Blue Bombers Forum
September 18, 2019, 11:57:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: fitness watches/trackers  (Read 6205 times)
BomberPride

« on: September 02, 2016, 01:06:30 PM »

any recommendations? reviews on personal experiences?

I'm looking for a multi-sport one. I do more than just run and it would be great to track calories burned/intensity. I've narrowed it down to Garmin and the fit bit surge.

What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?
The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »

Anyone here use Nike+? I used it since 2010 on my iPod/phone and it was great. Then they updated it without warning a week or 2 ago and it became Nike+ Run Club. Seems a huge majority of the users absolutely hate it, lots of complaints and problems. I was expecting the worst the first couple of times I used it but I don't think it's that bad. Still some bugs but the new features are good.
Is anyone else here using it? I need to add some friends!
BomberPride

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 01:36:39 PM »

Anyone here use Nike+? I used it since 2010 on my iPod/phone and it was great. Then they updated it without warning a week or 2 ago and it became Nike+ Run Club. Seems a huge majority of the users absolutely hate it, lots of complaints and problems. I was expecting the worst the first couple of times I used it but I don't think it's that bad. Still some bugs but the new features are good.
Is anyone else here using it? I need to add some friends!

that used to be my favourite fitness app. I loved it. It sort of disappeared when I updated my iPod touch awhile back and never got around to using it again. I've heard the same thing about Nike+ Run.

I don't update my technology (I still use my ipod touch from 2010) so I'm not sure if that would work well if I download it again. Do you need the sensor on your shoe? Is that still a thing?

Jesse

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 01:37:02 PM »

I use mapmyrun for my jogs.

I had a Fitbit flex, but it was just a glorified step counter.

My wife is amazing!

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 02:17:57 PM »

any recommendations? reviews on personal experiences?

I'm looking for a multi-sport one. I do more than just run and it would be great to track calories burned/intensity. I've narrowed it down to Garmin and the fit bit surge.

Strangely enough a coworker came up to me out of the blue a couple of minutes ago raving about the Fitbit Charge HR she just got. The Garmin unit I bought for me wife is comparable to that, but doesn't it look as good as the similar Fitbit model. Perhaps Fitbit is the superior overall brand? The Surge you have in mind looks pretty impressive.
BomberPride

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 02:33:28 PM »

I use mapmyrun for my jogs.

I had a Fitbit flex, but it was just a glorified step counter.

I find a lot of trackers ARE just glorified step counters and you can find one for at least $50. But I guess it depends on what you want it to do for you. If I was just running I would probably suck it up and use my phone on a run, which I don't really like doing. At most I bring my ipod. Its an older model so it doesn't have any fancy wifi or anything.

Strangely enough a coworker came up to me out of the blue a couple of minutes ago raving about the Fitbit Charge HR she just got. The Garmin unit I bought for me wife is comparable to that, but doesn't it look as good as the similar Fitbit model. Perhaps Fitbit is the superior overall brand? The Surge you have in mind looks pretty impressive.

fitbit does get a lot of good reviews, but it's also more expensive compared to the Garmin equivalent. A co-worker of mine has a Garmin multi sport watch, but the surge definitely looks nicer. However, I think Garmin makes their trackers waterproof which is a plus.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 03:18:55 PM »

that used to be my favourite fitness app. I loved it. It sort of disappeared when I updated my iPod touch awhile back and never got around to using it again. I've heard the same thing about Nike+ Run.

I don't update my technology (I still use my ipod touch from 2010) so I'm not sure if that would work well if I download it again. Do you need the sensor on your shoe? Is that still a thing?

I was using an iPod nano 4th generation which required the sensor. The sensor finally died about 3 weeks ago so now I am forced to use the phone because it doesn't need the sensor. Not sure if your touch will need one. If it does and you don't have one yet I don't think you'll ever find one. I had a hell of a time two years ago trying to find a shoe that would fit the sensor, actually had to buy a fuel pouch that attached to my shoelace but fit it perfectly.
Too bad the sensor died, using the iPod was great because it was so small and light.
BomberPride

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »

I think the only shoe that would accommodate the sensor was Nike, otherwise it was $80 for the sensor that clips on to the shoe lace.

Kinda crazy how far technology has come over the last 5 years.

Colton

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »

If you want to go a really cheap route, armbands for your phone are a decent solution. I've wanted to use a fitness watch/tracker but already wear an actual watch I don't want to have to replace when I go for runs. I decided to just get an armband for my phone and rely on it tracking well enough for my purposes (Which it seems to do). It's also great for Pokemon Go :p
Old Rusty

Illegitimi non carborundum

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 11:06:30 PM »

If you want to go a really cheap route, armbands for your phone are a decent solution. I've wanted to use a fitness watch/tracker but already wear an actual watch I don't want to have to replace when I go for runs. I decided to just get an armband for my phone and rely on it tracking well enough for my purposes (Which it seems to do). It's also great for Pokemon Go :p

Agree, I've been doing this for years.

As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.
BomberPride

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »

Wound up getting the Surge 2nd hand, and ordering a charge cord online for about $7. For "multi sport" it will track up to 7 categories of whatever exercise. It will track calorie burns and heart rate for indoor workouts like treadmill, elliptical, weights, spinning and a generic "workout" platform. It will let you know if you know if you are in the fat burning, cardio, peak zone with it's little heart rate icon. I was actually a little bit surprised of how little calories I was burning during my strength training session, but it did measure my fat burning %. It'll use the built in GPS to record your runs (free runs and laps) and hikes. You do not need to carry your phone with you, the watch will store the data and load it to your phone on it's next sync. It does track sleep through both the app and watch. You'll get a way more accurate reading by wearing the watch while you sleep, obviously, because it will measure your "restless" states and break that down into how good of a sleep you are getting. To be fair, I didn't need a watch to tell me how well I was sleeping. But I understand why some people would.

You can add whatever sport into your "exercise" platform like golf, soccer, etc through the app on your phone which is needed to track your results, then load it to your watch. The App itself seems a bit buggy and sometimes takes a while to load certain pages. I would hope that updates would be rolling around soon. However, the graphs and breakdown of your workouts are pretty neat. It will tell you how much of your exercise was fat burning, % of cardio and your peak. From what I've heard these graphs are way easier than the Garmin Vivoactive.

In terms of user friendly, it was pretty easy to set up. You will need to download the app and it basically walks you through the set up. Battery life: I'll have to wait till my charge cord comes in but I've had it since Saturday and it definitely needs recharging. Then again, it wasn't fully charged when I got it. The watch uses Bluetooth to sync to your phone and there is a WiFi dongle that can connect to your computer to upload your progress as well. You can also control your music on your phone through your watch via Bluetooth. I own an android but carry music on my iPod so I don't know how well this works. I can see the watch face clearly in daylight and indoors. No real issues with the back lighting. I've noticed the watch dims during sleep but a shake of he wrist and it lights up. Watch isn't waterproof, which seems a little silly considering the "multi-sport" tag and the price (Garmin equivalent is waterproof). I'm not one for wearing my watch in the shower anyway and don't really swim laps. Apparently you can still log your swim through the app though. If you sweat a lot, that won't affect it. I do wipe it down after a particularly sweaty session.

I'm not bothered by the strap. Be wary of the measuring. I measured my wrist via the guide and it told me I needed a size large.  I have a small and I still have notches to spare. The wrist band is a regular watch band style with the clasp so no issues with it coming off.The watch does have smart watch capabilities. It alerts you when you've received a text or a phone call, but your phone has to be near you for this to happen. It's basic tracking will count steps, heart beat, floors climbed, and distance walked through the day. You can add your daily meals through the app and it will calculate your intake/output calories required to maintain, lose, or gain weight.

Overall, it's a neat watch. If you're serious into training and breaking down the technicalities of your workouts then this is the watch for you. A lot of people use fitbit as a means to stay motivated and accountability for weightloss, but for about $100 less I would recommend something like the charge HR. Or, if you already use your phone for everything get a few apps.

94FormZ

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 12:11:24 AM »

I just use mio, all it does is tell time, take heart rate and talk to apps like map my run so you can graph heart rate with your run. Which is basically all anybody really needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Mio-Alpha-Heart-Monitor-Sports/dp/B00DEQ7WVM

Comfortable to wear too.( but I only wear it when jogging)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:13:53 AM by 94FormZ » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 12:21:22 AM »

Wound up getting the Surge 2nd hand, and ordering a charge cord online for about $7. For "multi sport" it will track up to 7 categories of whatever exercise. It will track calorie burns and heart rate for indoor workouts like treadmill, elliptical, weights, spinning and a generic "workout" platform. It will let you know if you know if you are in the fat burning, cardio, peak zone with it's little heart rate icon. I was actually a little bit surprised of how little calories I was burning during my strength training session, but it did measure my fat burning %. It'll use the built in GPS to record your runs (free runs and laps) and hikes. You do not need to carry your phone with you, the watch will store the data and load it to your phone on it's next sync. It does track sleep through both the app and watch. You'll get a way more accurate reading by wearing the watch while you sleep, obviously, because it will measure your "restless" states and break that down into how good of a sleep you are getting. To be fair, I didn't need a watch to tell me how well I was sleeping. But I understand why some people would.

You can add whatever sport into your "exercise" platform like golf, soccer, etc through the app on your phone which is needed to track your results, then load it to your watch. The App itself seems a bit buggy and sometimes takes a while to load certain pages. I would hope that updates would be rolling around soon. However, the graphs and breakdown of your workouts are pretty neat. It will tell you how much of your exercise was fat burning, % of cardio and your peak. From what I've heard these graphs are way easier than the Garmin Vivoactive.

In terms of user friendly, it was pretty easy to set up. You will need to download the app and it basically walks you through the set up. Battery life: I'll have to wait till my charge cord comes in but I've had it since Saturday and it definitely needs recharging. Then again, it wasn't fully charged when I got it. The watch uses Bluetooth to sync to your phone and there is a WiFi dongle that can connect to your computer to upload your progress as well. You can also control your music on your phone through your watch via Bluetooth. I own an android but carry music on my iPod so I don't know how well this works. I can see the watch face clearly in daylight and indoors. No real issues with the back lighting. I've noticed the watch dims during sleep but a shake of he wrist and it lights up. Watch isn't waterproof, which seems a little silly considering the "multi-sport" tag and the price (Garmin equivalent is waterproof). I'm not one for wearing my watch in the shower anyway and don't really swim laps. Apparently you can still log your swim through the app though. If you sweat a lot, that won't affect it. I do wipe it down after a particularly sweaty session.

I'm not bothered by the strap. Be wary of the measuring. I measured my wrist via the guide and it told me I needed a size large.  I have a small and I still have notches to spare. The wrist band is a regular watch band style with the clasp so no issues with it coming off.The watch does have smart watch capabilities. It alerts you when you've received a text or a phone call, but your phone has to be near you for this to happen. It's basic tracking will count steps, heart beat, floors climbed, and distance walked through the day. You can add your daily meals through the app and it will calculate your intake/output calories required to maintain, lose, or gain weight.

Overall, it's a neat watch. If you're serious into training and breaking down the technicalities of your workouts then this is the watch for you. A lot of people use fitbit as a means to stay motivated and accountability for weightloss, but for about $100 less I would recommend something like the charge HR. Or, if you already use your phone for everything get a few apps.

Sounds like you made a good choice.

If you don't mind me asking, what price did you find it for?

My wife is amazing!
94FormZ

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 03:31:16 AM »

Strength training you don't burn a many calories during the workout as cardio, however you get two benefits that cardio won't provide as well as strench training.. Faster metabolism and larger muscles that require more energy which causes more fat to get burned in future workouts.

The calories burned portion is simply a calculation based off heart rate and intensity level, I don't trust those calculations because they don't take into account metabolism or muscle mass.

How does your watch calculate fat burning %? Does it just look at how long you worked out in a certain heart rate zone? Just curious cause most people jog at a fairly fast pace and get their heart rate into zone 4/5 , that will make the body want to burn glycogen stores before fat stores.
BomberPride

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 01:52:15 PM »

94FormZ - Heard a lot of good things about Mio (for comfort), and concur with calories/strength training. Again, was just surprised to actually see it. For strength trg I use TRX (highly recommend BTW), so considering the exertion used, I was kind of expecting more. Fat burning I believe they base it off your heart rate and how long it stays in that range. When I did my cardio portion (40 min interval training, 30 seconds intensity, one minute rest) the graph showed 1 minute peak, 30 min of cardio, and 18 minutes fat burn. Weight/height/age is pre-entered in the app to "accurately" calculate your totals.

Jesse - I paid $160 for the surge, then ordered the charge cord off of amazon for $6.99.

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: