NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jersey

Jesse, Jesse. Where do i begin, **** am I talking to myself? lol

First off, WHL defense-men of the year in the waiting. We just got new Johnny Hockey type where he absolutely ripped the league last year Kail Yamamoto. Jesse Puljuj?rvi as well. Our rookies last year, Benning, Cagguila, Khaira, Slepyshev all just got big exposure to NHL. Players Drai, McD, Klef, Larson, Nurse, Strome, are all 23 and under. Nuge 24 Years old. That's 11 starters all very young. Oilers dont just have two young studs with all these old vets, lol. We have a stud in goal tending as well, which helps our future. We brought in Jussi Jokinen who just scored 60 points with Florida 2 years ago etc... I truly dont understand your philosophy in Oilers and McDavid contract. Salary cap will probably be getting a good bumped in few years with new american nhl tv deal. Oilers had over 19 million this year. Ok so Drai and McDavid will eat that but I dont see Nuge 6 million staying here to much longer. As well, cap will go up soon anywho as it went up 2m anyways this year.

Crosby just won 3 Stanley Cups and you choose to pick those years when they dont win? huh?? I'm sorry but that's absolute terrible analysts. Pittsburgh always been a good team, Crosby always been elite and he always was pure success. They made playoffs consistently, he had concussion issues. This guy contract has zero to do with them losing. You cant win every year but he sure has won 3 times since 2009. Where is the issue with them? Gosh your trying to reflect that to the Oilers? wow thx you. I'd love 3 cups in 9 years! Its ok to HATE Oilers, say you want them to not succeed or whatever...or maybe brag about Jets, sure. I get it. But come on this is not even accurate what you're saying.

Every single GM would have locked up McDavid just as Oilers did OR Crosby. McDavid you would not be signing him up for less then 12.5M. McDavid at 20 has already have an amazing start to his career. You have to remember each city is different then an other for player taxes as well. Edmonton is 7th lowest in NHL, McDavid only clears just over 6 million a year from 12.5M. Winnipeg is one of highest he woulda been taxed 50.21% This one of the bigger issues why Players go to certain markets. Toronto is 53% they would have taken, its CRAZY. But he wants to take some money home too.

🏈 #15 WBBombers #1  🏉 #12 GBPackers #87
🚨 #97 OrangeCrush #29  Let's Go Oilers 🥅
#27 Let's Go Angels ⚾ / ⚽ #7 Portugal 🇵🇹

Jersey

Quote from: Colton on July 05, 2017, 09:37:36 PM
I'm sure Oilers fans want to right about now
:D ;)

BTW Coltan what did you think about Marleau leaving, that kinda sucked. Been a shark forever, gonna be weird seeing him in leafs. Whats your feelings? He is getting older but did score 27...

Colton

Quote from: Jersey on July 10, 2017, 02:18:06 PM
:D ;)

BTW Coltan what did you think about Marleau leaving, that kinda sucked. Been a shark forever, gonna be weird seeing him in leafs. Whats your feelings? He is getting older but did score 27...

I can't blame him. The offer he received was miles better than what he was being offered here. I also think he rightfully may have loved playing for the San Jose Sharks, but hated playing for the San Jose Sharks management.

I wish he had done it a day earlier so we had a little more flexibility on how to replace his production.

To your second point, I thought this past season was his best in a few years. The overall points total was down but that kind of rang true for the whole team (And our PP blew, which doesn't help those numbers) He looked much more dangerous on his own this past season and looked a lot quicker than the previous two. Three years of this past year Marleau is a good deal for Toronto. Three years of previous year Marleau would be a bit of a disaster. I don't know which they'll get.

blue_gold_84

The LA Kings name their new offensive coordinator: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/article/kings-name-turgeon-offensive-coordinator-1.801111

The Los Angeles Kings announced they have added former NHLer Pierre Turgeon to their coaching staff specifically in the role of "Offensive Coordinator".

For the first time in LA Kings history, there will be one coach dedicated to an "Offensive Coordinator" role.https://t.co/6CUVkWAI4w
? #LAKings (@LAKings) July 10, 2017

"We are thrilled to bring Pierre Turgeon aboard to join John Stevens and our coaching staff. For the first time in LA Kings history we will have one coach strictly dedicated to an 'Offensive Coordinator' role," Kings President Luc Robitaille said in a statement released by the Kings.

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

sweep the leg

Quote from: Jesse on July 08, 2017, 04:13:27 PM
You ever notice the dip in the Pittsburgh Penguin play off success between 2009-2014 exactly coincides with Crosby's 2nd contract?
It coincides with Crosby's concussion problems and a couple years of coming unglued against the Flyers in the playoffs.

Jersey

Quote from: Colton on July 10, 2017, 03:45:14 PM
I can't blame him. The offer he received was miles better than what he was being offered here. I also think he rightfully may have loved playing for the San Jose Sharks, but hated playing for the San Jose Sharks management.

I wish he had done it a day earlier so we had a little more flexibility on how to replace his production.

To your second point, I thought this past season was his best in a few years. The overall points total was down but that kind of rang true for the whole team (And our PP blew, which doesn't help those numbers) He looked much more dangerous on his own this past season and looked a lot quicker than the previous two. Three years of this past year Marleau is a good deal for Toronto. Three years of previous year Marleau would be a bit of a disaster. I don't know which they'll get.
Totally. To score 27 in this league is no slouch. I still respected him as a player, dangerous even at 37 years old. But leafs over paid. They clearly threw money and hoped he'd go there. Did they say what sharks offered?

Always tough to see a guy who's played his *** off for you to leave. But it's part of sports sharks will move on and  have to find someone to fill that position in future. He's been there since I been a kid, foreveeeeer.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: sweep the leg on July 11, 2017, 03:05:30 AM
It coincides with Crosby's concussion problems and a couple years of coming unglued against the Flyers in the playoffs.

That only happened once, in the 2012 post-season.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

Quote from: Jersey on July 11, 2017, 11:55:17 AM
Totally. To score 27 in this league is no slouch. I still respected him as a player, dangerous even at 37 years old. But leafs over paid. They clearly threw money and hoped he'd go there. Did they say what sharks offered?

Always tough to see a guy who's played his *** off for you to leave. But it's part of sports sharks will move on and  have to find someone to fill that position in future. He's been there since I been a kid, foreveeeeer.

I can't remember the source so I don't remember if it was speculation or actual insider information, but I believe the offer to Marleau was 2 years - 5 or 5.5M per year.

I have no memory of watching a single Sharks game without Marleau in the lineup. I don't even mean just him being with the organization, I know I would have watched a couple of the games they played when he was injured for a game or two way back when, but I don't remember them well/at all.

The Sharks have played 1524 regular season games since Marleau was drafted, and he played in 1493 of them. If we include playoffs into that number, he's played 1670 of 1710.

Jersey

Haha. Exactly. See I think sharks gave a way more logical offer. 2 years anything over 5M is good!

Leafs overspent but I guess they got the room, so why not. Hey if he can land them 25 maybe help out some of young guns, it's worth it.

buckzumhoff

I think a good move by the Leafs. They get another goal scorer.

blue_gold_84

Deal to sell Carolina Hurricanes close, per reports: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-13/greenberg-is-said-to-near-500-million-deal-for-nhl-s-hurricanes

Chuck Greenberg, once part-owner and CEO of the Texas Rangers, is close to completing an agreement to buy the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes for about $500 million, according to people familiar with the deal.

The team will stay in North Carolina. Greenberg will seek to add local investors to the ownership group and plans to split his time between Raleigh and Dallas, said the people, who asked for anonymity because the negotiations are private.

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

http://www.tsn.ca/report-hurricanes-attendance-down-32-per-cent-over-10-years-1.808287

Report: Hurricanes attendance down 32 per cent over 10 years

According to the financial news website 24/7 Wall St., the Carolina Hurricanes have suffered the second largest attendance drop in major league sports over the past 10 years.

The outlet reviewed the 10-year average home attendance of franchises in the MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL to see which teams were losing the most fans.

The Hurricanes, who have reached the playoffs just once since winning the Stanley Cup in 2006, have seen their attendance dip 32.3 per cent from their roughly 17,000 average attendance 10 years ago to their average of 11,776 this year. The team's average fill capacity sat at 63 per cent this season - the worst among NHL teams.

The Colorado Avalanche, who finished the 2016-17 last in the NHL, were the only other NHL team make the top 10, seeing a 15.8 per cent drop in average attendance from 2006. The Pepsi Centre was, on average, 82.4 per cent filled for Avalanche games last season.

The Ottawa Senators were the only Canadian team to make the list, seeing an attendance drop of 13.6 per cent since the season following their lone Stanley Cup Final appearance. The Senators averaged 87.4 per cent of capacity at the Canadian Tire Centre last season.

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jersey

Oilers went way up in attendance due to new arena and are the 4th most profitable gate revenue in NHL in 2017. TSN's Dregger says Oilers will profit 4th most financially in NHL once the biggest sports district in north america 'ice district' is open in 2 years! Few things are open but phase 2 is being put together right now. "It's a city in a city" Oilers will finish top 3 or 4 in gate revenue every year as long as they keep selling out which looks to be for a while as there season ticket holders jumped to 16,000 (from 15,000 from old rexall) There ticket average went up too (comes with a new arena) 1,200 mini packs holders and Mini packs are so popular they have priority draws, your name has to be picked just to get a chance at mini packs. My police buddy from Winnipeg is a Oilers fan he got picked last year and sold 2 games and kept his other 2 games to attend in Edmonton. He's been picked twice in 4 years, good luck!! Its good to be in Oilers Country these days! sure exciting.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jersey on July 20, 2017, 10:18:36 PM
Oilers went way up in attendance due to new arena and are the 4th most profitable gate revenue in NHL in 2017. TSN's Dregger says Oilers will profit 4th most financially in NHL once the biggest sports district in north america 'ice district' is open in 2 years! Few things are open but phase 2 is being put together right now. "It's a city in a city" Oilers will finish top 3 or 4 in gate revenue every year as long as they keep selling out which looks to be for a while as there season ticket holders jumped to 16,000 (from 15,000 from old rexall) There ticket average went up too (comes with a new arena) 1,200 mini packs holders and Mini packs are so popular they have priority draws, your name has to be picked just to get a chance at mini packs. My police buddy from Winnipeg is a Oilers fan he got picked last year and sold 2 games and kept his other 2 games to attend in Edmonton. He's been picked twice in 4 years, good luck!! Its good to be in Oilers Country these days! sure exciting.
so what!

Jets are gonna be good to.

Still #1 most "no move clause to" city in the league. Yes I know Winnipeg is #2.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jersey

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 21, 2017, 01:26:36 AM
so what!

Jets are gonna be good to.

Still #1 most "no move clause to" city in the league. Yes I know Winnipeg is #2.
What?

Anyways I wasn't directing it at Winnipeg. Yes Winnipeg will be fine 👍 but theyre not top 10 in gate revenue or total profit organization. It's small market here. I hope nothing but best for Jets tho as my friends would be happy. But I will not give bias, that usually lands me in trouble here lol. I wanna see jets VS Oilers series 👍

But for a team that was so bad for 8 years and still sold out consistently not many cities could do that. Now rewarded with a nhl gem of a new arena and biggest sports district erecting its great for us Oilers fan's becuz that means we can compete VS anybody. We could never say that before. Having Drai McD, Klef and talby helps at important positions.