NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockitch

Edmonton should have canned their GM, Chiarelli, before this season started.
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jockitch on November 21, 2018, 12:42:52 AM
Edmonton should have canned their GM, Chiarelli, before this season started.
Everytime I see Chia think think one word. Bum!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Old Rusty

Yes, Chiarelli is a poor GM.  And he doesn't appear to be any smarter after canning his coach.
As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.

theaardvark

Pierre LeBrun@PierreVLeBrun

Darling is in second season of a four-year, $16.6-million contract. If he clears waivers tomorrow, will report to AHL.

Dodged a bullet there...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on November 29, 2018, 05:40:08 PM
Pierre LeBrun@PierreVLeBrun

Darling is in second season of a four-year, $16.6-million contract. If he clears waivers tomorrow, will report to AHL.

Dodged a bullet there...

What bullet is that?

The Zipp

Quote from: bluengold204 on December 04, 2018, 06:24:55 PM
Seattle officially getting a team in 2021.

https://www.tsn.ca/seattle-officially-approved-as-the-nhl-s-32nd-franchise-1.1220648

i think it will do fine there...lots of $$$ floating around, big city, no BB franchise to compete at the moment

Gotta feel for Quebec City though - maybe one of the failing franchises will eventually move there.  Bring back the Nordiques!!

blue_or_die

Quote from: The Zipp on December 04, 2018, 06:29:00 PM
i think it will do fine there...lots of $$$ floating around, big city, no BB franchise to compete at the moment

Gotta feel for Quebec City though - maybe one of the failing franchises will eventually move there.  Bring back the Nordiques!!

Florida or Carolina in 5 years.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on December 04, 2018, 07:41:36 PM
Florida or Carolina in 5 years.

Agreed. It'll be one of those two. That's the only way QC gets a franchise: relocation.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 04, 2018, 05:10:19 PM
What bullet is that?

He was an early contender in the goalie sweepstakes that landed us on Mason.  So, we dodged a bullet, but ended up eating the gun... ;)

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Hutch traded to Toronto for a fifth rounder...

blue_gold_84

Wild trade RW Nino Niederreiter to the Hurricanes in exchange for C Victor Rask. Odd trade.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

How does Dubas sign Matthews for over $11 mil a year, and only get him on a 5 year deal?  They get what, 1 year of UFA in exchange for giving him full UFA salary for 4 years while he would be an RFA?

Quite shocked, really.  Dubas is supposed to be a wunderkind, but how do you not lock up Matthews to an 8 year deal? 

Plus, the deal is lockoutproof!  For the player! 

I really hope that this doesn't give Laine's agent any leverage to get a similar deal.  Whatever happened to a "bridge" deal. 

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on February 06, 2019, 09:03:29 PM
How does Dubas sign Matthews for over $11 mil a year, and only get him on a 5 year deal?  They get what, 1 year of UFA in exchange for giving him full UFA salary for 4 years while he would be an RFA?

Quite shocked, really.  Dubas is supposed to be a wunderkind, but how do you not lock up Matthews to an 8 year deal? 

Plus, the deal is lockoutproof!  For the player! 

I really hope that this doesn't give Laine's agent any leverage to get a similar deal.  Whatever happened to a "bridge" deal. 

He won't get a similar deal but it probably does get Laine some extra leverage, even if they aren't very comparable players.

It is odd they didn't go max term but Matthews probably refused or priced the contract so high it was untenable. Mathews is a first line centre and the face of the Toronto Maple Leafs. He can pretty much do what he wants -- certainly has a tremendous amount of bargaining power. The Leafs could have strung him along and tried to do the hardball RFA thing but that would have left them open for a souring of the relationship. You can do that with Jacob Trouba. You can't do that with the biggest reason for your franchise's change of fortunes.

I don't know what the appetite for a traditional bridge deal would have been, but for a guy like Mathews that it would have only increased the price after its conclusion. Now the Leafs have cost certainty when negotitating the rest of their young core. The landscape of the NHL is always changing. This might be one of those watershed moments.