Blue Bombers Forum
September 22, 2017, 02:20:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Agent priorities  (Read 30905 times)
SSC

« on: December 27, 2016, 05:24:34 AM »

The Bombers, like all teams, have a large number of free agents this year. Name the top five, in order of importance, the Bombers need to sign for next year. I have:

1) Justin Medlock
2) Stanley Bryant
3) Kevin Glenn
4) Matt Nichols
5) D.Adams
DM83

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 05:46:21 AM »

Nichols and Medlock.
Bryant never lived up to the fanfare IMO.  He was good, but only as. Good as the rest of the line.  Would not have a strong argument should someone say he was great.  I just wouldn't agree.

Adams fits in well with the group we have. But the question is, Is that group good enough?

Again we have good guys, but the mix is wrong  we are desperate for a comtributing CDN.StoddRd and Boyko are OK but.... Yes I know.  But what we have is slightly better but again comparable

As a group, just good enough to not be bad..

kG isn't a priority, but none the less a very valuable piece. 

If we sign all and stand pat I would suggest we finish in third again.  Maybe cross over.  Will the Argos even have a team?  Montreal is a mess, and Hamilton has what 29 free agents.

I amticipate we do make a few key acquisitions.
TBURGESS

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »

My take:

1. Medlock - We lose more than we win without him.
2. Bryant - Offense is built from the line out.
3. Adams - Big play receiver.
4. Nichols or Franklin or Durant - Need a starting QB
5. McDuffie - Flipped the field a bunch last year.

Being right never gets old.
theaardvark

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 03:20:15 PM »

Offence ? Darvin Adams, Stanley Bryant, Dominique Davis, Clarence Denmark, Kevin Glenn, Tori Gurley, Jeff Keeping*, Rory Kohlert*, Quincy McDuffie, Matt Nichols, Chad Rempel*, Gerrard Sheppard, James Tuck*

Defence ? Khalil Bass, Jesse Briggs*, Tony Burnett, Euclid Cummings, Victor Harris, Sam Hurl*, Teague Sherman

Kicker ? Justin Medlock

Medlock and Bryant are purportedly already signed.

QB's are a priority, although one vet is enough IMHO, and it sounds like we have some new prospects coming.  Still would like to see what Davis can bring.  

One question, with Franklin and Reilly, why did the Eskimo's sign Brett Smith recently?  Is it a sign that they were looking for some CFL "proven" QB depth to be able to move one of their current guys?

Adams is a very good player, and there are a lot of very good WR's out there, but I think they will resign him because he is a MOS work ethic kinda guy.

Burnett, Bass, Cummings and Sheppard would be nice resigns at a decent price, no need to overpay.  

Keeping, Kohlert, Briggs, Tuck, Sherman all are good Nat roster fillers, should be given contracts that get them to camp and compete with the DP's from 2016 and 2017, although I don't think they can survive that competition...

McDuffie was good when he was good, but with Fogg and Heath, having 6 quality DB's means you can have D based returner who can come in fresh and hasn't just been gassed on a deep route miss.  It seems wasteful using a DI for a specialty returner when you can use it for a rotational DB. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue girl

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 04:29:55 PM »

My top 5 priorities
1 Medlock - You have to have a reliable kicker.
2 Bryant  - The QB needs protection and you want continuity on the OL.
3 Nichols  - But he has to come down in price.
4 Adams - A good receiver
5 Denmark - Also a good receiver.
gbill2004

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 04:54:02 PM »

Medlock and Bryant have already re-signed. so here's my top priorities, in order:

1. Matt Nichols - he's a must re-sign - a perfect fit in Lapo's offence
2. Kevin Glenn (or another legit backup QB) - as much as I love Darvin Adams, in the CFL you need 2 QBs to win
3. Darvin Adams - if he could only stay healthy, he could be an elite CFL receiver. Ironically, him getting injured last year might actually lower his price to where we can afford to re-sign him.
Pigskin

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 05:07:50 PM »

Medlock- Without him we mite have won 5 games this year.
Bryant- Solid and a leader for our young OL.
Adam's - Has turned the corner, and is looking better every year.
Denmark- Solid, quality, receiver. Had an off year in 2015. Was very good in 2016.
Nichols - Nichols would be nice at a reasonable price.
Glenn- Solid backup QB. Very good insurance policy.

Bass, and Burnett if they don't stick in the NFL.

Andy Mulumba- could be the biggest signing of the off season.

McDuffie- Had some great returns, but you get more bang for your buck with Fogg, and Heath.
Blue In BC

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 05:12:40 PM »

Step 1 is determining our QB. Hopefully Nichols come to an agreement. If he doesn't then we need to figure out the direction of the team in that regard.  A trade is a possiblity as is acquiring a QB in Februrary during free agency.

I'd like to have this settled before we reach the start of free agency. Whether that happens or not TBD.

No more excuses.
SSC

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 05:13:56 PM »

Great posts. Some solid reasoning amongst those replies.
I feel I owe an explanation about picking Kevin Glenn at number three. Its not that I want Glenn so much its that I really would like to see Nichols return. By signing Glenn first, at a reasonable rate, might be a shot across Nichols bow. Glenn is not Nichols but he is serviceable and could be used if Nichols doesn't choose to sign here. Nichols is no fool and he must realize his opportunity with the Bombers, A move like this might create a little more urgency in the Nichols camp.
Just a thought, maybe too dubious.

theaardvark

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 06:14:22 PM »

Great posts. Some solid reasoning amongst those replies.
I feel I owe an explanation about picking Kevin Glenn at number three. Its not that I want Glenn so much its that I really would like to see Nichols return. By signing Glenn first, at a reasonable rate, might be a shot across Nichols bow. Glenn is not Nichols but he is serviceable and could be used if Nichols doesn't choose to sign here. Nichols is no fool and he must realize his opportunity with the Bombers, A move like this might create a little more urgency in the Nichols camp.
Just a thought, maybe too dubious.

Not too sure about that reasoning, it might actually be the opposite.  By spending money on Glenn, it reduces what you can spend on Nichols.  Which might be a sign to Nichols that he isn't wanted here.  Which is not a message I want to send. 

Not a bash against Glenn, I just don't see where he fits here, at the $ he will want.  There will be other teams interested in his availability, if after he kicks some tires and his ask comes down, then is the time to sign him.  Unless he knows now that he's not getting a big deal and signs cheap.   

Nichols is a solid guy who can take a lot, and we have an Oline and a OC that was pretty good at protecting him last year.   As everyone here knows, I want to see development as a focus of our QB roster.  We lost Bennett because he had to move to the PR when Glenn came in. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 07:25:31 PM »

Not too sure about that reasoning, it might actually be the opposite.  By spending money on Glenn, it reduces what you can spend on Nichols.  Which might be a sign to Nichols that he isn't wanted here.  Which is not a message I want to send. 

By spending money on Glenn, it sends a message to Nichols (or Franklin or Durant, if we want to go that direction) that we are committed to signing a starting QB. Everyone, Glenn included, knows they're not going to be starting anywhere out of TC.

Funny that having Glenn or a complete nobody at #2 is the exact same effect. In the latter, you have a complete unknown and a good chance they won't be playing unless the starter gets injured, and it's the same with Glenn, who you know exactly what you get- a superb #2 and only #2.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
theaardvark

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 07:47:55 PM »

By spending money on Glenn, it sends a message to Nichols (or Franklin or Durant, if we want to go that direction) that we are committed to signing a starting QB. Everyone, Glenn included, knows they're not going to be starting anywhere out of TC.

Funny that having Glenn or a complete nobody at #2 is the exact same effect. In the latter, you have a complete unknown and a good chance they won't be playing unless the starter gets injured, and it's the same with Glenn, who you know exactly what you get- a superb #2 and only #2.

I guess that's where we differ in opinions.  If you have a ? at QB, either health or performance wise, having a vet #2 at a premium price is probably not a bad idea.  But if you have a healthy proven starter, insurance isn't as important, and developing players becomes moreso.

Having an almost .500 backup QB ready to come in isn't going to win you games.  Might keep things close, and maybe squeak one out, but its not a recipe for success.  But having a player like Reilly was, or Jennings, or Nichols, or Franklin... most starting QB's in the league didn't just step into the spot, they toiled on the roster at #3, and then #2...   but as long as that #2 spot is blocked, they can't get past...

If you miss out on Nichols, and end up with Durant, Burris or Ray, Glenn is your guy.  Or even if you trade for Franklin, sure.  But if it is Nichols or Reilly, Harris, etc), I want a couple young guns back there, developing, pushing the starter... and not costing a vet premium SMS hit.

blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 08:42:38 PM »

I don't want to start another debate on Glenn because I and other have had the same argument with you cyclicly over years. But in any case, I will say that your biggest assumptions are: 1) health of the starter and 2) quality of the unproven QB.

For the first, you say "if you have a healthy proven starter, insurance isn't as important, and developing players becomes moreso." A QB can be healthy today and in the tub for the rest of the season tomorrow. If that becomes the case, I would take a proven Glenn for the rest of the season any day when it comes to replacing the starter long term, unless the younger QB has shown they are capable and have the potential to be good enough one to be a starter some time soon. I would like to "see" Dominique Davis in case Nichols were to go down, but only if the coaches think we aren't flushing the season down. Garbage time, heck yeah, throw the young guy in, no doubt. But to replace long term? We aren't in a position to throw a season to a young player unless we have full confidence in them and I'm not sure we do.

If the Bombers don't re-sign Glenn or a proven #2, I will take it they believe Davis or another is a sure-fit #2, and trust they aren't just willing to take a huge risk. Especially on a team that hasn't won anything in decades.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject, as per the first line of my post.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
DM83

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 04:25:53 AM »

The coaches know what Davis brings.  Nothing.  If they are wise, they sign Glenn and. Keep searching to develop someone.  Or go get someone from someone else's, as usual.
GCn17

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 12:33:51 PM »

1. Justin Medlock...just too good to lose
2. Stanley Bryant...LT and a good one, self explanatory
3. Darvin Adams ... he is our best receiver
4. Kevin Glenn ... a good number 2 is paramount in the CFL
5. Matt Nichols ... if we can't get Franklin then Nichols should be our guy. I don't see him as an immediate priority though.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: