Blue Bombers Forum
January 16, 2018, 12:19:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnny Manziel  (Read 24462 times)
blue_gold_84

"There's always next year."

« Reply #270 on: January 09, 2018, 05:32:19 PM »

https://www.tsn.ca/the-manziel-contract-situation-just-got-complicated-1.963001

Manziel and his agent seem to believe the Tiger-Cats don?t understand - or won?t acknowledge - the power of Johnny Football.

What power...? Such arrogance and entitlement for someone who has accomplished nothing as a pro athlete.

If Manziel truly wants to play football in 2018, he and his agent need to get a grip on reality and understand the situation. He needs the CFL more than other way around.

Blue & Gold 'til I'm dead & cold.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
Jesse

« Reply #271 on: January 09, 2018, 05:39:34 PM »

https://www.tsn.ca/the-manziel-contract-situation-just-got-complicated-1.963001

What power...? Such arrogance and entitlement for someone who has accomplished nothing as a pro athlete.

If Manziel truly wants to play football in 2018, he and his agent need to get a grip on reality and understand the situation. He needs the CFL more than other way around.

Power referring to the off-field brand, not his on-field ability. Every social media post, every forum topic where his name is mentioned, blows up with comments. He's a lightening rod (mostly for criticism), but is a huge marketing ticket.
theaardvark

« Reply #272 on: January 09, 2018, 05:44:20 PM »

He's dumb.  Out and out stupid.  His manager is stupid.  Sign a deal, get it done, and stay quiet about how much he signed for. 

Then come into camp, blow the doors off the league and return to the NFL.  He could even JEnnings the Cats and renegotiate his entry level deal if he's good enough.  Won't get out of nthe term, but could increase his pay ONCE HE"S EARNED IT.

Or show up at camp, realize he's done, and fade quietly into the night...

He played 2 years in college for free to get his first shot at the NFL...  how is this different?   If anything, his hype before college was bigger than his hype now...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #273 on: January 09, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »

He's dumb.  Out and out stupid.  His manager is stupid.  Sign a deal, get it done, and stay quiet about how much he signed for. 

Then come into camp, blow the doors off the league and return to the NFL.  He could even JEnnings the Cats and renegotiate his entry level deal if he's good enough.  Won't get out of nthe term, but could increase his pay ONCE HE"S EARNED IT.

Or show up at camp, realize he's done, and fade quietly into the night...

He played 2 years in college for free to get his first shot at the NFL...  how is this different?   If anything, his hype before college was bigger than his hype now...

Relax. He will get as much money as he is able and then I'm sure he'll sign. Who knows how much of the NFL money he has left or what bills he owns. This isn't the first time an agent brought the media into the negotiations and it won't be the last. Why would you expect anything less from Manziel anyway? He's brash, cocky and uncompromising. It's not really going to change just because he's going to play up here. May as well get used to it and this isn't all that different than Andy Mulumba's agent except for the fact that people actually care about Manziel. 
blue_gold_84

"There's always next year."

« Reply #274 on: January 09, 2018, 06:51:48 PM »

Power referring to the off-field brand, not his on-field ability. Every social media post, every forum topic where his name is mentioned, blows up with comments. He's a lightening rod (mostly for criticism), but is a huge marketing ticket.

I get that. But branding on social media or a forum doesn't mean much when he's yet to accomplish any consistent success in pro football.

And besides, athletes aren't given contracts based on their branding or controversy. He's a lightning road and that's a good way to get clicks and reactions online, but that carries no water as far as contract negotiations are concerned.

Blue & Gold 'til I'm dead & cold.

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #275 on: January 09, 2018, 07:22:36 PM »

Relax. He will get as much money as he is able and then I'm sure he'll sign. Who knows how much of the NFL money he has left or what bills he owns. This isn't the first time an agent brought the media into the negotiations and it won't be the last. Why would you expect anything less from Manziel anyway? He's brash, cocky and uncompromising. It's not really going to change just because he's going to play up here. May as well get used to it and this isn't all that different than Andy Mulumba's agent except for the fact that people actually care about Manziel. 

Maybe he should get used to compromising, after all he was cut by the Browns and now he's looking to the CFL for employment.
Jesse

« Reply #276 on: January 09, 2018, 08:28:25 PM »

I get that. But branding on social media or a forum doesn't mean much when he's yet to accomplish any consistent success in pro football.

And besides, athletes aren't given contracts based on their branding or controversy. He's a lightning road and that's a good way to get clicks and reactions online, but that carries no water as far as contract negotiations are concerned.

Athletes are given contracts to win games. You want to win games because then you make more money (sell more tickets, jerseys, etc).

How many extra tickets would the Ti-cats need to sell, along with extra 'Manziel' jerseys, to play for his 500k contract? Also taking into account the extra attention from NFL/College prospects to your team and free agent camps?

That absolutely enters discussions between agents and teams.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #277 on: January 09, 2018, 08:32:41 PM »

Hope he comes in, tries his absolute best, and just crashes and burns.

Will legitimize the league.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
66 Chevelle

« Reply #278 on: January 09, 2018, 08:46:28 PM »

Hope he comes in, tries his absolute best, and just crashes and burns.

Will legitimize the league.

I don't... I hope he comes up here and does well. I hope he gets his act together and can focus on football and be a good/great player here. The awareness for the league could be huge. More interest makes the league more valuable which could lead to more more for the teams, higher pay for the players, and even the possibility of further league expansion.

I'm not positive that he actually has the ability to be a game changer, but, in the short term he'll bring awareness of the league. Awareness is what the league needs down south to increase it's value. Like others have said, down here it's pretty much NCAA, NFL, then high school football, it's the same with me. However, I have now added CFL, while it may be 4th on the list I still watch every game, as well as other CFL games now. Now that it has been ingrained in me I have no plans on giving it up, like I said before, my football season is now 9 months long because of it.

The CFL needs to let people know that it exists, this could help...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #279 on: January 09, 2018, 08:57:34 PM »

I don't... I hope he comes up here and does well. I hope he gets his act together and can focus on football and be a good/great player here. The awareness for the league could be huge. More interest makes the league more valuable which could lead to more more for the teams, higher pay for the players, and even the possibility of further league expansion.

I'm not positive that he actually has the ability to be a game changer, but, in the short term he'll bring awareness of the league. Awareness is what the league needs down south to increase it's value. Like others have said, down here it's pretty much NCAA, NFL, then high school football, it's the same with me. However, I have now added CFL, while it may be 4th on the list I still watch every game, as well as other CFL games now. Now that it has been ingrained in me I have no plans on giving it up, like I said before, my football season is now 9 months long because of it.

X2. I totally agree.
Blue In BC

« Reply #280 on: January 09, 2018, 08:58:31 PM »

It seems they believe they are free to shop themselves around the CFL if they don't get what they want from the Ticats.

LOL

No more excuses.
GCn17

« Reply #281 on: January 09, 2018, 09:04:14 PM »

There is zero chance McMahon could get a professional league up and running by this spring. ZERO.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
dd

« Reply #282 on: January 10, 2018, 03:15:24 AM »

Who cares about Johnny meatball? I sure dont, he's a product of the media and nothing but.

The guy was cut by the Browns, the stinking Browns!!!

Another publicity stunt, much like Vince young last year, will fade to black in time....
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #283 on: January 10, 2018, 03:39:03 AM »

Who cares about Johnny meatball? I sure dont, he's a product of the media and nothing but.

The guy was cut by the Browns, the stinking Browns!!!

Another publicity stunt, much like Vince young last year, will fade to black in time....

Are you 7?

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #284 on: January 10, 2018, 01:07:29 PM »

I realize there are those who believe this will be an excellent marketing stunt that will bring eyes to the CFL, and while I want that, this is the exact opposite person I want to be doing that.

I don't expect a Peyton Manning type player to ever come here any time soon; someone of both supreme talent and integrity. If even someone somewhat like that did, I would be 100% for it.

What we have is a media circus following a spoiled brat loser who, in his mind, will walk in and light up the league and jump back down ASAP.

I'm fine with having the extra eyes on the league and get the exposure, but just to show that a guy like him can walk in and dominate? Not what I'm wishing for.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
  Print  

Jump to: