NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 14, 2015, 04:53:55 PM
Except it isn't a problem. Having a solid roster and a healthy prospect pipeline gives the Jets a significant advantage. They can retain key pieces while shedding ineffective/aging pieces and replacing them with younger ones. Prospects who need time to develop can do so in the AHL. An embarrassment of riches is never a problem in today's NHL. Can this be said about the Maple Leafs right now? Hell no.

And it isn't about meddling. Shanahan was brought in to oversee the process. That doesn't mean he should appoint himself GM, though. Take a look at what Linden did in Vancouver. I think that's the kind of model Shanahan now hopes to emulate with the Maple Leafs. Hiring a big name GM and/or coach really goes against that.

No problem watching Zach Redmond toiling for the Av's, putting up 15 min a game, 20 points.  And we got what for him?  Zip?

That's my point.  There are going to be a lot of players that will come through our development structure that we will not have room for, and will go on to have good NHL careers elsewhere. 

Guy's that have come through our system, like Redmond, guys like Pardy, ODell, Cormier...  all UFA, most won't be wearing Jets colours next year.  Too many RFA's, too many prospects that need the chance to move up, for us to keep these guys.  But they, like Redmond, are good enough to play somewhere.

A wonderful problem to have. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on April 14, 2015, 05:35:55 PM
No problem watching Zach Redmond toiling for the Av's, putting up 15 min a game, 20 points.  And we got what for him?  Zip?

That's my point.  There are going to be a lot of players that will come through our development structure that we will not have room for, and will go on to have good NHL careers elsewhere. 

Guy's that have come through our system, like Redmond, guys like Pardy, ODell, Cormier...  all UFA, most won't be wearing Jets colours next year.  Too many RFA's, too many prospects that need the chance to move up, for us to keep these guys.  But they, like Redmond, are good enough to play somewhere.

The Jets let him go. Are they missing him? Not really. Welcome to the NHL of today. You don't always get something in return. This happens to 29 other teams. Did the Avs get anything for Statsny?

Pardy isn't a necessity and didn't come through the Jets' system. O'Dell might have potential in the NHL but he isn't a necessity, either. Cormier looks like a career AHLer and again, isn't a necessity.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Nic16

Quote from: theaardvark on April 14, 2015, 05:35:55 PM

Redmond was a Thrashers DP that was 7-8th d-man coming off a horrific injury so getting anything in return for him was not going to be an easy task.

Pardy is a journeyman 6-8th D-man who will likely sign 1-2 yr low end contracts for the remainder of his career whether it be with the Jets or another team.

O'Dell is another Thrashers DP that at this stage can only hope that some team has room on their AHL club for him.

Cormier is quickly running out of time and will be in the same boat as O'Dell.

Losing players such as these guys is due to their perceived ceiling, and not because we have this huge influx of talent pushing them out the door. The re-building of the Jets roster is currently said to be ahead of schedule, however, the AHL roster is still a work in progress and will take a few more years.

New_Earth_Mud

Another thing that is looked at when we let guys go is do they fit into our system. We have 2 guys in Petan and Ehlers that are smaller guick guys. We dont want alot of guys like that on our roster. Look at Odell... Hes got alright size but is he fast enough and agressive enough to fit into our system? we have a number of guys that Maurice and staff will have to look at. They might be good players but they just dont fit.

Redmond was good but im not sure he had the agression we need and you can only have so many guys like that.

This is what GMs mean when they talk about good hockey moves that make sense to there teams.

We seem to be setting the tone we are going to be big fast and mean..... We cant have a bunch of Petans and Ehlers on the roster if thats our identity so we will have to pick n choose what smaller guys we want and what guys we let go.

Another thing for us anyway is we will want guys with leadership quality's. Maurice talks about this alot.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

theaardvark

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on April 14, 2015, 11:20:43 PM
Another thing that is looked at when we let guys go is do they fit into our system. We have 2 guys in Petan and Ehlers that are smaller guick guys. We dont want alot of guys like that on our roster. Look at Odell... Hes got alright size but is he fast enough and agressive enough to fit into our system? we have a number of guys that Maurice and staff will have to look at. They might be good players but they just dont fit.

Redmond was good but im not sure he had the agression we need and you can only have so many guys like that.

This is what GMs mean when they talk about good hockey moves that make sense to there teams.

We seem to be setting the tone we are going to be big fast and mean..... We cant have a bunch of Petans and Ehlers on the roster if thats our identity so we will have to pick n choose what smaller guys we want and what guys we let go.

Another thing for us anyway is we will want guys with leadership quality's. Maurice talks about this alot.

Enstrom and Perrault fit nice regardless size... like you said, there is a bigger picture.  Most of the Jets DP's fit a certain style.  Chevy has done pretty darned good.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

You're not wrong Muddy but I do think/hope Chevy will find a place for both Ehlers and Petan. Heck, for all we know, maybe Chevy's plan all along has been to become competitive in the short term by being big and strong and fast, and then transitioning to a skillset-heavy roster down the line?

When you're deep and have a lot in the pipe it's open season for teams with big holes to fill and it may be possible for a Toronto to pick up a Petan for next to nothing, kinda like us picking up Perreault for free from a very loaded Ducks team.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Nic16 on April 14, 2015, 09:12:02 PM
O'Dell is another Thrashers DP that at this stage can only hope that some team has room on their AHL club for him.

Cormier is quickly running out of time and will be in the same boat as O'Dell.

O'Dell was drafted by the Anaheim Ducks in 2008. Cormier was a NJ Devils draft pick that same year.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

I took lightning including Bishop, and New York in the East.  I went with Chicago, St. Louis, Winnipeg in the west.  Go all those teams !!! Especially Winnipeg obviously  :)
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: blue_or_die on April 15, 2015, 04:01:03 PM
You're not wrong Muddy but I do think/hope Chevy will find a place for both Ehlers and Petan. Heck, for all we know, maybe Chevy's plan all along has been to become competitive in the short term by being big and strong and fast, and then transitioning to a skillset-heavy roster down the line?

When you're deep and have a lot in the pipe it's open season for teams with big holes to fill and it may be possible for a Toronto to pick up a Petan for next to nothing, kinda like us picking up Perreault for free from a very loaded Ducks team.

Oh we will forsure find sports for Petan and Ehlers. But you dont want a team full of them. And i dont think we will switch to a smaller skilled team. We will have them kinda players on our roster but we wont build a team like that. We will continue to build our team with bigger fast agressive guys like Ladd, Wheels, Schief, Lowry Trouba,Buff and Myers.

Playing in the West we will need to stay how we are. Just improve on it.

Another thing we have to remember is most of our DP are going to go more the route of a Shief and not so much Trouba. Once drafted they will need 2 or 3 years to add weight and hone their skills.

Next year i can see Ehlers, Petan and Morrissey making the big team. But then again maybe not LOL

Ehlers will make in foesure IMO hes got mad skill and we really dont have any option really. He cant play in the A and hes way to good to go back to junior.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

theaardvark

Don't forget, we have guys like Armia and Lemieux that will be in TC next year as well...  and Comrie and Hellbuyck too. 

GOLDMEMBER

Nice win my the Hawks, Flames last night. Hamblurger couldn't stop nothing!

galeforce

Listening to the third period Hawks-Preds ... Hawks are getting killed ... 6-2 right now ... Crawford having a miserable night in goal ... Hawks broadcasters taking him to task for a number of things ...

Rhapsody in Blue

From TSN:

Los Angeles Kings centre Jarret Stoll was arrested Friday for suspected cocaine possession at the MGM Grand Hotel's Wet Republic pool complex.

Las Vegas police Lt. Michael Mauntel said Stoll is being held at the Clark County Detention Center.

The 32-year-old Stoll is an unrestricted free agent after struggling this season. He had six goals and 11 assists in 73 games, his seventh with Los Angeles after five with Edmonton.

The centre helped the Kings win Stanley Cup titles in 2012 and 2014. Los Angeles missed the playoffs this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/kings-stoll-arrested-in-las-vegas-1.260263

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Rhapsody in Blue on April 18, 2015, 05:31:35 AM
From TSN:

Los Angeles Kings centre Jarret Stoll was arrested Friday for suspected cocaine possession at the MGM Grand Hotel's Wet Republic pool complex.

Las Vegas police Lt. Michael Mauntel said Stoll is being held at the Clark County Detention Center.

The 32-year-old Stoll is an unrestricted free agent after struggling this season. He had six goals and 11 assists in 73 games, his seventh with Los Angeles after five with Edmonton.

The centre helped the Kings win Stanley Cup titles in 2012 and 2014. Los Angeles missed the playoffs this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/kings-stoll-arrested-in-las-vegas-1.260263
wow what a mess that guy might be. Dating actresses, living in Lala land for that long could due some damage to your habits.

GOLDMEMBER

I didn't see the Ellers hit that hurt him but he was being a chippy player out there and he might of had it coming. Look like he was trying to hard to get under others guys skins to me.

Preds thrash Hawks. I see that one going 7 now. Same with the Islanders V Caps series. That one has 7 written all over it as well.

Hate to say it but if the Sens get one win they'd be doing well.