NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 06, 2018, 12:56:49 PM
I'm on the fence with Perreault but why Mason? And who would back up Hellebuyck?
Get some scrub and pay him $1 million a year to play 15 games.  We don't need to be paying our backup goalie $4.2 million per year.  There's lots of backups available who will gladly play for $1 million or less per season. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on April 06, 2018, 01:42:27 AM
Perrault will stay. Hes not a guy that wants payed more then hes worth.

It's more a matter of his current cap hit for another three years. That money could be spent elsewhere on another forward.

I bet guys like Wheeler and Stash sign deals to keep Cups close.

Stastny? Yeah, I don't see him re-signing with the Jets.

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 06, 2018, 01:26:03 PM
Get some scrub and pay him $1 million a year to play 15 games.  We don't need to be paying our backup goalie $4.2 million per year.  There's lots of backups available who will gladly play for $1 million or less per season. 

While I agree on the bolded part, the entire premise hinges on the Jets being able to trade Mason. Is that realistic?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 06, 2018, 01:49:22 PM
It's more a matter of his current cap hit for another three years. That money could be spent elsewhere on another forward.

Stastny? Yeah, I don't see him re-signing with the Jets.

While I agree on the bolded part, the entire premise hinges on the Jets being able to trade Mason. Is that realistic?
Depends on the goaltender market this offseason and whether the Jets are willing to retain some of his salary. 

theaardvark

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 06, 2018, 01:52:11 PM
Depends on the goaltender market this offseason and whether the Jets are willing to retain some of his salary. 

If you are going to retain salary, why not retain the player?  If you trade him and retain salary, you end up with a $1mil goalie that you are paying $1mil plus whatever you retain, and you are getting a $1mil goalie.  Keep him and you have Mason...

The only caveat would be is if that $1mil goalie was Comrie...  but he seems to need another year in the A...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

gbill2004

Quote from: theaardvark on April 06, 2018, 02:32:01 PM
If you are going to retain salary, why not retain the player?  If you trade him and retain salary, you end up with a $1mil goalie that you are paying $1mil plus whatever you retain, and you are getting a $1mil goalie.  Keep him and you have Mason...

The only caveat would be is if that $1mil goalie was Comrie...  but he seems to need another year in the A...
Ya it depends on how much we'd need to retain.  If we are only retaining $1 million of Mason's salary in a trade, and we find a backup and pay him $1 million, we are then saving $2 million overall. 

theaardvark

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 06, 2018, 02:39:11 PM
Ya it depends on how much we'd need to retain.  If we are only retaining $1 million of Mason's salary in a trade, and we find a backup and pay him $1 million, we are then saving $2 million overall. 

Which brings us back to the point of how much is Mason worth?  Does anyone else think he's a starting goalie right now?  Is there a team that will take a chance on him to start?  That team would take his contract, sure, without any money retained by the Jets.  But if they are trading for a vet backup, then they won;t be wanting to take him with us only retaining $1mil.  They'd want to pay him backup salary, which means we will have to eat at least $2mil. 

If it means going our and signing someone, lie a Hutch, for $1 mil, that means we are paying Hutch $3mil effectively, and would you rather have Hutch at an effective salary of $3mil or Mason at $4.2 mil...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

gbill2004

Quote from: theaardvark on April 06, 2018, 03:37:51 PM
Which brings us back to the point of how much is Mason worth?  Does anyone else think he's a starting goalie right now?  Is there a team that will take a chance on him to start?  That team would take his contract, sure, without any money retained by the Jets.  But if they are trading for a vet backup, then they won;t be wanting to take him with us only retaining $1mil.  They'd want to pay him backup salary, which means we will have to eat at least $2mil. 

If it means going our and signing someone, lie a Hutch, for $1 mil, that means we are paying Hutch $3mil effectively, and would you rather have Hutch at an effective salary of $3mil or Mason at $4.2 mil...
All depends on the market this summer and whether there is a team willing to look at Mason as a potential starter.  It wouldn't be shocking to see a team willing to give him $3 million for one year. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 06, 2018, 03:44:28 PM
All depends on the market this summer and whether there is a team willing to look at Mason as a potential starter.  It wouldn't be shocking to see a team willing to give him $3 million for one year. 

Many factors to consider. If salary is retained to move Mason, I can't see it being as low as 25%.

Here's a look at the FA market: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/Sv/all/goalies

I can't see any of those UFAs signing for $1M this off-season, especially with the cap rumoured to rise to $80M.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 06, 2018, 04:23:42 PM
Many factors to consider. If salary is retained to move Mason, I can't see it being as low as 25%.

Here's a look at the FA market: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/Sv/all/goalies

I can't see any of those UFAs signing for $1M this off-season, especially with the cap rumoured to rise to $80M.
I guess we have differences of opinion.  I think several of those guys would be lucky to get ~$1 million. 

theaardvark

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 06, 2018, 04:32:36 PM
I guess we have differences of opinion.  I think several of those guys would be lucky to get ~$1 million. 

There are at least 10 that could be signed for <$1mil...  whether they are worth it, remains to be seen.

I have no issues with keeping Mason if we're going to have to eat salary.  Unless it is a sweet deal otherwise, or we can unload a contract (Perreault, Little) along with him...

You have to love Perreault and Little and what they've given to this team.  But with the influx of young talent, and the need to sign them, the Business of Hockey may demand that they be traded / bought out.

gbill2004

Quote from: theaardvark on April 06, 2018, 04:41:09 PM
There are at least 10 that could be signed for <$1mil...  whether they are worth it, remains to be seen.

I have no issues with keeping Mason if we're going to have to eat salary.  Unless it is a sweet deal otherwise, or we can unload a contract (Perreault, Little) along with him...

You have to love Perreault and Little and what they've given to this team.  But with the influx of young talent, and the need to sign them, the Business of Hockey may demand that they be traded / bought out.
Next year I think we are okay.  It's the 2019-20 season where salaries will start to become a problem and where I think we will see guys like Buff, Perreault get traded, if we want to keep the young guys. 

theaardvark

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 06, 2018, 05:04:13 PM
Next year I think we are okay.  It's the 2019-20 season where salaries will start to become a problem and where I think we will see guys like Buff, Perreault get traded, if we want to keep the young guys. 

We will be in the territory of locking up guys long term like we did Ehlers this year, and signing them early is going to mean we need cap room...

Liane would be a huge early signing... and Connor, and Morissey...

gbill2004

Quote from: theaardvark on April 06, 2018, 05:37:13 PM
We will be in the territory of locking up guys long term like we did Ehlers this year, and signing them early is going to mean we need cap room...

Liane would be a huge early signing... and Connor, and Morissey...
I would sign Laine and Helle long term.  Connor and Morrissey might be bridge deals.  Trouba will also need a long term deal since he's already been bridged. 

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 06, 2018, 05:55:50 PM
I would sign Laine and Helle long term.  Connor and Morrissey might be bridge deals.  Trouba will also need a long term deal since he's already been bridged. 

you have very lil idea how this works

In your world tell me how all these other teams can pay core guys and why we cant?

Do you think True North is stupid? Dont you think they have gone over this a million times? Good grief man.  Think they went over this as they built it?

Do you really think they got to a point that they have no idea how to keep guys?

This is not something slapped together. This is a team thats been built. Its been done over years. Contracts done to offset others.....

We have 55 mil cost....  We can go to 80.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag