Blue Bombers Forum
June 27, 2019, 04:18:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL under way - Panthers vs Broncos  (Read 8849 times)
Colton

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 04:21:29 PM »

I couldn't believe he was allowed to continue to play. I thought the NFL hired independent doctors to stop games and pull players out for this reason. In my opinion, leaving him in there was dangerous

Jesse

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 04:35:14 PM »

I couldn't believe he was allowed to continue to play. I thought the NFL hired independent doctors to stop games and pull players out for this reason. In my opinion, leaving him in there was dangerous

Those images tell the story, that's for sure.

He needs to be pulled in that instant and put through the proper protocols.  I don't care what point in the game it is. And you're right, that call should be made by independent doctors watching, not the coaching staff.

My wife is amazing!
theaardvark

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 04:39:19 PM »

I think the end of that video sums it all up.  BOOM. Limp rag doll layng on teh ground, not moving.

Yup, he's fine... send him back in, just got his bell rung.

What is this, 1945?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Colton

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 04:58:53 PM »

I think the end of that video sums it all up.  BOOM. Limp rag doll layng on teh ground, not moving.

Yup, he's fine... send him back in, just got his bell rung.

What is this, 1945?

I think he did get up pretty quick after the video cuts, but the fact remains he took a vicious hit to the head, and then immediately hits his head again roughly falling to the ground. That's got to be worth an evaluation I would think, but I suppose I'm not a doctor.

I believe he also took a shot to the head in the 4th while going out along the sidelines on a 5-10 yard rush that isn't included here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:00:28 PM by Colton » Logged
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »

And if that's the new "concussion protocol", then we're in for a disaster soon...

Newton plays a different QB game, for sure.  He's a freakish specimen.  And because he's so big, he's less likely to get the roughing the passer calls, etc. 

But that shouldn't preclude him from concussion protocols.

You're not wrong, I just don't know what the best way to go about implementing the protocol. If a quarterback (or any player) has to go off every single time he's hit in the head that will only increase the number of head shots they receive, especially late in the game. Final drive? Hit a QB to the head and automatically his back up is on the way in. That would be a big problem for football. We know that not every hit to the head results in a concussion but we also know that sometimes the symptoms of a concussion don't show up until as much as 48 hours later or more. How then do you determine if a player needs to enter the protocol? It's a lot less black and white than people pretend. If Cam Newton doesn't have any concussion symptoms and plays next week, and had the NFL pulled Newton from the game, you've needlessly ruined the ending of that football game. You might argue that's the price of ensuring safety but I can certainly see the other side of the argument. I'm not sure what is best, and I don't think football (players and owners) have figured it out yet either.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:11:21 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 05:17:32 PM »

You're not wrong, I just don't know what the best way to go about implementing the protocol. If a quarterback (or any player) has to go off every single time he's hit in the head that will only increase the number of head shots they receive, especially late in the game. Final drive? Hit a QB to the head and automatically his back up is on the way in. That would be a big problem for football. We know that not every hit to the head results in a concussion but we also know that sometimes the symptoms of a concussion don't show up until as much as 48 hours later or more. How then do you determine if a player needs to enter the protocol? It's a lot less black and white than people pretend. If Cam Newton doesn't have any concussion symptoms and plays next week, and had the NFL pulled Newton from the game, you've needlessly ruined the ending of that football game. You might argue that's the price of ensuring safety but I can certainly see the other side of the argument. I'm not sure what is best, and I don't think football (players and owners) have figured it out yet either.

agreed no simple/easy answer....BUT...they have to call the penalties when they happen - I think some of those shots weren't called earlier in the game...be consistent, be strong - maybe toss the guy along with the penalty the first time it happens.

is there an option of having an injury time-out (time to evalute) without the player leaving for 3 plays?  for head shots only??

Had he taken another blow like that the very next play - what happens then?

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 05:32:04 PM »

agreed no simple/easy answer....BUT...they have to call the penalties when they happen - I think some of those shots weren't called earlier in the game...be consistent, be strong - maybe toss the guy along with the penalty the first time it happens.

is there an option of having an injury time-out (time to evalute) without the player leaving for 3 plays?  for head shots only??

Maybe although that would certainly increase the length of games as it could happen multiple times a quarter. Perhaps a start might to be allow for a situation room similar to the CFL, with spotters that can radio down to referees in real time when a head shot occurs so they can flag them more regularly.

If you're going to make it so that quarterbacks need to sit out after all head shots for evaluation then you're going to have to seriously increase the penalty for a head shot. It would probably take something like an automatic suspension and game ejection, although you'd still have defenders purposely do it late in big games. Of course there are tons of problems with that too...and so again, no real easy answer.
theaardvark

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 09:03:04 PM »

He hit the ground like a dead puppy.  He was limp as noodles.  I don't care what the situation is, that's an immediate concussion protocol situation.

As for guys trying to take ou a QB with a head shot late in the game, there should be a suspension coming for this hit, and if the league sees this happening as a ploy to take a player out of the game, then it should become an even larger suspension... 

Its not like head hits haven't been used this way in the past... its just that now triggering the protocol is a little easier than actually taking his head clean off...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: