NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on July 12, 2019, 02:36:16 PM
Blatant cap avoidance, there is a signed contract for next year in the drawer for the real amount.  Although there aren't any big contracts coming off the books after next year, so I don't see how this helps much...

Lol he wasn't getting anything significant this year until he proves his January->May wasn't just a fluke or product of playing with Thornton. He'll have the chance to play on the top line this season and if he shows he has the skill, shows he can play responsible defensively, and shows he's able to restrain from taking boneheaded penalties at inopportune times, he'll get a contract next year for a higher AAV than he would have gotten total salary over two full years had he signed a multi-year deal this season. The max he's losing this season is 2M, and he's doing that to try to improve the team for this season to help his chance of getting paid next season. Literally nothing about the deal is cap avoidance.

theaardvark

Quote from: Colton on July 12, 2019, 02:54:21 PM
Lol he wasn't getting anything significant this year until he proves his January->May wasn't just a fluke or product of playing with Thornton. He'll have the chance to play on the top line this season and if he shows he has the skill, shows he can play responsible defensively, and shows he's able to restrain from taking boneheaded penalties at inopportune times, he'll get a contract next year for a higher AAV than he would have gotten total salary over two full years had he signed a multi-year deal this season. The max he's losing this season is 2M, and he's doing that to try to improve the team for this season to help his chance of getting paid next season. Literally nothing about the deal is cap avoidance.

Have you seen what other RFA's have signed for?  Guys with half the points, regardless who they played with?  There is something fishy going on here, and both GM's and agents shold be concerned...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on July 12, 2019, 04:12:05 PM
Have you seen what other RFA's have signed for?  Guys with half the points, regardless who they played with?  There is something fishy going on here, and both GM's and agents shold be concerned...

If Colton's assertion is correct, then perhaps Leblanc is simply one of the few players that can see the forest for the trees in his situation. Often we see players taking as much up front, guaranteed as possible. Leblanc probably really believes he's nowhere near his ceiling and is worth way more but is willing to risk it to prove himself. I admire that and would be happy to see him kill it out there while only pulling in 1M, and then score a ******* contract. Would be a cool story.
#Ride?

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on July 12, 2019, 04:12:05 PM

Have you seen Kevin Labanc play hockey? He was another horrible defensive play or untimely penalty away from being off the team in late December.

Have you seen how much cap space the Sharks had before they signed Labanc to a deal? He knows he can be a solid top 6 forward and there wasn't money available to make with the Sharks this season. There will be next year. He's sacrificing $1-2M this year for the betterment of his team in order to sign a deal closer to what Timo Meier just signed when that money is available.

Pigskin

Joel Armia gets 2.4 Mil per in arbitration. Copp will probably get the same.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Colton

Quote from: Pigskin on July 18, 2019, 07:20:44 PM
Joel Armia gets 2.4 Mil per in arbitration. Copp will probably get the same.

I'm not sure where you read that, but arbitration doesn't start until this weekend. Armia signed a deal with the Canadians for $2.6M last week.

Pigskin

Yes, Armia and Lehkonen signed new contracts on July 11, which was the day of there arbitration hearing, Armia 2.6, and Lehkonen 2.4.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on July 18, 2019, 09:08:34 PM
Yes, Armia and Lehkonen signed new contracts on July 11, which was the day of there arbitration hearing, Armia 2.6, and Lehkonen 2.4.

The two players signed their new deals and avoided arbitration.

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-canadiens-and-joel-armia-reach-two-year-deal-to-avoid-arbitration-1.1336024

This news is a week old. And I doubt it'll play much of a factor into what Copp gets, who appears to be sticking with the arbitration route.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Well let just wait and see? I think it will.

Fire101

Trouba got his money, reported that the Rangers gave him a seven-year $56 million dollar contract.

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-rangers-defenceman-jacob-trouba-agree-to-terms-on-contract-1.1339617

blue_gold_84

Great contract for Trouba.

And the Flames get Lucic from the Oilers...? For Neal...? What a weird trade. (https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-deal-forward-milan-lucic-to-calgary-flames-1.1339604)
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Neal with McD, could be the guy to get him scoring.

Jockitch

Also heard that Neal had & is training with McDavid daily ....... perhaps McD used some influence to get this done.

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Pigskin

Is going back to Finland a good move for Puljujarvi?

blue_gold_84

Per Twitter: The NHLPA announced today that the Executive Board has declined to reopen the CBA with the NHL following the 2019-20 season. The current CBA remains in effect through the 2021-22 season. The NHLPA advised the League of its decision earlier today.

https://twitter.com/NHLPA/status/1173669215888429056
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.