NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockitch

Now I'm a solid Sens fans ........ not counting the Jets of course ........... Great get for the Sens, as Duchesne, in my eyes, is a super player.
Turris also being solid has just made the Preds even much better
The Avs got some serious good potential & are winner's here.
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

blue_or_die

#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Forbes has released its annual valuations of all 31 NHL franchises: https://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 05, 2017, 08:03:43 PM
Forbes has released its annual valuations of all 31 NHL franchises: https://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/
I call BS

the sens are in financial turmoil with a empty rink in a crappy location
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

blue_or_die

Weird proposal I came up with. Would love to hear input on this and have a discussion.

With talk of Seattle coming in (obviously nowhere near fruition yet), we would have even teams (32) and a potential 16 vs. 16 in the east and west, and 8 teams in each division. For this, some realignment is in order. The NHL said the last time they realigned a few years ago, a lot of it was weighted toward common time zone, which makes total sense. I kept that in mind as a number one priority, with (potential) rivalry being second.

Pacific:     Central:       
VAN            EDM
SEA             CGY
SJ               WPG
LA               MIN
ANA             CHI
LV                STL
AZ               NSH
COL             DAL

Metro and Atl stay the same, as they already had 8 in each division, and are all on EST time.

Biggest challenge is what to do with the 3 teams on mountain time (COL, EDM, CGY). I thought it would be interesting to add Colorado to their neighbours in the southwest, as they probably relate to people there more compared to those in the Midwest as they have it now in the Central. Edmonton and Calgary continue their rivalry with each other, and add Winnipeg to that list for more games against each other.

Move Florida to Quebec City, keeping the Lightning as "Florida's team" (Can even rename to "Florida Lightning" and play out of TB), and even down the line consider moving Carolina to Southern Ontario (Hamilton, London, whatever).

Thoughts?
#Ride?

theaardvark

Would it make ANY sense at all to share the Senators between Ottawa and Quebec City?  Even have a few nights a year where they play home games in Quebec (games that Ottawa is actually going to lose money on due to an empty building)
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on December 15, 2017, 03:14:43 PM
Would it make ANY sense at all to share the Senators between Ottawa and Quebec City?  Even have a few nights a year where they play home games in Quebec (games that Ottawa is actually going to lose money on due to an empty building)

Not the worst idea. Of course by "sharing", keeping it exactly as the Ottawa Senators brand but playing maybe 5 games per year there. Would probably make good coin compared to how the Ottawa arena will look by year's end.
#Ride?

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on December 14, 2017, 08:09:48 PM
Weird proposal I came up with. Would love to hear input on this and have a discussion.

With talk of Seattle coming in (obviously nowhere near fruition yet), we would have even teams (32) and a potential 16 vs. 16 in the east and west, and 8 teams in each division. For this, some realignment is in order. The NHL said the last time they realigned a few years ago, a lot of it was weighted toward common time zone, which makes total sense. I kept that in mind as a number one priority, with (potential) rivalry being second.

Pacific:     Central:       
VAN            EDM
SEA             CGY
SJ               WPG
LA               MIN
ANA             CHI
LV                STL
AZ               NSH
COL             DAL

Metro and Atl stay the same, as they already had 8 in each division, and are all on EST time.

Biggest challenge is what to do with the 3 teams on mountain time (COL, EDM, CGY). I thought it would be interesting to add Colorado to their neighbours in the southwest, as they probably relate to people there more compared to those in the Midwest as they have it now in the Central. Edmonton and Calgary continue their rivalry with each other, and add Winnipeg to that list for more games against each other.

Move Florida to Quebec City, keeping the Lightning as "Florida's team" (Can even rename to "Florida Lightning" and play out of TB), and even down the line consider moving Carolina to Southern Ontario (Hamilton, London, whatever).

Thoughts?

The only one that seems out of place is to me is Colorado. So, if they?re realigning, that?s probably as close as you can make it.

I would love more games against the Oilers and Flames.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_or_die on December 16, 2017, 06:51:43 PM
Not the worst idea. Of course by "sharing", keeping it exactly as the Ottawa Senators brand but playing maybe 5 games per year there. Would probably make good coin compared to how the Ottawa arena will look by year's end.

Since my post, Melnyk has shot himself in the foot, talking about moving the franchise.  I guess that he thinks that will spark some sort of loyalty push to put butts in the seats to show him they should stay. 

Unfortunately, I think it will have the opposite effect.  No one is feeling sorry for him having to pay out money on the teams financial woes.  If he's just going to move the team as soon as he can, lets not give him any more of our hard earned cash. 

Watch that arena empty...  sad really, when the Red Blacks have done so well.  Its not the market, and certainly not the team, (other than recent struggles).

Maybe moving the team to Quebec full time is the answer, for both parties.  Quebec City is only 2/3s the size of Ottawa, almost exactly the same size as Winnipeg, but probably a lot more passionate about hockey than Ottawa.

Giving Quebec City a team through expansion is impossible (too expensive), and moving an American team here would be harder than sliding Ottawa a little further east...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Jesse on December 17, 2017, 01:48:15 PM
The only one that seems out of place is to me is Colorado. So, if they?re realigning, that?s probably as close as you can make it.

I would love more games against the Oilers and Flames.

Yeah, it's tough to deal with the Oilers, Flames, and Avs because they are the only 3 on mountain time so they don't really fit anywhere. Thought it made sense to give them the rivalry with the Southwest mountain-y teams (Vegas, AZ), and keep the Oiler/Flames rivalry alive by keeping them together. Probably have more in common with teams in the Central anyway, since they actually have winter unlike the California teams. I realize the logic is kinda petty but just trying to be as accurate as possible.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on December 17, 2017, 02:28:41 PM
Watch that arena empty...  sad really, when the Red Blacks have done so well.  Its not the market, and certainly not the team, (other than recent struggles).

Maybe moving the team to Quebec full time is the answer, for both parties.  Quebec City is only 2/3s the size of Ottawa, almost exactly the same size as Winnipeg, but probably a lot more passionate about hockey than Ottawa.

Giving Quebec City a team through expansion is impossible (too expensive), and moving an American team here would be harder than sliding Ottawa a little further east...

The RedBlacks' success has nothing to do with the Senators, so why even bring them up? The Senators were a game away from being Eastern Conference Championships barely six months ago, anyway.

How is relocating the team to Quebec City the answer? And how are fans there "probably a lot more passionate" than fans in Ottawa? It isn't like Scotiabank Centre is empty - it's averaging over 16,400 fans per game, which translates to over 93% capacity so far this season. Just so you know, that's roughly the same as Vancouver this season.

Another gem of a post. :D

The Ottawa Senators aren't going anywhere. Unless it's to a new and better located home venue.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TrueBlue75

Quote from: Jersey on October 05, 2017, 02:56:31 PM
Hey I'm willing to stand by that in year 2 vs Crosby. Connor career just getting started. But Crosby achievements of winning I only can hope McDavid follows. It's not easy. But watch this kid 97 play he is a piece of work.

December can't come fast enough for my trip to Edmonton for 3 games. NYE vs Jets, jan 2 vs la and jan 4 vs ANA. Eeeek

;D
The oilers sure looked lost tonight and that is always awesome! The Jets just continue to amaze me. Our player depth is definitely showing in spades right now. Love it!

Jockitch

Just guessing .......... Oiler's coach gone, if results are poor in the next 10 games of 2018.
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

blue_or_die

Quote from: TrueBlue75 on January 01, 2018, 01:35:24 AM
;D
The oilers sure looked lost tonight and that is always awesome! The Jets just continue to amaze me. Our player depth is definitely showing in spades right now. Love it!

:D
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

And now McDavid is getting upset: https://www.tsn.ca/mcdavid-nhl-should-lose-offside-challenges-1.964019

While I can appreciate his frustration, offside is offside.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.