Blue Bombers Forum
December 13, 2017, 02:08:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ?? New Home for Amazon  (Read 1371 times)
luvblue

"my dream car....corvette Blue"

« on: September 10, 2017, 04:06:37 AM »

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/09/09/pallister-pushes-for-manitoba-as-new-amazon-home

....sounds interesting

My 2 favourite teams are the Blue Bombers
and any other team that beats the Riders!
blue_gold_84

"There's always next year."

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 03:13:19 PM »

This would be awesome if it were to happen. It'll be tough to get, IMO.

Blue & Gold 'til I'm dead & cold.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 06:13:12 PM »

Would be incredibly huge. $5 billion, 50,000 jobs. Wow.

I think we are well-positioned for this, in the most literal sense. Add to the central location the cheaper and plentiful renewable energy, manufacturing and transport sector, proximity to US border. Only thing we don't have that this article mentions is the pop > 1 mill, in which case I can see our logical competitor being Calgary. I'd understand they might want to take advantage of the huge population in Southern Ontario, but that would put them at a distinct disadvantage in accessing the huge western Canadian markets in especially AB and BC. Throw in the fact that their HQ is in Seattle, a western city.

Gotta go balls-in for this.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
Colton

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 12:53:21 AM »

Would be incredibly huge. $5 billion, 50,000 jobs. Wow.

I think we are well-positioned for this, in the most literal sense. Add to the central location the cheaper and plentiful renewable energy, manufacturing and transport sector, proximity to US border. Only thing we don't have that this article mentions is the pop > 1 mill, in which case I can see our logical competitor being Calgary. I'd understand they might want to take advantage of the huge population in Southern Ontario, but that would put them at a distinct disadvantage in accessing the huge western Canadian markets in especially AB and BC. Throw in the fact that their HQ is in Seattle, a western city.

Gotta go balls-in for this.

This isn't a distribution centre, it's a second HQ.

They had released a document stating all of their requirements/wants, and Winnipeg does not come close to matching any of them. It won't be coming here.
blue_or_die

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 04:26:33 PM »

This isn't a distribution centre, it's a second HQ.

They had released a document stating all of their requirements/wants, and Winnipeg does not come close to matching any of them. It won't be coming here.

Oh, I didn't see anywhere that it was going to just be offices. It's going to be absolutely massive. Warehouse massive. I would be surprised if this type of space didn't include distribution. Do you have a link?

If it is a computer hub, my energy and space point stands.

That said, I ignored that this wasn't a Canada-only expression of interest. It would be David vs Goliath to beat a giant American city.

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
Colton

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 04:33:38 PM »

Oh, I didn't see anywhere that it was going to just be offices. It's going to be absolutely massive. Warehouse massive. I would be surprised if this type of space didn't include distribution. Do you have a link?

If it is a computer hub, my energy and space point stands.

That said, I ignored that this wasn't a Canada-only expression of interest. It would be David vs Goliath to beat a giant American city.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/Anything/test/images/usa/RFP_3._V516043504_.pdf
blue_gold_84

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/amazon-winnipeg-wont-work-1.4283336

Seems like Winnipeg is trying to punch way above its weight in this proposal.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
blue_or_die

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 04:41:44 PM »

Yes, thanks, I came across that. Didn't specify that transportation abilities wouldn't be a factor. Although reading closer I can see why you might think the number of buildings might be non-warehousing. It would be interesting to know more details, but I guess there's not incentive to be specific when they will have every location chomping at the bit for this.

The Zipp

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 04:59:41 PM »

Bowman and Pallister are in a no win situation with this....they know the cards are stacked against them but if they don't put something in they will get blasted for not trying...I think there is little to no chance of winning this.
Colton

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/amazon-winnipeg-wont-work-1.4283336

Seems like Winnipeg is trying to punch way above its weight in this proposal.

The public nature of it pretty much forces any politician in a decently sized city to make a public attempt at winning the bid.
blue_gold_84

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »

The public nature of it pretty much forces any politician in a decently sized city to make a public attempt at winning the bid.

For sure. And good on both the city and the province for putting together a proposal, even if there isn't a snowball's chance in hell.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
jets4life

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 05:48:50 PM »

Nice to see Vancouver or Toronto get the contract.
Tiger

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 09:17:54 PM »

Not going to happen for Winnipeg.  Foregone that it will be in Texas unless a great tax deal is cut

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
theaardvark

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 04:27:15 AM »

Stable weather and a population that speaks clear, precise English...  that's how you beat Texas.   You can plow snow, not water or heat...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 12:20:05 PM »

It's a PR piece.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: