Blue Bombers Forum
June 17, 2019, 12:52:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: question  (Read 4460 times)
usabluefan

« on: September 13, 2016, 12:47:46 PM »

I saw where Prince William and his family are visiting Canada soon. It reminded me that I'm always a little confused about how Canada's relationship with the UK works. It is my understanding that Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada, but what does that mean as a practical matter? And does she or the UK have any real jurisdiction over Canada?
Thanks. Believe it or not, this wasn't covered in my U.S. school.
gbill2004

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 01:10:01 PM »

I saw where Prince William and his family are visiting Canada soon. It reminded me that I'm always a little confused about how Canada's relationship with the UK works. It is my understanding that Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada, but what does that mean as a practical matter? And does she or the UK have any real jurisdiction over Canada?
Thanks. Believe it or not, this wasn't covered in my U.S. school.
It's more symbolic.  The Queen has no authority over Canada. 
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 01:11:44 PM »

largely a figurehead...

Lieutenant Governor is the Queen's representative.

https://www.royal.uk/canada

Some people get in a fuss either way (pro-monarchy / anti-monarchy)

Doesn't really bother me - I kinda like the connection to the Royals (King's, Queen, Princesses)  Royal weddings, babies..
Old Rusty

Illegitimi non carborundum

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 02:07:31 PM »

largely a figurehead...

Doesn't really bother me - I kinda like the connection to the Royals (King's, Queen, Princesses)  Royal weddings, babies..

This is correct. When the Canadian Constitution was patriated from the UK in 1982 it essentially did away with the vestiges of what was a self-governing British Colony.  Your question is a really good one, because as recently as late last century thats what Canada officially was.   This had political consequences as you can imagine.  For example Canada jumped right into the second world war with the UK declaration, and was active in sending troops way before Pearl Harbour.  Now, Canada's political isolation from the UK is much more defined.  We still have a long history with the UK, for sure. 

The Canada/UK connection is also something I appreciate.  Many Canadians seem to accept this and its a pretty benign connection.

"Lets see if we can hit thirty" - Ming the Merciless (aka. my neighbour) while enjoying one of my beers.

"Suffering Mother of Moses." - Anonymous fan watching 3rd quarter of 2018 Western conference final
usabluefan

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 06:33:40 PM »

This is very interesting. Thank you for the good information.

Was the Canada Act of '82 controversial at all in Canada or in the UK?
Also, are Canadian citizens allowed to move to the UK without the same immigration hurdles that a U.S. citizen, for example, might be subject to?
Old Rusty

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 08:05:59 PM »

This is very interesting. Thank you for the good information.

Was the Canada Act of '82 controversial at all in Canada or in the UK?
Also, are Canadian citizens allowed to move to the UK without the same immigration hurdles that a U.S. citizen, for example, might be subject to?

Pretty controversial in Canada, but I'm not sure the Brits knew about it until it was passed!  Grin

"The patriation battle of 1980-81 originated in the failings of a half century of domestic diplomacy, and the unexpected second chance offered to Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau when the Liberal Party was swept back to power in February 1980. Canadian governments had been trying and failing to agree on a way of patriating and reforming the country's original Constitution, the British North America Act, since the 1920s. Six decades later, constitutional reform became one of several major Liberal initiatives and the federal government's immediate response to the ongoing Qu?bec referendum campaign."

++++++++++++++++

The commonwealth included countries such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.  In my youth, immigration between them was pretty snappy.  Now it is much less so, as all "Commonwealth members" have evolved their own unique immigration policies.  For example, Australia is relatively difficult to immigrate to. 

My grandfather was a UK-Canadian dual citizen from when he moved to Canada as a 16 year old.  He was taken into the Canadian Army in 1938 and immediately shipped to the UK - didn't come back until 1945.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 08:10:29 PM by Old Rusty » Logged

"Lets see if we can hit thirty" - Ming the Merciless (aka. my neighbour) while enjoying one of my beers.

"Suffering Mother of Moses." - Anonymous fan watching 3rd quarter of 2018 Western conference final
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 11:07:28 PM »

largely a figurehead...

It's a fascinating connection to the British Royal Family and former British Empire, and is part of the history of our great nation. I'm in the same boat as you: not bothered by the pro-/anti-monarchy thing.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
TrueBlue75

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 11:37:53 PM »

What I appreciate about our connection to the UK is that it distinguishes us from the United States. So often Canada is compared to or lumped together with the US. However, it's nice to have something the US doesn't have  Grin
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 12:37:33 AM »

The Queen has nothing to do with running anything in England Or Canada.

Id much rather.... and id vote anyday to be attached to England then i ever would the USA.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 12:51:32 AM »

Don't forget about Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Lady Carrickfergus

Aka Kate Middleton

USA has NOBODY like that....
Rhapsody in Blue

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 04:18:39 AM »

Canada is a constitutional monarchy with the Queen being the head of state. http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Senate/Monarchy/senmonarchy_00-e.htm

largely a figurehead...

The Governor General is the Queen's representative. The Governor General appoints Lieutenant Governors in each province on behalf of the Queen.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 12:14:43 PM »

Canada is a constitutional monarchy with the Queen being the head of state. http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Senate/Monarchy/senmonarchy_00-e.htm

The Governor General is the Queen's representative. The Governor General appoints Lieutenant Governors in each province on behalf of the Queen.

you are correct GG is the national rep and LG is the provincial...

and for those that are old enough - we used to sing Oh Canada at the start of the day and God Save the Queen at the end of day in school...prob stopped the latter around Grade 3 or 4 for me...
TrueBlue75

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 12:18:35 PM »

and for those that are old enough - we used to sing Oh Canada at the start of the day and God Save the Queen at the end of day in school...prob stopped the latter around Grade 3 or 4 for me...

It took me until I was a young adult to realize that God Save the Queen was actually the British national anthem. I always thought it was just another Canadian "anthem". I believe it was the Olympics that helped me discover this Grin
usabluefan

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 04:32:41 PM »

Can anyone recommend any good books that provide sort a general overview of Canadian history?
Old Rusty

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 01:43:50 PM »

I went to Churchill High School in south Winnipeg.  The drill was God save the Queen over the intercom in the am.  They blazed it from a vinyl record/stereo via microphone, and you could always hear the principals chatting up the secretaries for the first few bars..  Grin
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:45:47 PM by Old Rusty » Logged

Old Rusty

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 01:46:04 PM »

Can anyone recommend any good books that provide sort a general overview of Canadian history?

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/

Worth a shot. Obviously not a book.  Pierre Burton was a very well respected Canadian author and history buff, his collection may have something useful for you.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:47:36 PM by Old Rusty » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: