Blue Bombers Forum
June 23, 2018, 08:18:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnny Manziel  (Read 50796 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #285 on: January 10, 2018, 04:17:43 PM »

Would Kaeperninck be a better/worse fit for this league, marketing and talent wise?  I'm sure there are other NFL QB's that have had more success than Manzeil that would fit better north of the border...

But Johnny Football tm  is a brand that sells newspapers (do they still sell newspapers?)

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #286 on: January 10, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »

Would Kaeperninck be a better/worse fit for this league, marketing and talent wise?  I'm sure there are other NFL QB's that have had more success than Manzeil that would fit better north of the border...

But Johnny Football tm  is a brand that sells newspapers (do they still sell newspapers?)

From what I recall in the news and from his agent is that he has no interest in coming to the CFL.  I would think that if he was motivated to learn the game he could be successful in the CFL...My opinion is that most successful starting QB's from the NFL could be somewhat successful in the CFL if they put the work into learning the game and like any other team had a good supporting cast to work with.  The mental part is likely harder than any physical needs (obviously being grossly out of shape won't help)...

Some of the duds that struggled in the NFL this past season would be duds in the CFL too.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #287 on: January 10, 2018, 04:34:46 PM »

Does it matter? Kaepernick doesn't want to come here. Who are the other QBs who 'are a better fit' and have had more success? The CFL doesn't pick and choose what big name (or not-so-big-name) QBs that want to come.
the paw

« Reply #288 on: January 10, 2018, 05:17:31 PM »

Apparently the Als have added Josh Freeman back to their neg list.  I would argue that he has had more success at the NFL level and comes without all the baggage.  Of course, he really doesn't add any je ne sais quoi from a marketing perspective either....

that's all I've got....

grab grass 'n growl
66 Chevelle

« Reply #289 on: January 10, 2018, 06:50:47 PM »

I realize there are those who believe this will be an excellent marketing stunt that will bring eyes to the CFL, and while I want that, this is the exact opposite person I want to be doing that.

I don't expect a Peyton Manning type player to ever come here any time soon; someone of both supreme talent and integrity. If even someone somewhat like that did, I would be 100% for it.

What we have is a media circus following a spoiled brat loser who, in his mind, will walk in and light up the league and jump back down ASAP.

I'm fine with having the extra eyes on the league and get the exposure, but just to show that a guy like him can walk in and dominate? Not what I'm wishing for.

I understand what you're saying but a player like Manziel is going to generate this type of exposure, unlike a lot of ex-NFLers. I did add in my original comment that I hope he can be focused on football, implying that he would come to the CFL and take it seriously and act accordingly. What he brings to the table is as much about his off field actions as it is his on field actions, i.e. will he implode again. That, and he never began to show the potential that was heaped upon him in the NFL and there is that question that surrounds him of was it his talent or he himself that caused him to fail.

Personally, I don't think that there are many, if any, NFL stars that could come to the CFL and single handedly dominate here. Football is still a team sport regardless of where it's played and no one player do it by themselves. But to get the masses to engage you have to have the right type of player, one with something to prove who people either hate or love. There are not a whole lot of those type of players around.

Washed out, over aged players can't get that done. Players at the end of their career that have been passed around the league can't get that done. You have to have a player that has been justly, or unjustly been given up on that people perceive, or are just curious, that they can still 'get it done'. Unfortunately, those type of players are going to have some baggage.

For me, there are probably only 4 or 5 players that could do that, at least that I can think of right now. One of course is Manziel, the others for me would be Tim Tebow, Eli Manning, Colin Kapernick, or Brett Farve, all for different reasons.

What makes people believe that the CFL is a 2nd tier league is because of the money, not the product put on the field. If the money was the same you would see players leverage one league against the other in order to maximize their 'payday'. The money has to come in order to make the CFL a players option, not their only option. You won't have a player coming out of college that will consider the CFL over the NFL when if you just make an NFL roster you will make $450,000 a year, or more than 99% of CFL players. To turn the corner and get people interested you have to have something of mass interest to get them interested, unfortunately.

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #290 on: January 10, 2018, 06:55:38 PM »

I understand what you're saying but a player like Manziel is going to generate this type of exposure, unlike a lot of ex-NFLers. I did add in my original comment that I hope he can be focused on football, implying that he would come to the CFL and take it seriously and act accordingly. What he brings to the table is as much about his off field actions as it is his on field actions, i.e. will he implode again. That, and he never began to show the potential that was heaped upon him in the NFL and there is that question that surrounds him of was it his talent or he himself that caused him to fail.

Personally, I don't think that there are many, if any, NFL stars that could come to the CFL and single handedly dominate here. Football is still a team sport regardless of where it's played and no one player do it by themselves. But to get the masses to engage you have to have the right type of player, one with something to prove who people either hate or love. There are not a whole lot of those type of players around.

Washed out, over aged players can't get that done. Players at the end of their career that have been passed around the league can't get that done. You have to have a player that has been justly, or unjustly been given up on that people perceive, or are just curious, that they can still 'get it done'. Unfortunately, those type of players are going to have some baggage.

For me, there are probably only 4 or 5 players that could do that, at least that I can think of right now. One of course is Manziel, the others for me would be Tim Tebow, Eli Manning, Colin Kapernick, or Brett Farve, all for different reasons.

What makes people believe that the CFL is a 2nd tier league is because of the money, not the product put on the field. If the money was the same you would see players leverage one league against the other in order to maximize their 'payday'. The money has to come in order to make the CFL a players option, not their only option. You won't have a player coming out of college that will consider the CFL over the NFL when if you just make an NFL roster you will make $450,000 a year, or more than 99% of CFL players. To turn the corner and get people interested you have to have something of mass interest to get them interested, unfortunately.

I don't disagree, but that doesn't change that I would like the play of the CFL to shut him down. Substitute him for just about anyone else and I would be on your side. He epitomizes so many qualities I hate.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
the paw

« Reply #291 on: January 10, 2018, 07:04:54 PM »

A long time ago, before the NFL gave big money to the players, the CFL used to compete for top players.  You would see guys who were drafted relatively high by the NFL come straight to Canada and carve out a dominant career with no regrets.  John Helton and Frank Rigney spring to mind as a couple of examples.

And of course, there was also a period when black players who wanted to play QB came north, not for the money, but for the opportunity.  Chuck Ealey, Conredge Hollaway, Warren Moon, JC Watts, Damon Allen, etc. 

grab grass 'n growl
66 Chevelle

« Reply #292 on: January 10, 2018, 07:06:02 PM »

I don't disagree, but that doesn't change that I would like the play of the CFL to shut him down. Substitute him for just about anyone else and I would be on your side. He epitomizes so many qualities I hate.

Oh I want him to fail, to an extent, I want him to come here and get humbled... but I want it to be because of on field performance, not because he gambled, drank, drugged, or otherwise got himself kicked out of the league. He's the 'perfect storm', a guy that did throw away his first opportunity and now claims that he's ready and willing to prove himself, and like you, the majority hates the person he is and want to watch the train wreck that many believe is inevitable. The best case scenario would be, that he has gotten his life back to together and he's able to successfully play ball in the CFL. Anything to the extreme, either side of the needle, doesn't help the league.

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
BlueInCgy

« Reply #293 on: January 10, 2018, 07:28:03 PM »

Not terribly invested in the drama that is Johnny Manziel, but at this point I kind of wish it (and he and his agent) would all go away.  Let's assume that the offer Austin made him was in good faith, and it is somewhere between Masoli money and Nichols money.  Manziel's unhappy with it?  Then pound sand.  There aren't a lot of teams in the CFL right now who a) need an expensive QB and b) have a pile of surplus under the salary cap cash to go and get him at Ricky Ray/Mike Reilly prices.  Montreal might be the only other viable destination, but they'd have to dump Durant's contract to do it, and if Manziel doesn't deliver, not only have they not taken a step forward, they've actually taken a fairly significant step back.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #294 on: January 10, 2018, 08:00:28 PM »

Oh I want him to fail, to an extent, I want him to come here and get humbled... but I want it to be because of on field performance, not because he gambled, drank, drugged, or otherwise got himself kicked out of the league. He's the 'perfect storm', a guy that did throw away his first opportunity and now claims that he's ready and willing to prove himself, and like you, the majority hates the person he is and want to watch the train wreck that many believe is inevitable. The best case scenario would be, that he has gotten his life back to together and he's able to successfully play ball in the CFL. Anything to the extreme, either side of the needle, doesn't help the league.

Fair enough

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #295 on: January 29, 2018, 02:24:10 PM »

CFL Retweeted
June Jones
‏ @CoachJuneJones
11h11 hours ago

Back in the Hammer!!!....excited about 2018!!...this week is going to be the one that sets the stage for a Grey Cup run.....decisions on many things that will get us there....including Manziel...everyone is on board and team decision!!!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #296 on: January 31, 2018, 04:52:40 PM »

Ti-Cats, Johnny Football about $350K apart: https://www.tsn.ca/lalji-manziel-ticats-roughly-350k-apart-1.984122

Johnny Manziel and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are far apart as negotiations continue between the CFL club and the former NFL quarterback.

According to TSN's Farhan Lalji, Hamilton offered Manziel a contract in the range of $150,000 with some minor incentives, but Manziel's camp is looking for something in the range of $500,000.

$500K... He and his agent are delusional.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
gbill2004

« Reply #297 on: January 31, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »

Ti-Cats, Johnny Football about $350K apart: https://www.tsn.ca/lalji-manziel-ticats-roughly-350k-apart-1.984122

$500K... He and his agent are delusional.
$150k plus incentives is more than fair. 
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #298 on: January 31, 2018, 05:14:23 PM »

$150k plus incentives is more than fair. 

Well considering June Jones said "He'd be the best player to ever play up here", I don't think that's a fair price. You say that you had better back the truck up.
gbill2004

« Reply #299 on: January 31, 2018, 05:17:02 PM »

Well considering June Jones said "He'd be the best player to ever play up here", I don't think that's a fair price. You say that you had better back the truck up.
June Jones said he could be if he committed himself to the CFL for a few years.  June Jones didn't say he could be the best player ever in his first season.  Manziel needs the CFL way more than the CFL needs him. 
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35
  Print  

Jump to: