NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Colton on August 19, 2015, 09:00:20 PM
The players are still plastered with advertisements on every other piece of equipment they're paid to use, I'm not sure what makes Ford or McDonalds any worse than Nike/Reebok/Adidas/CCM/etc... Some could argue the latter are far worse than the former.

We're also posting on the board of a team who has advertisements on their jerseys. They are barely noticeable. I bet if you pulled aside random fans after a Bomber game and asked them what companies were featured on each teams jersey they wouldn't be able to even tell you.

How are the latter worse than the former? A player uses Reebok skates, Warrior gloves, and a CCM helmet. You or I could go to the store and buy the same gear for our own use and both versions have ads on them representing the manufacturer of that specific item. Similarly, a player's jersey has the Reebok insignia on it just like the jersey you or I could buy. How is that in any way similar to Ford or McDonald's slapping ad bars on that jersey?

And for the record, I despise the ads on CFL jerseys. Thankfully, they're small and somewhat easy to overlook, similar to what we saw on the Moose jerseys before the Jets returned. By contrast, what the NHL has purportedly put forward is a design similar to what we see in Europe, the KHL, and IIHF tournaments like the Spengler Cup. Most of those jerseys are hideous and the ads, IMO, take away from the appeal of the jersey. A similar approach to NHL jerseys would result in a similar reaction, at least from me.

I understand sponsorship and all that crap to make more money. But it doesn't appeal to me. Take NFL regular season jerseys, for example. Besides the Nike swoosh, numbers and a namebar, that's it. I'll take that any day. Just my two cents, though.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

I'm perfectly fine with small ads on NHL jerseys similar to CFL jerseys. It's when they're plastered all over like KHL or European soccer. I think it's hideous.

I little Nike check mark is considerably different than one going over the entire sleeve.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

D Christian Ehrhoff signs with the Kings:

http://www.tsn.ca/kings-sign-d-ehrhoff-to-one-year-1-5m-deal-1.349794

As first reported by TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, The Los Angeles Kings have signed veteran defenceman Christian Ehrhoff to a one-year deal. The deal is worth $1.5 million.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

31 yr old C of Calgary Giordino signs 6 yr, 6.75 AAV extension that takes him to age 39.

Looks like that will be the min number for Buff, and maybe a little more $ or term  for Ladd...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on August 25, 2015, 09:04:58 PM
31 yr old C of Calgary Giordino signs 6 yr, 6.75 AAV extension that takes him to age 39.

Looks like that will be the min number for Buff, and maybe a little more $ or term  for Ladd...

Gio is a far superior defenseman than Byfuglien. That extension should set the max, although that would be an overpayment if he signed a similar deal.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on August 25, 2015, 09:04:58 PM

Math.

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Colton

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 25, 2015, 09:28:24 PM
Math.

The signing was an extension to his current contract. He'll be 33 when this contract begins.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on August 25, 2015, 09:43:53 PM
Extension of current contract that still has time left on it...

Ah okay. Makes sense thank you.

blue_gold_84

RCMP charge former LA King with possession of a controlled substance:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/mike-richards-nhl-free-agent-charged-for-drug-possession-when-crossing-border-1.3205598

RCMP in Manitoba confirmed the controlled substance was drugs, but wouldn't give the type.

RCMP in Emerson have been investigating Richards, 30, since June 17, when they were notified that a controlled substance had been intercepted by the Canada Border Services Agency at the Manitoba town's port of entry.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

BomberPride

2 Kings players charged within the last few months for drugs.

Drugs are bad, mmkay?
What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: BomberPride on August 27, 2015, 05:38:14 PM
2 Kings players charged within the last few months for drugs.

Drugs are bad, mmkay?
figures
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

blue_gold_84

Penguins ownership asking for $750M USD for franchise:

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/sources-penguins-owners-looking-for-record-750m-for-team-1.354678

The owners of the Pittsburgh Penguins are asking $750 million (U.S.) for the team, but face long odds of finding a buyer who?s willing to pay that much because of the flagging North American economy and uncertainty over the future of the Canadian dollar, sports investment bankers say.

Forbes magazine reported last year that the Penguins were the 10th-most valuable NHL team, worth an estimated $565 million.

Steep and unrealistic asking price, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on September 02, 2015, 08:47:23 PM
Penguins ownership asking for $750M USD for franchise:

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/sources-penguins-owners-looking-for-record-750m-for-team-1.354678

The owners of the Pittsburgh Penguins are asking $750 million (U.S.) for the team, but face long odds of finding a buyer who?s willing to pay that much because of the flagging North American economy and uncertainty over the future of the Canadian dollar, sports investment bankers say.

Forbes magazine reported last year that the Penguins were the 10th-most valuable NHL team, worth an estimated $565 million.

Steep and unrealistic asking price, IMO.

Wow. Didn't Chipman buy the thrashers for under 200 Million? I get the Thrashers aren't the Penguins but still...that's a massive difference.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 03, 2015, 12:04:18 AM
Wow. Didn't Chipman buy the thrashers for under 200 Million? I get the Thrashers aren't the Penguins but still...that's a massive difference.

TNSE paid $170M for the Thrashers franchise plus a $60M relocation fee to the NHL. That still comes in at less than 1/3 what Penguins ownership is asking.

Talk about arrogant.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.