Blue Bombers Forum
June 17, 2019, 12:52:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL under way - Panthers vs Broncos  (Read 8795 times)
Old Rusty

Illegitimi non carborundum

« on: September 09, 2016, 02:56:12 AM »

Don't know if anyone caught this game.  Denver won 21-20.  They were quite lucky in that the Carolina kicker missed in the final seconds.

Cam Newton got a crown of the helmet hit to the chin in the final minutes.  Can't believe he wasn't concussed.  Dirty hit... they call it a mere personal foul. 

Unfair and a lousy call in what was otherwise a really good game. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:59:05 AM by Old Rusty » Logged

"Lets see if we can hit thirty" - Ming the Merciless (aka. my neighbour) while enjoying one of my beers.

"Suffering Mother of Moses." - Anonymous fan watching 3rd quarter of 2018 Western conference final
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 03:25:06 AM »

Awesome game! Great way to kick off the season. I'm not a huge fan of either team but Denver winning surprised me. Their rookie QB looked pretty decent and the pass rush got to Cam Newton in a big way. Denver looks like they'll be a contender again.
theaardvark

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 03:39:53 AM »

Don't know if anyone caught this game.  Denver won 21-20.  They were quite lucky in that the Carolina kicker missed in the final seconds.

Cam Newton got a crown of the helmet hit to the chin in the final minutes.  Can't believe he wasn't concussed.  Dirty hit... they call it a mere personal foul. 

Unfair and a lousy call in what was otherwise a really good game. 

Worse than that, he was obviously in distress, and should have been put into concussion protocol.  But they left him in there to finish the game. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 11:58:45 AM »

Worse than that, he was obviously in distress, and should have been put into concussion protocol.  But they left him in there to finish the game. 

...How was it obvious, specifically? I watched the entire game, he certainly cooled off in the second half, but other than some rushed passes that were not typical Cam Newton passes he didn't seem distressed at all. He was running with confidence and authority until the final drive and wasn't sliding either.

The helmet to helmet shots looked bad, there were a couple, but nothing from Cam Newton made it 'obvious' that he was in 'distress'. In fact, it looked like his ankle/lower leg was bothering him more than anything else, sustained after his feet got caught under him on one of those hits.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 12:01:14 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »

The missed helmet-to-helmet hits were pretty brutal. Not a bad way to kick off the 2016 NFL season otherwise.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
theaardvark

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 12:27:22 PM »

...How was it obvious, specifically? I watched the entire game, he certainly cooled off in the second half, but other than some rushed passes that were not typical Cam Newton passes he didn't seem distressed at all. He was running with confidence and authority until the final drive and wasn't sliding either.

The helmet to helmet shots looked bad, there were a couple, but nothing from Cam Newton made it 'obvious' that he was in 'distress'. In fact, it looked like his ankle/lower leg was bothering him more than anything else, sustained after his feet got caught under him on one of those hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdnfjZj5Gg0

Listen to the commentators, watch the video, "writhing on the ground", if there hadn't been multiple penalties they had to work out, no way he makes it back top the LOS to take a snap in time and they have to call to the sidelines for assistance, and no time outs left...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 12:43:52 PM »

I think distress might be exagerrrated but the last shot to the head on the final drive was brutal...it seems that EVERYONE including the announcers knew he was "out on his feet" to some degree....everyone except the medical folks who looked at the video...this deadspin article sums it up pretty good...

http://deadspin.com/cam-newtons-night-was-hard-to-watch-1786426230  Cam doesn't remember going through concussion protocol...or at least the questions they asked casue not sure he went through the protocol - which seems strange in itself..

I love football, I love the NFL, i will watch football over hockey most days...but unless they do something about stuff like this someone is going to die on the field.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 12:52:26 PM by The Zipp » Logged
blue_or_die

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 01:00:31 PM »

Pretty despicable re: the helmet hits. Cam Newton is my favourite athlete playing for my favourite NFL team, so I hated seeing that. I can't believe he got up and got the team into FG range.

The 'ol icing the kicker worked, as Gano made a tough kick as the TO was called.

Tough way to lose. Credit to the Denver D, who plays like a swarm of hornets who had their nest pissed on. Carolina D was great too. Kuech wouldn't allow anything up the middle and their LBs were always in good pass protection. That big rec Benjamin...wow are we happy to have him back this year! Reminds me of Megatron. He also reminds me of Calvin Johnson.
Old Rusty

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 01:01:05 PM »

It was the last series, final drive, perhaps the 3rd or 4th last play in the game.  Newton was crown helmeted on the chin.  He was groggy, in pain, and slow to get up while on his knees.
He was definitely hurting!

"Lets see if we can hit thirty" - Ming the Merciless (aka. my neighbour) while enjoying one of my beers.

"Suffering Mother of Moses." - Anonymous fan watching 3rd quarter of 2018 Western conference final
Old Rusty

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »

Pretty despicable re: the helmet hits. Cam Newton is my favourite athlete playing for my favourite NFL team, so I hated seeing that. I can't believe he got up and got the team into FG range.

The 'ol icing the kicker worked, as Gano made a tough kick as the TO was called.

Tough way to lose. Credit to the Denver D, who plays like a swarm of hornets who had their nest pissed on. Carolina D was great too. Kuech wouldn't allow anything up the middle and their LBs were always in good pass protection. That big rec Benjamin...wow are we happy to have him back this year! Reminds me of Megatron. He also reminds me of Calvin Johnson.

This guy is a total beast.  I can't believe how huge he is.

The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 01:08:23 PM »

I was watching at the gym with no sound, did Newton also get called for intentional on that play, because after the hit and everything was settled the graphic showed 2nd and 10?
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 01:15:07 PM »

I was watching at the gym with no sound, did Newton also get called for intentional on that play, because after the hit and everything was settled the graphic showed 2nd and 10?

yah...seems a bit unfair but that is the rules...
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdnfjZj5Gg0

Listen to the commentators, watch the video, "writhing on the ground", if there hadn't been multiple penalties they had to work out, no way he makes it back top the LOS to take a snap in time and they have to call to the sidelines for assistance, and no time outs left...

That's true. He got popped pretty good there. Although he got up and looked fine afterwards...
theaardvark

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 02:12:10 PM »

Offsetting.

theaardvark

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 02:14:19 PM »

That's true. He got popped pretty good there. Although he got up and looked fine afterwards...

And if that's the new "concussion protocol", then we're in for a disaster soon...

Newton plays a different QB game, for sure.  He's a freakish specimen.  And because he's so big, he's less likely to get the roughing the passer calls, etc. 

But that shouldn't preclude him from concussion protocols.

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: