NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 07, 2018, 05:15:40 PM
Outdoor games in US markets generate revenue.

The 2014 Winter Classic reportedly netted $20M: https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/01/13/Events-and-Attractions/Winter-Classic.aspx
The 2017 Winter Classic was projected to generate around $18M: http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2016/12/28/winter-classic-could-generate-more-than-18m-for-st-louis/

I doubt the Canadian ones are an exception and the four Heritage Classic games have generated revenue, albeit on a lesser scale. I'm unable to find any figures online, though.

The 2011 Heritage Classic in Calgary set a sponsorship record at the time: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/heritage-classic-sponsorship-trumps-winter-classic-surprises-nhl

I'm sure local companies got on board as sponsors in Vancouver and Winnipeg for the Heritage Classic games in 2014 and 2016, respectively. Marquee events such as these are a good stage in that regard.

These outdoor games are meant to create revenue, so it seems reasonable to think through direct and indirect spending, revenue is generated for both the league and the host city. I don't see what's dubious about that.

You are misunderstanding the article (or me). Here's a quote from the first link:
QuoteAccording to an NHL source, the Jan. 1 game at Michigan Stadium posted more than $30 million in revenue against costs of $10 million.

This is saying the game was profitable for the league. The league made 20 million dollars. This does not mean that the city of Ann Arbor received that much in economic benefit. In fact, the opposite is more likely. The league pulled 30 million dollars from that market. That's a lot of money that won't be reinvested in the economy had all those people bought local products or services.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on March 07, 2018, 06:55:22 PM
You are misunderstanding the article (or me). Here's a quote from the first link:
This is saying the game was profitable for the league. The league made 20 million dollars. This does not mean that the city of Ann Arbor received that much in economic benefit. In fact, the opposite is more likely. The league pulled 30 million dollars from that market. That's a lot of money that won't be reinvested in the economy had all those people bought local products or services.

And you're calling my claims dubious...?

From the article regarding the 2014 Winter Classic: "...$3 million was paid to the University of Michigan to rent Michigan Stadium for four weeks."

And here's another link for that game: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2013/12/30/winter-classic-michigan-stadium-comerica-park-economic-impact/4258241/

"No one can be sure what the economic impact will be for the area, but the Detroit Metro Convention and Visitors Bureau estimates the Comerica events will generate roughly $50 million to $60 million for the Detroit area, plus another $15 million going to Ann Arbor."

The link to the 2017 Winter Classic has some interesting information: "There are at least 18.5 million reasons why St. Louis scored big when it landed this major NHL event, according to economist Ruth Sergenian with St. Louis Regional Chamber.

That's the amount of impact - in dollars - that she expects the game itself and all of the events surrounding it will have here.

She says visitor spending and operations at Busch Stadium is expected to equal $9.6 million, while an additional $8.9 million will ripple through the local economy in the form of indirect spending."

Here's another article with figures showing what these outdoor games are worth: https://www.citylab.com/design/2012/01/what-hockey-game-worth/846/

If these outdoor games were an economic drain on their host cities and the NHL just took its money and ran off, why would any of them be remotely interested in hosting one game, much less multiple ones?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 08, 2018, 01:53:00 AM
And you're calling my claims dubious...?

From the article regarding the 2014 Winter Classic: "...$3 million was paid to the University of Michigan to rent Michigan Stadium for four weeks."

And here's another link for that game: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2013/12/30/winter-classic-michigan-stadium-comerica-park-economic-impact/4258241/

"No one can be sure what the economic impact will be for the area, but the Detroit Metro Convention and Visitors Bureau estimates the Comerica events will generate roughly $50 million to $60 million for the Detroit area, plus another $15 million going to Ann Arbor."

The link to the 2017 Winter Classic has some interesting information: "There are at least 18.5 million reasons why St. Louis scored big when it landed this major NHL event, according to economist Ruth Sergenian with St. Louis Regional Chamber.

That's the amount of impact - in dollars - that she expects the game itself and all of the events surrounding it will have here.

She says visitor spending and operations at Busch Stadium is expected to equal $9.6 million, while an additional $8.9 million will ripple through the local economy in the form of indirect spending."

Here's another article with figures showing what these outdoor games are worth: https://www.citylab.com/design/2012/01/what-hockey-game-worth/846/

If these outdoor games were an economic drain on their host cities and the NHL just took its money and ran off, why would any of them be remotely interested in hosting one game, much less multiple ones?

Because cities don't 'bid' for them nor do they have much of a say in whether they get played. Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with the fact that these games get played. I went, I had a good time. I just don't believe your earlier claim that they are much of an 'economic benefit' to the host city. I'm not trying to be rude, but your first bit of proof was just an article about the revenue vs expenses of putting the game on. That sort of leads me to believe you are sort of confused about what I'm suggesting. In this most recent article, it's again mostly talking about revenues (I'm not disputing it's not a revenue generator for the league, and possibly teams depending on the deal between league and team).

You will note in this more recent article (quoted below) that they are suggesting that local fans who attend these events spend less on game-related expenses which is the only place you can argue there's an economic benefit from. They also don't stay in hotels and are more likely to eat at home. Souvenir sales are nice for the league and possibly team, if they get a cut, but are not an economic benefit for the host city. Not to mention, money is finite. If local people spend their entertainment and discretionary dollars on this game, they are spending less on going out for dinner, movies, plays, etc, in the future.

The theory of economic benefit for sporting events (or any large event) should be evaluated by new money being spent in our economy. If the game attracts hockey fans from all over the country, the hotels are booked, and everyone goes out to eat and have a good time, there's real benefit tangible benefit. If the NHL puts on an outdoor game and Winnipegger's all spend $400 dollars to go, there really isn't an economic benefit there. It's a fun thing for our city, but don't pretend (or believe) it's generating wealth for the city of Winnipeg. It absolutely is not.

QuoteLast year?s game, held at Heinz Park in Pittsburgh, wasn?t quite that lucrative. Revenues there were about $22 million, even 68,111 fans attended, says Craig Davis, vice president of sales and marketing for Visit Pittsburgh, the city?s tourism agency. The lower tally was due to the fact that about half the spectators were from the Pittsburgh area and spent only $34 a day on game-related expenses, or about $6.1 million. Out of town fans, however, spent $93 a day, or about $16 million, on everything from parking to hotel rooms and restaurant meals, he says. Souvenir sales were especially brisk.

The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1495655

The worst contract of every team in the NHL.
It's apparently Kulikov for the Jets. I don't mind his deal one bit but the Jets don't really have a lot of bad ones to choose from.
Ladd has it for the NYI.

gbill2004

Quote from: The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB on March 09, 2018, 05:50:20 PM
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1495655

The worst contract of every team in the NHL.
It's apparently Kulikov for the Jets. I don't mind his deal one bit but the Jets don't really have a lot of bad ones to choose from.
Ladd has it for the NYI.
I'm perfectly fine with Kulikov's contract if that's consider the worst one on the Jets.  AAV might be a little high, but at only 3 years and a position of need, its a good contract in my opinion.  Kulikov has been solid this year. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on March 09, 2018, 05:57:00 PM
I'm perfectly fine with Kulikov's contract if that's consider the worst one on the Jets.  AAV might be a little high, but at only 3 years and a position of need, its a good contract in my opinion.  Kulikov has been solid this year. 

Yeah, if that's the worst contract the Jets currently own, fantastic. Kulikov has been a very pleasant surprise this season and easily one of the best FA moves Cheveldayoff has made.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TrueBlue75

Sad news out of Ottawa. Erik Karlsson and his wife lost their baby boy due to be born next month. I can?t imagine how heartbroken they must be. He was so excited in their gender reveal video.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: TrueBlue75 on March 20, 2018, 11:10:30 PM
Sad news out of Ottawa. Erik Karlsson and his wife lost their baby boy due to be born next month. I can?t imagine how heartbroken they must be. He was so excited in their gender reveal video.

Sad.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

The Zipp

Cam Ward...wow

Don?t see that every day...in fact I have never before...

gbill2004

Quote from: The Zipp on March 23, 2018, 12:42:38 AM
Cam Ward...wow

Don?t see that every day...in fact I have never before...
Care to explain what you?re talking about  ???

The Zipp

Quote from: gbill2004 on March 23, 2018, 12:57:24 AM
Care to explain what you?re talking about  ???

Just give it a search on twitter.  Or the internet...If I explain it the wonder will be diminished. It?s all over the place.

I don?t know if he is to blame or not...just watch

theaardvark

Puck caught in the skate while he was behind the net, he went back to his goal, and his skate went in over the line, goal.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

With their OT loss to the Sharks last night, the Golden Knights are the first team in NHL history to reach 100 points in the inaugural season.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 23, 2018, 12:36:18 PM
With their OT loss to the Sharks last night, the Golden Knights are the first team in NHL history to reach 100 points in the inaugural season.

Wow, what a run.
My wife is amazing!

drahgon

Quote from: theaardvark on March 23, 2018, 02:48:25 AM
Puck caught in the skate while he was behind the net, he went back to his goal, and his skate went in over the line, goal.

Oh now that is awesome/hilarious!