NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_or_die

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on February 25, 2020, 09:12:35 PM
Well the kids aint winning a Cup and one day they all need to be payed and we have seen this in ED and now the Leafs.

As much as i believe in draft n develop in this case i may look at making trades. Bring in a solid leader on O and another on the D to help bring in the new.

If you have several players clearing 10M a year, yeah it's a problem. That won't necessarily be the case, since the draft is a gamble. They might get a top 3 pick who turns out to be decent but not elite and so makes ~5M a year. You might get some gems further down who take 5 years but become stars. Who knows.

The media calling it a "problem" to have lots of picks is silly. They are assets that can be traded if Ottawa wants some help right away, so them having the power to do that will be a big help to digging them out of the basement.
#Ride?

ModAdmin

Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli
?
2h
#Habs legend Henri Richard has passed at age 84. The "Pocket Rocket" won the #StanleyCup an astounding 11 times, the most of any player in history - and matched Bill Russell for the most in NA major pro sports. He also holds the Montreal franchise record for games played (1,258).
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jockitch

Really a determined, always hustling, player on the ice  ........ R I P "Pocket"
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

blue_gold_84

NHL cancels all morning skates, announcement coming later today.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TrueBlue75

Now the on-ice officials have been told to book flights home. I?d say the next thing we will hear is the suspension of the season. Wonder if/when they start it up again if they play out the remaining games? Maybe let each team play to get to a certain game number or go by win percentage? And then the impact this could have on free agency if playoffs extend into summer. Interesting times for sure!

theaardvark

Quote from: TrueBlue75 on March 12, 2020, 02:47:12 PM
Now the on-ice officials have been told to book flights home. I?d say the next thing we will hear is the suspension of the season. Wonder if/when they start it up again if they play out the remaining games? Maybe let each team play to get to a certain game number or go by win percentage? And then the impact this could have on free agency if playoffs extend into summer. Interesting times for sure!

What happens to "game cheques" when there are no games?  And do players want to resume a season later with no more game cheques, but with unpaid playoffs?  Maybe a reduced playoff format, best of 3 first round, best of 5 second, best of 7 final...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on March 12, 2020, 03:05:51 PM
What happens to "game cheques" when there are no games?  And do players want to resume a season later with no more game cheques, but with unpaid playoffs?  Maybe a reduced playoff format, best of 3 first round, best of 5 second, best of 7 final...

Irrelevant right now. Why you are asking such questions on here, anyway?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: theaardvark on March 12, 2020, 03:05:51 PM

Players get payed.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

So, an NCAA type "May Madness"?  of the top 24 % winning teams?

I'd rather start with the top 25 teams,  top team in each division and the next 3 best records get a first round bye.  18 teams play off based on conference standings top vs. bottom, 2nd vs. 2nd bottom, in best of 3. Balance the conferences with crossover type rules. Gets us to the round of 16-best of 3, round of 8-best of 5, round of 4-best of 5, final-best of 7.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

That's pretty optimistic. May is barely a month a month and a half away.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on March 17, 2020, 05:55:26 PM
So, an NCAA type "May Madness"?  of the top 24 % winning teams?

I'd rather start with the top 25 teams,  top team in each division and the next 3 best records get a first round bye.  18 teams play off based on conference standings top vs. bottom, 2nd vs. 2nd bottom, in best of 3. Balance the conferences with crossover type rules. Gets us to the round of 16-best of 3, round of 8-best of 5, round of 4-best of 5, final-best of 7.

Play-off aren't happening.

The situation is getting worse, not better. The first NHL player has tested positive.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Sad, Colby Cave passes away at 25.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jockitch

Much to young & what a rare way to go .........,. terribly unfortunate
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

So, with revenues in the dumper, and not looking to improve, what happens to the cap?  How big is the escrow fund, and how does it work?  If revenues drop 30% for the year, do the teams claw back anything from the players contracts?  Obviously they will be reduced next year...