Is there a better show on TV...

Started by The Zipp, December 01, 2015, 04:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 31, 2019, 11:45:49 PM
Last weekend's episode was nuts. That ending blew me away.

Anyone catch the season 2 opener of Knightfall? I enjoyed it.

Yah.  I enjoyed Knightfall, looks like season 2 will be good!!

blue_or_die

Just started the Netflix show "Thirteen". It's very intense and heavy but so well done. It's only 5-1 hour long episodes and I will be finishing it this week. Very captivating (no pun intended).
#Ride?

BlueInCgy

Watched both seasons of Goliath on Amazon.  Notwithstanding the fact the Billy Bob seemingly gets typecast into the "hopeless miserable drunk who ends up doing good" role, first season was excellent.  Second season was good, but a little bit out there.

Also watched Jack Ryan and the Widow (amazing how much TV you watch when you're on the road a lot).  Jack Ryan was really good, but I'm a fan of the books, so I may not be objective in that regard.  The Widow was OK for what it was, it's just not what I wanted it to be (Kate Beckinsale as the revenge seeking gun toting wife was what I was hoping for, and without ruining it for anyone who hasn't watched it, it wasn't that).

The Amazon stuff is interesting, as most of it seems to be written like standalone mini series, which both kind of works and kind of doesn't at the same time.

blue_or_die

Quote from: BlueInCgy on April 02, 2019, 07:14:30 PM
Watched both seasons of Goliath on Amazon.  Notwithstanding the fact the Billy Bob seemingly gets typecast into the "hopeless miserable drunk who ends up doing good" role, first season was excellent.  Second season was good, but a little bit out there.

Also watched Jack Ryan and the Widow (amazing how much TV you watch when you're on the road a lot).  Jack Ryan was really good, but I'm a fan of the books, so I may not be objective in that regard.  The Widow was OK for what it was, it's just not what I wanted it to be (Kate Beckinsale as the revenge seeking gun toting wife was what I was hoping for, and without ruining it for anyone who hasn't watched it, it wasn't that).

The Amazon stuff is interesting, as most of it seems to be written like standalone mini series, which both kind of works and kind of doesn't at the same time.

I have a Prime membership and only recently realized I get Amazon Video as part of that. I only quickly browsed their offerings. Some seem a little out there. If you have any other recommendations, I'm all ears, although I don't usually watch that much TV.
#Ride?

BlueInCgy

Quote from: blue_or_die on April 03, 2019, 01:14:21 PM
I have a Prime membership and only recently realized I get Amazon Video as part of that. I only quickly browsed their offerings. Some seem a little out there. If you have any other recommendations, I'm all ears, although I don't usually watch that much TV.

Jack Ryan and Bosch are good, both based on series novels.  The nice thing about Jack Ryan is it goes back before the books began, so it's not just an adaptation of something you may have already read.  I don't read a lot of the Harry Bosch series (Michael Connelly), so I can't say if it's just an adaptation.

Goliath, as noted above, is really good.

The Tick is alright, I preferred the original Fox comedy version.

The Widow reminds me of the movie Blood Diamond, only four times as long.

Haven't checked out the Julia Roberts series yet.

blue_or_die

Quote from: BlueInCgy on April 03, 2019, 01:56:10 PM
Jack Ryan and Bosch are good, both based on series novels.  The nice thing about Jack Ryan is it goes back before the books began, so it's not just an adaptation of something you may have already read.  I don't read a lot of the Harry Bosch series (Michael Connelly), so I can't say if it's just an adaptation.

Goliath, as noted above, is really good.

The Tick is alright, I preferred the original Fox comedy version.

The Widow reminds me of the movie Blood Diamond, only four times as long.

Haven't checked out the Julia Roberts series yet.

Thanks!
#Ride?

The Zipp

Anyone watch the first two Twilight Zone episodes?  I have them pvr'ed but not watched yet...I really liked the original as a kid...hopefully this delivers some chills and makes your mind whirl a bit.

66 Chevelle

Quote from: blue_or_die on April 03, 2019, 01:14:21 PM

not sure if you get the same viewing options on your Prime subscription as we do down south but... I really enjoyed "Justified" and the tv series "Friday Night Lights"... both have multiple season, (Justified 6 seasons, FNL 5 seasons) but you don't have to keep looking for new series to watch, lol... loved them both and have watched both multiple times...
just because you can doesn't mean you should...

blue_or_die

Quote from: 66 Chevelle on April 06, 2019, 03:00:54 AM
not sure if you get the same viewing options on your Prime subscription as we do down south but... I really enjoyed "Justified" and the tv series "Friday Night Lights"... both have multiple season, (Justified 6 seasons, FNL 5 seasons) but you don't have to keep looking for new series to watch, lol... loved them both and have watched both multiple times...

Cool, thanks. I have always wanted to get into FNL but just never sat down to give it a chance yet.
#Ride?

BlueInCgy

Quote from: 66 Chevelle on April 06, 2019, 03:00:54 AM

Without actually checking into it, it's a safe bet it's not the same as in the US (and probably not even close besides the Amazon Original Programming). 

Amazon in Canada has some really weird rules/deficiencies which don't exist in the service platforms in other locations.  Point in case, Audible, an Amazon owned company, does not have a compatible app available in Canada for the any of the Echo/Fire products (even though it exists in the States and it exists on both Android and IOS platforms in Canada), so even though I have an Audible membership which shows up through my Amazon account, I can't play those items on either my Fire Tablet (which isn't a great unit to begin with, but it's fine for travelling to areas of the world where if it gets stolen I don't care) or on my Echo system at home.

66 Chevelle

Quote from: blue_or_die on April 08, 2019, 01:00:01 PM
Cool, thanks. I have always wanted to get into FNL but just never sat down to give it a chance yet.

while it's a great football oriented program revolving around a small town in Texax, the characters and the writing really make the show... full hearts, clear eyes, can't lose...  ;D

66 Chevelle

Quote from: BlueInCgy on April 08, 2019, 04:16:10 PM
Without actually checking into it, it's a safe bet it's not the same as in the US (and probably not even close besides the Amazon Original Programming). 

Amazon in Canada has some really weird rules/deficiencies which don't exist in the service platforms in other locations.  Point in case, Audible, an Amazon owned company, does not have a compatible app available in Canada for the any of the Echo/Fire products (even though it exists in the States and it exists on both Android and IOS platforms in Canada), so even though I have an Audible membership which shows up through my Amazon account, I can't play those items on either my Fire Tablet (which isn't a great unit to begin with, but it's fine for travelling to areas of the world where if it gets stolen I don't care) or on my Echo system at home.

you know, I get why network TV was a problem and why there is separate programming between the US and Canada.... but the whole internet the firm lines drawn in the sand about viewing... just seems more than just a little silly.... or, if there is a legit reason for it, I can't really what the harm would be in ABC in the US working out an agreement to allow there programming to be viewed on both Netflix US and CA, but if you subscribe to one or the other, why couldn't you be allowed to pay maybe a couple bucks more and have access to both versions?

what really irks me though is this... when I come to Canada I can access my US apps that I have on my phone, because it thinks I'm still in the US based on the phone number I assume, yet I can't access the same app or service via my laptop... after all, I've paid for the service, or it's included in other services that I have paid for, why do they care where I'm physically watching it from?

The Zipp

10 minutes till the battle of Winterfell...

Not gonna lie - pretty nervous/excited about this episode

The Zipp

Quote from: The Zipp on April 29, 2019, 12:52:56 AM
10 minutes till the battle of Winterfell...

Not gonna lie - pretty nervous/excited about this episode

Whew...intense 90 minutes.

Pigskin

Arya Stark ends up the hero. Nice.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.