Blue Bombers Forum
June 25, 2017, 11:02:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: More (Final) Cuts and PR - June 17. 2017  (Read 3132 times)
GCn17

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »

Still surprised that Stafford got cut.  Guess his talent wasn't enough to cover his ego...

I don't think he was as talented as many here seemed to believe.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
TBURGESS

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2017, 01:04:35 PM »

He was good enough to get a look from the New York Giants in 2015 and he was good enough to get drafted 11th overall in the 2015 CFL draft.  I fully expect we stop considering him only if and when said coaches and medical personnel determine he is not physically capable of competing.  Until that time, he remains on the roster.
He has the right measurable's to get a look in NY in 2015 as a development player.

There were better players, even better receivers, at 11th overall in that draft.

I agree that our coaches and GM will keep him on even tho he's injured yet again. They keep Neufeld on, year after year. At least he can contribute when he's healthy.

Being right never gets old.
Blue In BC

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »

When do teams need to declare IR lists?

No more excuses.
bowlerdude

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2017, 01:52:49 PM »

When do we stop talking about the potential in Richards? Probably not when he's still 23. There were players drafted this year that are older than he is... all three receivers taken in the first two rounds this year are 23. We're hardly paying him a king's ransom. This is how it goes with developmental Canadian players.

To be honest I don't have a ton of faith in Richards either especially with the injuries, but I don't see how it matters if we pay the same price to Richards who's young and physically talented but injury prone and may not develop into a contributor, or to an older no-upside guy who can get on the field a few times and catch 6 passes behind JFG. There's not some magical stud Canadian player we can pull out of thin air and sign for what Richards makes... yeah there's guys out there who can be marginal contributors, but that hardly seems worth complaining about... nor does Richards not really doing anything productive at an age when a lot of Canadian receivers are still playing in college somewhere.
Pigskin

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2017, 02:04:56 PM »

I was hoping an MLB would shake loose on final cuts. Or maybe even salary cap issues.
GCn17

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2017, 02:06:11 PM »

When do we stop talking about the potential in Richards? Probably not when he's still 23. There were players drafted this year that are older than he is... all three receivers taken in the first two rounds this year are 23. We're hardly paying him a king's ransom. This is how it goes with developmental Canadian players.

To be honest I don't have a ton of faith in Richards either especially with the injuries, but I don't see how it matters if we pay the same price to Richards who's young and physically talented but injury prone and may not develop into a contributor, or to an older no-upside guy who can get on the field a few times and catch 6 passes behind JFG. There's not some magical stud Canadian player we can pull out of thin air and sign for what Richards makes... yeah there's guys out there who can be marginal contributors, but that hardly seems worth complaining about... nor does Richards not really doing anything productive at an age when a lot of Canadian receivers are still playing in college somewhere.

Had we drafted Vandervoort (for example) and cut him in order to keep Richards I could understand the angst. However, we are paper thin at NAT rec and releasing Richards would only make a bad situation worse.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
DM83

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2017, 02:21:11 PM »

I do remember the one pass he caught.  I forgot about Jade Ettiiene immediately.
I think once he returns, he will have a break out year.
TBURGESS

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2017, 03:03:00 PM »

Had we drafted Vandervoort (for example) and cut him in order to keep Richards I could understand the angst. However, we are paper thin at NAT rec and releasing Richards would only make a bad situation worse.
I agree that we are in a bad situation when it comes to NI receiver, which we brought upon ourselves, but I fail to see how losing an injured receiver who has only caught 1 pass in his entire career would made the bad situation worse.

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2017, 03:20:21 PM »

I agree that we are in a bad situation when it comes to NI receiver, which we brought upon ourselves, but I fail to see how losing an injured receiver who has only caught 1 pass in his entire career would made the bad situation worse.

I assume because that guy could be #1 or #2 on the depth chart when healthy. Like we can all see, it's not the best situation. Fortunately, we don't need the NI receiver to do much in our offense.
rubanski

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2017, 03:56:57 PM »

Walters has openly said that he doesn't like using high picks on CDN receivers, and doesn't think the position exists like it used to.

Our GM doesn't think it's a good place - generally speaking - to try to have above average non-import talent at.
Mike

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2017, 04:09:01 PM »

No downside? Really? We've paid him for 2 full years for 1 lousy catch back in 2015. Looks like we're going to continue to pay him while he doesn't produce for the near future. In any other business and on a lot of CFL teams, he'd have been fired long before his 3rd year if he failed to produce. We could sign a different player to take his salary and hopefully produce more than Richards has to this point.

I didn't know you were paying out of pocket for his contract. It doesn't even count against the salary cap for crying out loud.
TBURGESS

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »

I didn't know you were paying out of pocket for his contract. It doesn't even count against the salary cap for crying out loud.
He isn't playing for free. His salary still comes out of the budget.

Are you suggesting that we hire all the injured players out there who have potential and pay them, cuz it doesn't come out of the SMS?

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2017, 04:24:23 PM »

Are you suggesting that we hire all the injured players out there who have potential and pay them, cuz it doesn't come out of the SMS?

Lol, no. I'm quite sure he wasn't suggesting that.
gbill2004

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2017, 04:28:50 PM »

If we do too much of this, we wont be able to pay the stadium loan and then the taxpayers will be on the hook for the stadium payments.  One contract like Richards, won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but ultimately the money comes from somewhere. 
theaardvark

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2017, 04:32:52 PM »

There is upside potential that the coaches and management have identified.  And they have determined he is worth the non-SMS dollars we are allocating to his salary.  For now.  Will that change?  Maybe.  It did with Cory Watson.  Would you like him back?  He's done pretty good in Edm, even with a stacked Rec corps...

Sure, you could cut him loose, and maybe no one else picks him up because of his injury history.  But someone will probably take a chance on him, and it would be just our luck that this is his last injury, and goes on to bite us in the butt...

And its not like we're going out and signing injured players... he's our draft pick, he's a Bomber.  He's been injured on field.  Cutting a guy who got injured playing for you, well... just not kosher.  If he gets healthy, and sucks, sure.  But until then...

If we do too much of this, we wont be able to pay the stadium loan and then the taxpayers will be on the hook for the stadium payments.  One contract like Richards, won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but ultimately the money comes from somewhere. 

Its all part of operating expenses, SMS or non-SMS, we get it.  And its all budgeted in.  6 game IR pay is a budget line item, no doubt.  Having a roster full of 6 game IR players is not an optimal situation.  But there is a reason for the 6 game, and a reason the CBA does not allow you to cut an injured vet...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: