NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockitch

Great victory by the Rangers and what a super effort by Shesterkin
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

Sherstiken won that game.  In the limited time I watched, the Bolts had zero puck luck, pucks bounced over sticks on for sure goal setups...

If the Bolts win game 2, and take home ice advantage, I can see it going 7 with the bolts winning... but they need game 2
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Oilers are going to have to try and play some D tonight.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Oilers completely shut down tonight.

blue_gold_84

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/tempe-city-council-votes-to-continue-negotiating-arena-deal-with-coyotes/

Tempe city council has voted to open negotiations over a proposal for a new home for the Arizona Coyotes.

The vote, which was 5-2, took place at the end of a marathon eight-hour special session held by the city council for the city, which is a suburb of Phoenix. Comments from more than 100 citizens and the reading of more than 220 written statements were included in the meeting.

The vote does not signal an approval of the arena, but opens the door for further study and public input on the nearly $2 billion project.

The meeting was held after the city issued a request for proposal almost a year ago for a sports and entertainment district at a 46-acre site that is currently a dump. Another wrinkle to the location is that it falls near the end of a runway at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

The airport authorities, who also made a presentation at the meeting, were adamant that any proposal should not proceed if it included residential development, due to noise hazard.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman spoke remotely and promised the new arena would be given both an All-Star Game and the NHL Draft if built. Bettman also said that the Coyotes would not be allowed to move for 30 years.

The Coyotes have already made arrangements to play for at least the next three seasons at the 4,700-seat Arizona State University arena, beginning this fall.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Why are the Coyotes out of Glendale?  Are they usin that arena for something else?  Are they redeveloping it?  Because it was a decent building and holds (well, can hold) more than 5000 fans and they can put their logo at centre ice...

If its just because the yotes can't pay their bills, how much rent is better than zero rent?  Sure, you have fewer expense on a vacant property, but surely the businesses around it generate taxes, and the yotes can pay something... they'll have to at ASU...

I get that it has been a contentious relationship since they arrived... but running out the clock on the bldg while the yotes find a new home seems a win/win... wheras this situation everyone loses in.

Maybe they end up in Quebec City for a couple years...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on June 03, 2022, 05:46:10 PM
Why are the Coyotes out of Glendale?  Are they usin that arena for something else?  Are they redeveloping it?  Because it was a decent building and holds (well, can hold) more than 5000 fans and they can put their logo at centre ice...

If its just because the yotes can't pay their bills, how much rent is better than zero rent?  Sure, you have fewer expense on a vacant property, but surely the businesses around it generate taxes, and the yotes can pay something... they'll have to at ASU...

I get that it has been a contentious relationship since they arrived... but running out the clock on the bldg while the yotes find a new home seems a win/win... wheras this situation everyone loses in.

Maybe they end up in Quebec City for a couple years...

It's a ridiculously odd situation with that franchise, but that's been the case for years now.

What I don't understand is why the NHL continues to coddle the Coyotes despite the myriad of problems that have plagued the franchise for at least the last decade or so. I mean, the financial issues alone should've been reason enough to relocate the franchise some years ago but the league, Bettman in particular, maintains his support. It's weird.

I doubt Quebec City is an option for relocation of this franchise but I'm basing that purely - and speculatively - on the Coyotes being moved to the Central Division last year. To me, that seems like it could be a safety net of sorts in the event the Coyotes are relocated, to a city like Houston or Kansas City without disrupting the divisions.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jockitch

The word "coddle" as earlier mentioned is perfect in explaining the history of this travesty
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

GOLDMEMBER

This just in the Oilers suck! Mike Smith is a siv again.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Pigskin

Tampa with 51 shots win a close one.

theaardvark

So, should Kane be suspended? 

For the rest of the season? 

So, 1 game?

theaardvark

He got the rest of the season...

One game

Wonder how this affects his chances of a "redemption contract" for next year.  For all the good he did, is all that out the window now?

Jesse

Probably doesn't affect it at all.

His negative attributes have nothing to do with the on-ice product. He's never been a dirty player. One suspension doesn't change that.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on June 06, 2022, 02:08:44 PM
Probably doesn't affect it at all.

His negative attributes have nothing to do with the on-ice product. He's never been a dirty player. One suspension doesn't change that.

Its getting suspended for the most important game of the season... but hey, yeah, he's not a dirty player.  Just one not in the lineup when you need him most because of a dumb play.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on June 06, 2022, 03:11:30 PM
Its getting suspended for the most important game of the season... but hey, yeah, he's not a dirty player.  Just one not in the lineup when you need him most because of a dumb play.

Yeah, I don't want him on my team.

It's just not something that's going to come up in contract negotiations. He has lots of other stuff that will, of course.
My wife is amazing!