The Jets in 2017-18

Started by jets4life, August 25, 2017, 06:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How will the Jets do in the Central for 17-18?

Win division
1 (5%)
2nd
0 (0%)
3rd
8 (40%)
Wildcard Spot
5 (25%)
Out of Playoffs
6 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: October 14, 2017, 06:55:40 PM

gbill2004

Quote from: Chris1982 on March 25, 2018, 04:40:54 PM
Wheeler has been the biggest and best surprise of this year.  Lots of players outperformed their expectations, but Wheeler is by far our MVP this year.
If you look at the definition of MVP, I'd say Hellebyuck is our MVP. 

Chris1982

Quote from: gbill2004 on March 25, 2018, 04:42:45 PM
If you look at the definition of MVP, I'd say Hellebyuck is our MVP. 

Debatable.  Both have been phenomenal.  Love our entire team.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Chris1982 on March 25, 2018, 04:44:47 PM
Debatable.  Both have been phenomenal.  Love our entire team.

It absolutely is. You could make a case for either.

There's also the significantly improved special teams. There's also way more consistency in terms of the team playing a 200 ft. game.

This has been a great season so far.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

ModAdmin

102 points and counting.  4th overall in the league.  Pretty impressive.  Great ownership, management and coaching in Winnipeg.  The Canucks could learn something.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Chris1982

Quote from: ModAdmin on March 26, 2018, 04:56:26 AM
102 points and counting.  4th overall in the league.  Pretty impressive.  Great ownership, management and coaching in Winnipeg.  The Canucks could learn something.

Not just the Canucks  :D ;D

gbill2004

Quote from: Chris1982 on March 26, 2018, 09:33:22 AM
Not just the Canucks  :D ;D
Pretty sure ModAdmin lives in BC, so the Canucks are probably his team.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Chris1982 on March 25, 2018, 04:40:54 PM
Wheeler has been the biggest and best surprise of this year.  Lots of players outperformed their expectations, but Wheeler is by far our MVP this year.

I think farm boy O?Connor has been as equally surprising. Hellebuck MVP.

Exceeded by expectations in regular season
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

gbill2004

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on March 26, 2018, 01:27:55 PM

Who is O'Connor? 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: ModAdmin on March 26, 2018, 04:56:26 AM

I think they're where the Jets were a few years ago. Benning's slowly refilled the cupboards and the team should improve in the coming years. Boeser, Juolevi, and Demko - among others - should have fans on the left coast pretty excited for the future. After some stellar drafting last June, the Canucks were ranked 7th in NHL prospect depth going into this season, which is second best among Canadian NHL teams (https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-best-farm-systems-2017-ranking/).

Back to Jets, however, Maurice hit the nail on the head (IMO) in his post-game presser last night: http://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets/jets-back-in-playoffs-after-win-over-predators

So what area of the Jets team game has improved the most?

"You know what, it?s a good question but I don't want to answer it, because the idea was to be incrementally better at everything. That's the key," said Jets head coach Paul Maurice. "There wouldn't be a piece to our game that isn't better than it was last year. Our goaltending, our team defensive play, our special teams for sure. We finished seventh in goal scoring last year and we're going to finish ahead of that this year. All parts of our game have gotten better."

Playing more disciplined hockey has no doubt helped their cause, too.

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Chris1982

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on March 26, 2018, 01:27:55 PM

I assume you are talking about Kyle Connor. Tons of players on Jets are far exceeding expectations and playing phenomenal.... however, I see Wheelers contributions going far beyond just his stats. 

Jockitch

Wheels for sure has been a non stop mover & shaker but where would we be without HellB's above average play.
     Suggestion ----- both get the MOP/MVP, whatever the award is called ....... a tie would be justified

Congrats to the Jet players, coaches & organization .......... please keep it going in the positive manner we fans are used to cheering for.
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

gbill2004

Quote from: Jockitch on March 26, 2018, 04:28:02 PM
Wheels for sure has been a non stop mover & shaker but where would we be without HellB's above average play.
     Suggestion ----- both get the MOP/MVP, whatever the award is called ....... a tie would be justified

Congrats to the Jet players, coaches & organization .......... please keep it going in the positive manner we fans are used to cheering for.
Without Wheeler, I think we'd still be okay, and likely in the playoffs.  Without Hellebyuck, I can't say the same.  That's why I give MVP to Helle. 

Chris1982

Quote from: gbill2004 on March 26, 2018, 04:30:34 PM
Without Wheeler, I think we'd still be okay, and likely in the playoffs.  Without Hellebyuck, I can't say the same.  That's why I give MVP to Helle. 

Somewhat I agree with this.  I think we would still be in the playoffs without Hellebyuck, but definitely not in 2nd place and over 100 points.