NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

I'm saying, bridge him for 2 at $5 or 6 mil, and then sign him for 5 or more...

Alternately, sign him for 8 at 12 mil... and get 3 extra UFA years locked in.

The current contract is 100% for the player, and while the loyalty factor is up-played with this deal, if AZ comes along with a matching deal in 5 years, you know where he will sign, right?  Just like Taveres, he will show loyalty to his home, for sure, and AZ will be a different team then, and the Leafs might be in cap trouble by then, with all the other guys they need to lock up and already have signed, and have to let the one player go (Matthews) go to keep the rest of the team intact...

Just saying Dubas signed a deal with the absolute minimum benefit for his team, with the hopes it will retain him down the line.  If he would have offered a deal exactly like the one Taveres got, except with the added year...that would have made sense to me. 

And with it 93% being bonuses... no IR cap relief if he gets injured...

Matthews agent took Dubas out behind the woodshed and whupped him good...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on February 11, 2019, 07:23:28 PM
I'm saying, bridge him for 2 at $5 or 6 mil, and then sign him for 5 or more...

Alternately, sign him for 8 at 12 mil... and get 3 extra UFA years locked in.

The current contract is 100% for the player, and while the loyalty factor is up-played with this deal, if AZ comes along with a matching deal in 5 years, you know where he will sign, right?  Just like Taveres, he will show loyalty to his home, for sure, and AZ will be a different team then, and the Leafs might be in cap trouble by then, with all the other guys they need to lock up and already have signed, and have to let the one player go (Matthews) go to keep the rest of the team intact...

Just saying Dubas signed a deal with the absolute minimum benefit for his team, with the hopes it will retain him down the line.  If he would have offered a deal exactly like the one Taveres got, except with the added year...that would have made sense to me. 

And with it 93% being bonuses... no IR cap relief if he gets injured...

Matthews agent took Dubas out behind the woodshed and whupped him good...

What if his representation said, "Mr. Aardvark GM - we will not sign a bridge deal. Zero interest." Then what would you do? There is no rule that says players have to sign a bridge deal. There is also no rule that they sign for 8 years.

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 11, 2019, 07:39:14 PM
What if his representation said, "Mr. Aardvark GM - we will not sign a bridge deal. Zero interest." Then what would you do? There is no rule that says players have to sign a bridge deal. There is also no rule that they sign for 8 years.

You don't want a bridge deal?  Ok, then here's the league min offer that you HAVE to sign as an RFA.  We OWN you for 7 years, bub.  The last year, we'll let an arbiter decide, but until then, here's your qualifying offer.  Want to sit out?  Go ahead, we still own you until your RFA status mandated age/years of play are reached...

Why have RFA status if you don't use it at all? 

As for signing 8 year deals, no, they don't have to.  But it is your job as a GM to get them to, by offering a contract that it makes sense to sign.

Dubas gave him everything, term, $, structure and got nothing back....
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on February 11, 2019, 07:48:38 PM
You don't want a bridge deal?  Ok, then here's the league min offer that you HAVE to sign as an RFA.  We OWN you for 7 years, bub.  The last year, we'll let an arbiter decide, but until then, here's your qualifying offer.  Want to sit out?  Go ahead, we still own you until your RFA status mandated age/years of play are reached...

Why have RFA status if you don't use it at all? 

As for signing 8 year deals, no, they don't have to.  But it is your job as a GM to get them to, by offering a contract that it makes sense to sign.

Dubas gave him everything, term, $, structure and got nothing back....

He's allowed to sign a contract with another team as an RFA. You don't understand how any of this works. The situation you're describing helps Toronto in absolutely no way. The contract they signed Matthews to maximizes the window they can keep the roster they want together, and you're going to be seeing a lot more of it so you better get used to it.

theaardvark

Quote from: Colton on February 11, 2019, 07:56:57 PM
He's allowed to sign a contract with another team as an RFA. You don't understand how any of this works. The situation you're describing helps Toronto in absolutely no way. The contract they signed Matthews to maximizes the window they can keep the roster they want together, and you're going to be seeing a lot more of it so you better get used to it.

They have 5 years.  Maybe.  Because for those years, they have $24mil tied up in Tavares / Matthews. 

Yes, they can sign an offer sheet.  And that is why bridge deals exist, because teams don't want to poach players with offer sheets, and teams don't want to give other teams that opportunity. 

When was the last offer sheet offered?  And guess what?  If someone signed Matthews to an $8 mil plus offer sheet, it would cost the 4 first rounders.  No player would want to go to a team that just gave up its future for him, right?

Bridge deals get signed because the CBA makes it work.  And if you don't bridge, you give up UFA term for RFA dollars...

Dubas did none of these things.  And gave him all signing bonuses, making it IR AND lockout proof...

Colton

blue_gold_84

Senators trade Duchene to the Blue Jackets, per Darren Dreger.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jockitch

that's a super grab for the Blue Jackets & the Sens did not get returns of big substance IMO.  Duchene will be their #1 center with Panarin ------ SCARY
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

TSN James Duthie @tsnjamesduhtie
Replying to @TSNHockey @tsnjamesduthie and

DONE DEAL! #Canucks acquire F Mark Stone, F Alex Formenton, G Graig Anderson and a 2020 4th round pick from #Sens in exchange for G Tkacher Demko, D Olli Juolevi and a 2019 1st & 2nd round picks. Canucks going all in. I'm told they are not done yet. #NHL
7:48 AM - 23 Feb 2019

Looks legit... ;)

theaardvark

Zuccarello plays one game, gets a goal, an assist and a 4-6 week injury...

ModAdmin

Quote from: theaardvark on February 24, 2019, 03:40:53 PM

DONE DEAL! #Canucks acquire F Mark Stone, F Alex Formenton, G Graig Anderson and a 2020 4th round pick from #Sens in exchange for G Tkacher Demko, D Olli Juolevi and a 2019 1st & 2nd round picks. Canucks going all in. I'm told they are not done yet. #NHL

Mark Stone is still a Senator by all reports and the Canucks are said not to be giving up any draft picks in a trade with other teams. 

Looks legit... ;)
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

Quote from: theaardvark on February 24, 2019, 03:40:53 PM

Looks legit... ;)

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 25, 2019, 04:53:26 AM
Mark Stone is still a Senator by all reports and the Canucks are said not to be giving up any draft picks in a trade with other teams. 

I know... it was a joke.... ;)

blue_gold_84

Granlund and Fiala swap jerseys.
Stone to Vegas.

Some nice movement today.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TrueBlue75

I liked it better when Vegas was not in the NHL. They definitely have an advantage over other teams like Winnipeg in being able to attract players. Winnipeg, in my opinion, can?t afford to trade away top prospects since our main way of building a contending team is to draft and develop. Vegas can easily attract free agents rather than depending mostly on drafting.

And now Nashville signs Simmonds... sigh. Jets need to up their game big time!

theaardvark

I'd like the blender to shoot out -

Connor/Scheifele/Wheeler

Laine/Hayes/Ehlers

Tanev/Lowry/Copp

Roslovic/Little/Perreault