Previous topic - Next topic

Jockitch

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jockitch on February 26, 2018, 06:58:06 PM
good rental for the Sharks
LOL

He will likely single handily divide Big Joe and little Joe and cause locker room slime!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Zipp

Quote from: The Zipp on February 25, 2018, 07:26:57 PM
St. Louis is on a mini slide ...out of the wildcard spot - preds destroyed them earlier today 4-0

That mini slide is a full scale slump for the blues ..they are getting destroyed 8-3 by Minnesota

No wonder stastny wanted out 

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: The Zipp on February 28, 2018, 02:30:34 AM
That mini slide is a full scale slump for the blues ..they are getting destroyed 8-3 by Minnesota

No wonder stastny wanted out 

Blues are actually yesterday?s news
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 05, 2018, 02:07:39 AM
http://3downnation.com/2018/03/04/nhl-considering-mosaic-stadium-for-outdoor-game/

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/regina-considered-nhl-possible-outdoor-game/

???

A little weird to host an NHL outdoor game in a place with no NHL team, but if they put the right teams in, it could be very cool. Really nice stadium in a hockey-loving place. If they did a Jets vs Flames game, I would be interested for sure, and it would sell well between locals and fans of both teams flanking The Rectangle. Instead of an alumni game on the Saturday, they could maybe do a Blades vs. Pats game to showcase the WHL, and maybe Hitmen vs. Wheaties, too!
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 06, 2018, 02:09:49 PM
A little weird to host an NHL outdoor game in a place with no NHL team, but if they put the right teams in, it could be very cool. Really nice stadium in a hockey-loving place. If they did a Jets vs Flames game, I would be interested for sure, and it would sell well between locals and fans of both teams flanking The Rectangle. Instead of an alumni game on the Saturday, they could maybe do a Blades vs. Pats game to showcase the WHL, and maybe Hitmen vs. Wheaties, too!

For sure. I just can't see how any team would be willing to give up a home game to host it in another city. Unless there was a massive royalty involved.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 06, 2018, 02:36:41 PM
For sure. I just can't see how any team would be willing to give up a home game to host it in another city. Unless there was a massive royalty involved.

Tons of reasons. Expand team influence and marketability to other regions. Merchandise opportunities. Extra revenue from ticket sales. Offloads some of the ticket sales burden on other markets (Average ticket price in Winnipeg is $118.46. Capacity is 15,294. Crude and probably not totally accurate math ((118.46*15,294) = $1,811,727.24 per game. That's a lot of dough for our market and if you can pull that out of places like Finland or Regina that's not unhelpful to a season ticket base who mostly shares seats and packages anyway.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 06, 2018, 02:09:49 PM

Have you seen the SSK presence in PHX?  Phoenix would LOVE to play a "home" game in SSK at the Toilet Seat.  They would make HUGE money on the gate, and build their branding as well.  Getting 33k+ tickets sales compared to well less than half that, and a single game merch sell that would probably rival their best month of sales in Glendale, no brainer.

Not sure if they'd realize they were cheering for Winnipeg's old team, but hey, they're flatbillies, they won't care. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on March 06, 2018, 03:43:24 PM
Tons of reasons. Expand team influence and marketability to other regions. Merchandise opportunities. Extra revenue from ticket sales. Offloads some of the ticket sales burden on other markets (Average ticket price in Winnipeg is $118.46. Capacity is 15,294. Crude and probably not totally accurate math ((118.46*15,294) = $1,811,727.24 per game. That's a lot of dough for our market and if you can pull that out of places like Finland or Regina that's not unhelpful to a season ticket base who mostly shares seats and packages anyway.

An outdoor game is a considerable boon for the host city. I can't see TNSE going to another city to have its NHL team host an outdoor game, especially after how successful the 2016 Heritage Classic was. TNSE is as homegrown and pro-Winnipeg as an organization comes, so going to another city to host an outdoor game just doesn't fit with the way TNSE operates, IMO.

Expanding team influence and marketability is hardly an issue for the Jets, either. And those two reasons don't outweigh the economic gains of hosting an outdoor game within its own city unless there were significant royalties involved to do so in another location. If anything, TNSE would probably host another outdoor game at IGF.

The only realistic option to me would be two sunbelt teams playing at Mosaic 2.0 with considerable money being spent by the City of Regina and the Province of Saskatchewan to incentivize the event for those two organizations. Perhaps a game between the Coyotes and the Golden Knights is viable.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 06, 2018, 05:53:57 PM
An outdoor game is a considerable boon for the host city. I can't see TNSE going to another city to have its NHL team host an outdoor game, especially after how successful the 2016 Heritage Classic was. TNSE is as homegrown and pro-Winnipeg as an organization comes, so going to another city to host an outdoor game just doesn't fit with the way TNSE operates, IMO.

Expanding team influence and marketability is hardly an issue for the Jets, either. And those two reasons don't outweigh the economic gains of hosting an outdoor game within its own city unless there were significant royalties involved to do so in another location. If anything, TNSE would probably host another outdoor game at IGF.

The only realistic option to me would be two sunbelt teams playing at Mosaic 2.0 with considerable money being spent by the City of Regina and the Province of Saskatchewan to incentivize the event for those two organizations. Perhaps a game between the Coyotes and the Golden Knights is viable.

The NHL isn't going to let you host an outdoor game over and over in your own city unless you're Chicago. Hosting a game in Regina may be a way to get some of that revenue again where you might not have that chance otherwise.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 06, 2018, 05:53:57 PM

They're going halfway around the world to play games in Finland and by all accounts, they were big proponents of it. There is a limit to the amount of revenue they can pull out of the Winnipeg market. What is the difference between regular season indoor games in Finland and a regular-season outdoor game in Regina? The business case is probably stronger for playing an outdoor game in Regina. Outdoor games are basically regional affairs for the most part so what possible 'significant boon' did Winnipeg get for hosting the Heritage Classic? The Olympics and Superbowl can try to claim that because of the volume of tourism an event like that generates, I'm sure the outdoor game was mostly attended by those in Winnipeg and the surrounding areas.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Colton on March 06, 2018, 06:00:55 PM
The NHL isn't going to let you host an outdoor game over and over in your own city unless you're Chicago. Hosting a game in Regina may be a way to get some of that revenue again where you might not have that chance otherwise.

Chicago has hosted two (same as Boston, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Washington) and will be hosting a third next season along with Philadelphia. What's with the "over and over" comment? ???

Why would the NHL get in the way of Winnipeg hosting another outdoor game?

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on March 06, 2018, 06:37:41 PM
They're going halfway around the world to play games in Finland and by all accounts, they were big proponents of it. There is a limit to the amount of revenue they can pull out of the Winnipeg market. What is the difference between regular season indoor games in Finland and a regular-season outdoor game in Regina? The business case is probably stronger for playing an outdoor game in Regina. Outdoor games are basically regional affairs for the most part so what possible 'significant boon' did Winnipeg get for hosting the Heritage Classic? The Olympics and Superbowl can try to claim that because of the volume of tourism an event like that generates, I'm sure the outdoor game was mostly attended by those in Winnipeg and the surrounding areas.

I don't see a parallel between an outdoor game and the NHL Global Series. The latter is in place to promote the league and participating teams on the international stage and showcase players from overseas (Finland in this case). Of course TNSE would be on board with expanding its brand beyond North America. And in that particular case, each team loses a home game. How is that similar to hosting one outdoor game in Regina?

I hadn't thought of the tourism angle and I'm not sure if that plays a role. I was referring to the revenue generated locally by fans spending money at the games and nearby events, the increased price of tickets to attend it, as well as the sponsorship and marketing angles. That all amounts to an economic benefit for the host city. I have to think profit was generated as a result of the 2016 Heritage Classic. As I said previously, with TNSE being a prominent local entity, hosting an event in another city doesn't seem to fit into its framework as an organization.

I say that all strictly from an outside perspective, so this is just me speculating. I'm not sure how much stock can be put into what Friedman said the other night, anyway.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 06, 2018, 08:22:54 PM
Chicago has hosted two (same as Boston, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Washington) and will be hosting a third next season along with Philadelphia. What's with the "over and over" comment? ???

Why would the NHL get in the way of Winnipeg hosting another outdoor game?

I don't see a parallel between an outdoor game and the NHL Global Series. The latter is in place to promote the league and participating teams on the international stage and showcase players from overseas (Finland in this case). Of course TNSE would be on board with expanding its brand beyond North America. And in that particular case, each team loses a home game. How is that similar to hosting one outdoor game in Regina?

I hadn't thought of the tourism angle and I'm not sure if that plays a role. I was referring to the revenue generated locally by fans spending money at the games and nearby events, the increased price of tickets to attend it, as well as the sponsorship and marketing angles. That all amounts to an economic benefit for the host city. I have to think profit was generated as a result of the 2016 Heritage Classic. As I said previously, with TNSE being a prominent local entity, hosting an event in another city doesn't seem to fit into its framework as an organization.

I say that all strictly from an outside perspective, so this is just me speculating. I'm not sure how much stock can be put into what Friedman said the other night, anyway.

That's sort of dubious and not really the way it works. Most of the ways these sporting events make a case for themselves having a positive economic impact is to highlight new wealth being brought in for the event (ie. tourism). If it's mainly a regional affair, then it's mostly Winnipeggers spending their discretionary and entertainment dollars and they would do that anyway - if not on an outdoor hockey game, then on something else (or somethings else). The ticket revenue isn't being reinvested back in the community (since it went to the league) so you can't count that. It didn't create many local jobs outside of perhaps temporary game day help/security (and the league brought in all their own people). Restaurants and bars probably saw a boost in revenue that day, but that's not really enough to move the needle in most cases, and they likely would have seen a boost of some kind if they were playing the game elsewhere because either way, the game is on TV.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on March 07, 2018, 03:54:53 PM
That's sort of dubious and not really the way it works. Most of the ways these sporting events make a case for themselves having a positive economic impact is to highlight new wealth being brought in for the event (ie. tourism). If it's mainly a regional affair, then it's mostly Winnipeggers spending their discretionary and entertainment dollars and they would do that anyway - if not on an outdoor hockey game, then on something else (or somethings else). The ticket revenue isn't being reinvested back in the community (since it went to the league) so you can't count that. It didn't create many local jobs outside of perhaps temporary game day help/security (and the league brought in all their own people). Restaurants and bars probably saw a boost in revenue that day, but that's not really enough to move the needle in most cases, and they likely would have seen a boost of some kind if they were playing the game elsewhere because either way, the game is on TV.

Outdoor games in US markets generate revenue.

The 2014 Winter Classic reportedly netted $20M: https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/01/13/Events-and-Attractions/Winter-Classic.aspx
The 2017 Winter Classic was projected to generate around $18M: http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2016/12/28/winter-classic-could-generate-more-than-18m-for-st-louis/

I doubt the Canadian ones are an exception and the four Heritage Classic games have generated revenue, albeit on a lesser scale. I'm unable to find any figures online, though.

The 2011 Heritage Classic in Calgary set a sponsorship record at the time: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/heritage-classic-sponsorship-trumps-winter-classic-surprises-nhl

I'm sure local companies got on board as sponsors in Vancouver and Winnipeg for the Heritage Classic games in 2014 and 2016, respectively. Marquee events such as these are a good stage in that regard.

These outdoor games are meant to create revenue, so it seems reasonable to think through direct and indirect spending, revenue is generated for both the league and the host city. I don't see what's dubious about that.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.