM »

The likelyhood that Churchill becomes a viable shipping hub as the planet warms is pretty high. 

The probability that electricity generation will become more distributed (solar/wind/alternative) on the other hand is increasing.  Yet we are spending billions on Bipole III.

Just seems to be a bad allocation of infrastructure money, from a long term viewpoint.

Not without an enormous amount of investment. Have you actually seen the current condition of the port in Churchill?

What the hell does Bipole III have to do with anything? That money's already been allocated, anyway.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 07:48:48 PM »

We're not getting HC2 in Winnipeg.  HC5 maybe... or a regional distribution hub, sure.  And maybe that's the end game here, get on the radar? 

This is what I'm thinking, and it's a great idea. The application can be used to bring their attention to our strenghts for future, more suitable considerations.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: