NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckzumhoff

Philadelphia won that trade with Nashville. But they got a big name player, that's what they are going for in Nashville.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: TrueBlue75 on February 25, 2019, 07:09:52 PM
I liked it better when Vegas was not in the NHL. They definitely have an advantage over other teams like Winnipeg in being able to attract players. Winnipeg, in my opinion, can?t afford to trade away top prospects since our main way of building a contending team is to draft and develop. Vegas can easily attract free agents rather than depending mostly on drafting.

And now Nashville signs Simmonds... sigh. Jets need to up their game big time!

The same can be said for several other teams, especially on the other side of the 49th parallel.

I think one needs to remember building through free agency is not sustainable, either. In today's NHL, draft and develop is a necessity for long-term, sustained success. If anything, the Knights' biggest advantage over any other team right now is its new franchise smell. That'll wear off sooner than later, though.
Their projected cap space for next season is under $7M. Karlsson needs a new contract and Stone's extension, which will reportedly kick in on Friday, means McPhee will have some major shuffling to do. (https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/goldenknights)
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

It is too bad that players can't be paid out of a central fund based in one of the non state tax states.  FLA, TB and LV have distinct advantages in that they have no state tax (not sure which other states do as well), so they can sign players for less and have the player actually make more... completely unfair advantage.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on February 27, 2019, 03:33:22 PM
It is too bad that players can't be paid out of a central fund based in one of the non state tax states.  FLA, TB and LV have distinct advantages in that they have no state tax (not sure which other states do as well), so they can sign players for less and have the player actually make more... completely unfair advantage.

Any team is able to do this via signing bonuses if they want to.

theaardvark

Quote from: Colton on February 27, 2019, 05:04:28 PM
Any team is able to do this via signing bonuses if they want to.

Signing bonuses are still state taxed, pretty sure the 15% reduced rate is for federal... I don't think states have a reduced tax for bonuses, but I could be wrong...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on February 27, 2019, 08:35:12 PM
Signing bonuses are still state taxed, pretty sure the 15% reduced rate is for federal... I don't think states have a reduced tax for bonuses, but I could be wrong...

There are different rules for different places and circumstances. It's not as simple as saying "signing bonuses" are the way to circumvent income tax, like Colton said. Americans working in Canada get taxed at a far lower rate on lump sum signing bonuses (look up the Austin Matthews deal), but the same deal wouldn't have sheltered money for a Canadian NHL player. Also, not every team can or will have the resources to structure contracts that way. Toronto can, Winnipeg or Phoenix likely cannot. So while any team can technically structure contracts to include large signing bonuses, not every team has the ability to do so, and in doing so, not every contract would put the player on par with 0% state income tax (in fact many would not).

Colton

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 27, 2019, 09:26:20 PM
but the same deal wouldn't have sheltered money for a Canadian NHL player.

Look up the John Tavares deal

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Colton on February 28, 2019, 05:00:29 PM
Look up the John Tavares deal

Like I said, it is specific to the individual circumstance. "Signing bonuses" is not a correct blanket statement.  For this to work, Tavaras has to live the US in the off-season and the % of money he saves is dependent on whether he makes his off-season home in New York or Florida, for example. He could also remain in Canada and still pay less tax than if he were to live in New York, but not Florida, if he were to contribute a certain amount to a Retirement Compensation Agreement. There are many other options besides.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/seanpackard/2018/07/06/john-tavares-could-save-nearly-12-million-in-taxes-on-his-new-contract

blue_gold_84

Boucher out as HC of the Senators, Crawford takes over in the interim.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Makes a lot of sense, Boucher wasn't being brought back, and Crawford is lauded for his work with young players, which is what the Sens will 100% be next year... they may have issues hitting the cap floor....

Fire101

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 28, 2019, 05:57:27 PM
Like I said, it is specific to the individual circumstance. "Signing bonuses" is not a correct blanket statement.  For this to work, Tavaras has to live the US in the off-season and the % of money he saves is dependent on whether he makes his off-season home in New York or Florida, for example. He could also remain in Canada and still pay less tax than if he were to live in New York, but not Florida, if he were to contribute a certain amount to a Retirement Compensation Agreement. There are many other options besides.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/seanpackard/2018/07/06/john-tavares-could-save-nearly-12-million-in-taxes-on-his-new-contract

Excellent read.

Game clocks in boards at all NHL rinks.

https://www.tsn.ca/gms-reject-one-minute-ot-penalty-proposal-1.1268070

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 08, 2019, 09:21:04 PM
Mark Stone gets paid: https://www.tsn.ca/golden-knights-sign-stone-to-8-year-deal-1.1270108

$76M total contract ($9.5AAV). That's a lotta scratch!

Which is why he was never coming here...  plus, Nevada has no state tax....

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on March 08, 2019, 09:22:00 PM
Which is why he was never coming here...  plus, Nevada has no state tax....

For sure. But there were a number reasons why he wasn't ever coming here.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Stone vs. Wheeler, which would you rather have?