Blue Bombers Forum
August 23, 2019, 04:45:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Congrats to our neighbours at NDSU for latest upset over Iowa  (Read 3046 times)
Tiger

« on: September 20, 2016, 04:06:44 AM »

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/09/17/north-dakota-state-iowa-hawkeyes-bison

These guys are scary

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
Stretch

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 10:15:32 AM »

Discussion on PTI yesterday was that the Big 12 conference should make them an offer to join. That would be pretty cool.

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
Old Rusty

Illegitimi non carborundum

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 11:07:20 AM »

Was watching an NDSU alumnus last night e.g., Carson Wentz. 

As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.
bomber4life85

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 02:56:03 AM »

The lot attendant guy in lot Q at bomber game was mentioning ND being one of the best in the country but they arnt in the big divisions because of funding etc. They have upset big 10 teams multiple times. He said this will be the last game vs a big ten team for a while because they dont want them upsetting teams no more. Not sure how much truth there is in that.
Old Rusty

Illegitimi non carborundum

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 11:11:42 AM »

I think there is a modicum of truth in that story.  Hopefully I'm not sounding like a conspiracy theorist!!  Grin

As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.
Colton

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 01:51:34 PM »

The lot attendant guy in lot Q at bomber game was mentioning ND being one of the best in the country but they arnt in the big divisions because of funding etc. They have upset big 10 teams multiple times. He said this will be the last game vs a big ten team for a while because they dont want them upsetting teams no more. Not sure how much truth there is in that.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the NCAA ever schedules FBS teams against FCS teams. You have to play X games within your conference depending on which you are in, but outside of that you get to set your schedule. There is noone saying they don't want NDSU playing ranked FBS teams anymore due to the upsets, it's just FBS teams that don't want to risk scheduling NDSU themselves as there isn't any reward in it. If you lose it ends your season, if you win it's not worth anything.
hammerbutt

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 02:24:45 PM »

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the NCAA ever schedules FBS teams against FCS teams. You have to play X games within your conference depending on which you are in, but outside of that you get to set your schedule. There is noone saying they don't want NDSU playing ranked FBS teams anymore due to the upsets, it's just FBS teams that don't want to risk scheduling NDSU themselves as there isn't any reward in it. If you lose it ends your season, if you win it's not worth anything.

Yes its the teams themselves that set those games and they don't do it to end up with a loss I'm sure Iowa figured without Wentz they wouldn't still be any good. I'm not sure what secret NDSU has learned about recruiting that has lead to the past 6 years but it sure is impressive. 
Stretch

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 02:48:36 PM »

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the NCAA ever schedules FBS teams against FCS teams. You have to play X games within your conference depending on which you are in, but outside of that you get to set your schedule.

Yep, they schedule their own "guarantee games" against weak opponents, and often cover the costs and throw a few extra $$$ their way. Usually the FBS school beats the life out of the FCS, but once in a while the FCS pulls one off like NDSU did.

I remember reading a story where an FBS team paid a few hundred thousand to a small school who came in and beat them. The amount they got paid for doing so covered their head coach's salary for that year.

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
bomber4life85

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 03:14:43 PM »

Iowa paid NDSU $500,000 to come play this game too.. lol.
Tiger

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »

NDSU has Oregon and someone else scheduled in future years

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: