NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on October 11, 2018, 12:04:58 AM
Lol, not a championship banner but hey, I?d take a Prez trophy banner. Guess I have the classic Winnipeg sports fan mentality lol. ?Good enough!?

A Presidents Trophy banner is worth raising, IMO. But without the fanfare.

Unless it's a Stanley Cup banner, don't drag it out. Just my two pennies, anyway.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 11, 2018, 03:42:53 AM
A Presidents Trophy banner is worth raising, IMO. But without the fanfare.

Unless it's a Stanley Cup banner, don't drag it out. Just my two pennies, anyway.

I misunderstood. I now see that the OP meant ?banner raising? as in a ceremonious fashion whereas my comment was said under the impression that it was literally raising a banner to the rafters.

So yes, a ceremonious raising of a Presidents Trophy banner is over the top, but actually hanging it in the rafters is not. LOL.
#Ride?

theaardvark

Interesting read...

TORONTO, ON ? Despite winning 7 out of 10 games so far this hockey season, Toronto Maple Leafs Head Coach Mike Babcock reassured fans that the team?s impressive performance will not impact their ability to lose the playoffs.

?Obviously no one was as surprised as me when we hit that five game winning streak,? said Babcock at a press conference. ?And this was while the other teams were trying to win, which is usually our kryptonite. But you have my word that we will lose spectacularly the moment these games start to matter.?

Babcock went on to clarify his unique responsibilities as the coach of the most disappointing team in hockey. ?The Leafs have a proud tradition of letting down their loyal fans, and I take that legacy seriously. For many years we were second only to the Chicago Cubs in terms of teams that draw tantalizingly close to any sort of meaningful achievement, then **** it up. And now that they?ve won the World Series, it?s down to us.?

?I won?t let 50 years of tradition go up in smoke over something so arbitrary as a dedicated, talented team,? he added.

Local Leafs fan Jim Becker was relieved to hear that the Leafs are committed to a lacklustre season, pointing out that he uses the team?s early and brutal elimination from playoffs as an excuse to have a good cry. ?As an emotionally-repressed man, I count on the boys choking to trigger a masculine cathartic release,? said Jones. ?I?ve come to welcome, and even rely on that man cave sobbing sesh.?

Maple Leafs commentator Jay Williams was also pleased, pointing out that he routinely books vacations that begin the day after regular season play ends. ?I?ll lose my down payment if they advance. And I?m a Leafs commentator, so you know my wallet feels it.?

Babcock closed the conference by complimenting sister teams the Toronto Blue Jays and Raptors for their underwhelming performances this season, adding, ?If just one Toronto team looks good, we all look good. And I can?t have that.?

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/10/toronto-maple-leafs-promise-strong-start-to-hockey-season-will-not-affect-ability-to-lose-playoffs/
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Blackhawks fire HC Joel Quenneville.

Wow!
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jockitch

Hawks GM, Bowman, was the goof ball that tied the anchor to his teams progress with some large $$ contracts & then hoped JQ could continue to spin the magic.
For me, this is the same scenario in Edmonton with bad signings 
The Ducks extended big time to a few which hobbles the team when Perry & Getzlaf don't perform or can't stay healthy.

Chevy has some similar moves & a few more decisions to make to keep our talent in Jet unis.
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Reports out of Sportsnet and local Regina media is that the NHL is looking at possibly holding an outdoor game at Mosaic.  Just wondering, if the Jets were involved, would Winnipeggers go?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: upp on November 20, 2018, 02:59:14 AM
Reports out of Sportsnet and local Regina media is that the NHL is looking at possibly holding an outdoor game at Mosaic.  Just wondering, if the Jets were involved, would Winnipeggers go?

It wouldn't be the Jets. Unless TNSE expects to get a serious cut of the profits.

IIRC, this was discussed on SN back in January and then the rumour fizzled out shortly thereafter. What's changed since then?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

Mike Yeo fired in St. Louis after losing to the Kings tonight.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Stretch

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 20, 2018, 04:13:27 AM
Mike Yeo fired in St. Louis after losing to the Kings tonight.

And today Todd McLellan got the boot in Edmonton, replaced by Ken Hitchcock. Bad month for NHL coaches.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Stretch on November 20, 2018, 04:23:15 PM
And today Todd McLellan got the boot in Edmonton, replaced by Ken Hitchcock. Bad month for NHL coaches.

No surprise with McLellan but he only had so much with which to work. Chiarelli's only deflecting blame from his mismanagement of that roster. He's on thin ice, too.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Stretch

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 20, 2018, 04:46:37 PM
No surprise with McLellan but he only had so much Connor McDavid with which to work.

Fixed.  ;)
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

Quote from: Stretch on November 20, 2018, 05:23:49 PM
Fixed.  ;)

I agree that Chia made the job much harder on him than it should have been, but he also wasn't pointing a gun to McLellan's head forcing him to play Lucic with McDavid on the PP or in late game must score situations either. As a fan of a Pacific division rival, I'm sad to see McLellan go.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Colton on November 20, 2018, 06:39:31 PM
I agree that Chia made the job much harder on him than it should have been, but he also wasn't pointing a gun to McLellan's head forcing him to play Lucic with McDavid on the PP or in late game must score situations either. As a fan of a Pacific division rival, I'm sad to see McLellan go.

And as someone with much disdain for the Oilers, I concur.

He was the perfect candidate to steer the Edmonton ship.
#Ride?

GOLDMEMBER

Hitchcock is not the answer Chia will be fired soon.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!