Blue Bombers Forum
February 24, 2018, 01:14:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnny Manziel  (Read 29125 times)
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #300 on: January 31, 2018, 05:32:47 PM »

June Jones said he could be if he committed himself to the CFL for a few years.  June Jones didn't say he could be the best player ever in his first season.  Manziel needs the CFL way more than the CFL needs him. 

Did he? I never listened to the full clip, just the quotes, but it doesn't include that phrasing in the CFL.ca article. I'd be confused about such a low offer when the coach says things like this:

?I think he?d be the best player to ever play up here,? Jones said. ?He can throw it and he can run it like nobody ever has been able to do.?

?Even his NFL films to be quite honest. The things that he would do up here, he excelled at the National Football League level.

?I think he?s a phenomenal player,? said Jones. ?I think it was kind of unfortunate what happened to him in the NFL, some of that was by his own means, too. We?ll see. I think he?ll either be with us or he won?t.?

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/12/08/jones-manziel-hed-best-player-ever-play/
theaardvark

« Reply #301 on: January 31, 2018, 05:38:32 PM »

Give him $500k, but make $350k of it a roster bonus for the week before the Grey Cup.  That way, if he's earned it, he gets his $500k...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #302 on: January 31, 2018, 05:45:57 PM »

Give him $500k, but make $350k of it a roster bonus for the week before the Grey Cup.  That way, if he's earned it, he gets his $500k...

That would be 350K you couldn't use during the season because you would have to plan for that possibility from an SMS perspective. There's a reason most lump sum payments are made before the season starts.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #303 on: January 31, 2018, 06:08:24 PM »

Here are the details on Hamilton's starting QB, courtesy of Justin Dunk:

Hamilton Tiger-Cats quarterback Jeremiah Masoli new two-year contract is worth over $700,000 and included a signing bonus of $125,000.

The first year contains $235,000 in ?hard money? with $90,000 in playtime incentives while the second features $335,000 ?hard money? plus $45,000 in playtime incentives.

After being named Hamilton?s starting quarterback by June Jones on Sept. 4, Masoli led the Canadian Football League the rest of the season in passing yards (3,032) and rushing yards by a quarterback (384) and tied for second in passing touchdowns (15). Masoli went 6-4 over that stretch.

The 29-year-old QB produced his best numbers since coming to the CFL in 2013.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #304 on: January 31, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »

Here are the details on Hamilton's starting QB, courtesy of Justin Dunk:

Hamilton Tiger-Cats quarterback Jeremiah Masoli new two-year contract is worth over $700,000 and included a signing bonus of $125,000.

The first year contains $235,000 in ?hard money? with $90,000 in playtime incentives while the second features $335,000 ?hard money? plus $45,000 in playtime incentives.

After being named Hamilton?s starting quarterback by June Jones on Sept. 4, Masoli led the Canadian Football League the rest of the season in passing yards (3,032) and rushing yards by a quarterback (384) and tied for second in passing touchdowns (15). Masoli went 6-4 over that stretch.

The 29-year-old QB produced his best numbers since coming to the CFL in 2013.

$700,000? I didn't realize that you could earn that kind of money. Wonder what kind of problems that could create in the locker room when you have the other end of the spectrum making $56K....

As far as Johnny Football, I'd think that you have to offer him at least as much as you pay a QB2....  $150K is a little on the low side to me....

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
bluengold204

« Reply #305 on: January 31, 2018, 08:03:09 PM »

$700,000? I didn't realize that you could earn that kind of money. Wonder what kind of problems that could create in the locker room when you have the other end of the spectrum making $56K....

As far as Johnny Football, I'd think that you have to offer him at least as much as you pay a QB2....  $150K is a little on the low side to me....

That's $700,000 over two years
66 Chevelle

« Reply #306 on: January 31, 2018, 08:05:35 PM »

That's $700,000 over two years

oops.... maybe I need to read a little closer next time, lol... my bad... carry on, nothing to see here....   Grin

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #307 on: January 31, 2018, 08:41:19 PM »

Doesn't sound as though they are close. Don't know what point he had setting an ultimatum date. It's not like he's free to sign with another CFL team.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #308 on: January 31, 2018, 08:54:04 PM »

That would be 350K you couldn't use during the season because you would have to plan for that possibility from an SMS perspective. There's a reason most lump sum payments are made before the season starts.

Its a bonus that you can plan for, if you don't use it for Manziel, you can use it for re-signing players.  And if you do use it for Manzeil, Masoli is likely gone... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
theaardvark

« Reply #309 on: February 01, 2018, 02:29:50 AM »

UPDATE FROM TIGER-CATS ON JOHNNY MANZIEL
Ticats Staff
by Ticats Staff

January 31, 2018

?While the discussions with Johnny Manziel and his representative have been very cordial and informative, there is nothing imminent and nothing to report. We will continue to do our due diligence and will have no further public comment on the matter as we move forward.?

http://ticats.ca/update-from-tiger-cats-on-johnny-manziel/

DM83

« Reply #310 on: February 01, 2018, 03:13:09 AM »

I like Manzells history as a player. But as a human, he ias a jerk.  His record proves he would let a month up here and be kicked out.  Then again if he has grown up, he could be a nose to the grind stone ,home the skills get real good and try the NFL again....actually as it stands, Tampa, Buffalo or Cleveland could use him immediately.  Oh well.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #311 on: February 01, 2018, 06:17:36 AM »

The way Jones pumped him up by saying Manziel would be like the second coming for the CFL....it definitely worked out in Manziel?s favour from a bargaining perspective.  You have to wonder what that strategy was all about or was their a difference of opinion between Austin and Jones regarding how bad the Ticats want him?  Based on Jones glowing assessment of Manziels worth to the CFL and the Cats....anything short of 500K per season would be an affront to him! 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:36:48 AM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
GCn17

« Reply #312 on: February 01, 2018, 03:39:25 PM »

The way Jones pumped him up by saying Manziel would be like the second coming for the CFL....it definitely worked out in Manziel?s favour from a bargaining perspective.  You have to wonder what that strategy was all about or was their a difference of opinion between Austin and Jones regarding how bad the Ticats want him?  Based on Jones glowing assessment of Manziels worth to the CFL and the Cats....anything short of 500K per season would be an affront to him! 

Could be that Jones jumped the gun a little, but at the end of the day I have a feeling there is no way that Manziel was going to come here for anything less than starter money. He had the Als whispering sweet nothings into his year trying to make him Vince Ferragamo v2.0 as well. Don't think they will give him starting money?

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Blue In BC

« Reply #313 on: February 01, 2018, 05:14:21 PM »

Could be that Jones jumped the gun a little, but at the end of the day I have a feeling there is no way that Manziel was going to come here for anything less than starter money. He had the Als whispering sweet nothings into his year trying to make him Vince Ferragamo v2.0 as well. Don't think they will give him starting money?

Ferragamo crashed and burned in the CFL. Not a good example for him to use if he did.

No more excuses.
gbill2004

« Reply #314 on: February 12, 2018, 12:18:13 PM »

@AdamSchefter: Johnny Manziel tells @GMA he has bipolar disorder and is sober....
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22
  Print  

Jump to: