NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on February 11, 2024, 04:39:17 AMMR44 for the Leaf's will be hearing from the league. Stupid play

Can't wait to hear how they justify letting him get away with a fine instead of a suspension.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

The NHL is sad and inconsistent when it comes to suspension. There usually all over the map.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Zadorov 2 game for check to the head. Why not 3?

Pigskin

5 games for MR44. I like it.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

J5V

Quote from: Pigskin on February 13, 2024, 10:30:39 PM5 games for MR44. I like it.
It'll be appealed and reduced to maybe 3 games, I believe.
Go Bombers!

Pigskin

Give an extra for appealing it, and another game for playing for the Leaf's.

J5V

Quote from: Pigskin on February 14, 2024, 11:18:53 PMGive an extra for appealing it, and another game for playing for the Leaf's.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Go Bombers!

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on February 13, 2024, 10:30:39 PM5 games for MR44. I like it.

I still think that an appeal should have repercussions.  There is no doubt that 5 games is reasonable for this, non game related, after the whistle, dangerous act.  He should be charged with assault, because this was not part of the game play.

I'd love Bettman to extend the suspension to 10 games.  This would end anyone appealing unless a suspension was egregiously wrong.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Blue Jackets fire GM Kekalainen: https://www.nhl.com/news/jarmo-kekalainen-fired-as-columbus-gm

President of Hockey Operations David Johnson will take over in the interim.

Long overdue, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Pigskin

Milan Lucic domestic violence charges have been dropped. Apparently his wife will not testify. I guess it's up to Gary now if he plays again this season.

theaardvark

No surprise that Reaves thinks this is not a penalty, and part of the game for "disrespecting" a team by celebrating an empty netter.  Maybe MR44 should have been there to defend the goal in the first place, not the "team's honour" after the play is over.

Now Leaf fans are saying that this is Bettman and the league hating the Leafs.  Really?  The Leafs that get every favourable ruling ever?  The Leafs where ref's put the whistles in the pockets, and they still can't win?

Yeah, its the league front office that has prevented the team with the highest payroll just about every year, and sold out crowds, from winning a cup in over 50 years?

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

dd

Back in the good ole days, reaves is right, this wouldn't have been a penalty and Reilly's retaliation would have been expected and applauded. But not in the new-made-for-the-weasels NHL. Players hide behind visors, stick people left right and centre. Back in the day there was respect in the game or you paid the price. What really did hardly deserves a game suspension let alone 5, but that's the new NHL, and it stinks

theaardvark

Quote from: dd on February 17, 2024, 01:09:48 AMBack in the good ole days, reaves is right, this wouldn't have been a penalty and Reilly's retaliation would have been expected and applauded. But not in the new-made-for-the-weasels NHL. Players hide behind visors, stick people left right and centre. Back in the day there was respect in the game or you paid the price. What really did hardly deserves a game suspension let alone 5, but that's the new NHL, and it stinks

Yeah, hockey has changed.  Less goonery, more skill.  Faster play, more creativity, fewer career ending injuries, less axe swings at the head from behind after the play almost killing a player.

Has hockey become "made for the weasels"?  It has moved that direction, sure.  The dirty players today don't foil up before the game.  Want to watch UFC?  Go watch UFC.

Today's hockey is more about hockey, less about coming to see a car crash.  Nascar has made its "game" a lot safer, footbsll has taken out some of the most exciting plays because they were too dangerous.  About the only games that haven't implemented rules to make the safer are golf and soccer.  And you don't see a lot of blood in either of those sports.

5 games is not enough for a head hunting crosscheck from behind after the play.  No matter what the player did to "offend the code".  You blew the defensive coverage, you gave him the opportunity to insult you.  Want to defend your honour?  Skate in front of him and drop your gloves.  Cross checking to the head from behind is a chickenpoop move.

He should get 6-10 games on appeal.  There has to be a penalty for the appeal, like the delay of game after an unsuccessful challenge.