NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMT21

Quote from: dd on March 22, 2017, 09:56:19 PM
I thought the Olympics were supposed to be for amateur athletes, not professionals, when did they change the rules so NHL and NBA players can participate ??

Also, will be interesting if the NHL decides not to go, but Ovechin and others go anyways ---could get ugly...

Solely amateurs participating in the Olympics ended decades and decades ago.  The Soviet National Hockey team portrayed themselves as amateurs yet all belonged to the military as part of a special regiment who did nothing but train and play hockey 12 months a year. The Olympics started allowing NBA and NHL players to boost TV ratings. Oddly enough the highest rated Winter Olympic event in the U.S. is always women's figure skating. 

Some teams will likely not try to stop it's player's from going to the Olympics, but I did read it the NHL would consider that a contract violation. This being said, if #8 wants to go to the Olympics... nothing will stop him.

theaardvark

The number pf players lost to each team is fairly small when they shut down the entire league.  Most players get a vacation.  If you take away paychecks and let them participate on their own during the season, some will go.  Without insurance, etc, a lot will decide not to. 

If the NHL teams allowed AHL players to participate, made a window for them, that would showcase up and coming NHL talent without affecting the season/players at the NHL level.

Maybe they could allow each country a max of 1 or 2 NHL "stars", limiting how many from each NHL team could go (based on seniority or some criteria), I'm sure there wouldn't be a big effect on the NHL product.  There could even be an IIHF "draft", how exciting would that be? ;)
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Mike

Quote from: theaardvark on March 23, 2017, 12:38:47 PM
The number pf players lost to each team is fairly small when they shut down the entire league.  Most players get a vacation.  If you take away paychecks and let them participate on their own during the season, some will go.  Without insurance, etc, a lot will decide not to. 

If the NHL teams allowed AHL players to participate, made a window for them, that would showcase up and coming NHL talent without affecting the season/players at the NHL level.

Maybe they could allow each country a max of 1 or 2 NHL "stars", limiting how many from each NHL team could go (based on seniority or some criteria), I'm sure there wouldn't be a big effect on the NHL product.  There could even be an IIHF "draft", how exciting would that be? ;)

It wouldn't be.

It's the Olympics. Not a gimmick. Get a grip.

theaardvark

Quote from: Mike on March 23, 2017, 12:40:29 PM
It wouldn't be.

It's the Olympics. Not a gimmick. Get a grip.

I thought that the NHL wasn't interested because there wasn't anything in it for them.  Create some hype, some interest, while minimizing the damage to the product, and its a win/win...

And yes, it is a gimmick.  but that's money.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on March 23, 2017, 02:33:51 PM
I thought that the NHL wasn't interested because there wasn't anything in it for them.  Create some hype, some interest, while minimizing the damage to the product, and its a win/win...

And yes, it is a gimmick.  but that's money.

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

dd

I think Betman is posturing for the NHL for the money that's involved , while the players are going for patriot reasons. If Ovechin is going , others will go and I wonder if the league has the stones to take legal recourse against players not abiding by the league to which they are employed by

Colton

Quote from: dd on March 23, 2017, 04:31:05 PM
I think Betman is posturing for the NHL for the money that's involved , while the players are going for patriot reasons. If Ovechin is going , others will go and I wonder if the league has the stones to take legal recourse against players not abiding by the league to which they are employed by

The players aren't employed by the league, they're employed by their teams.

dd

Colton

Quote from: dd on March 23, 2017, 09:36:16 PM
Who are governed by the league

Players cannot be punished by the league for failing to attend games during the Olympic break, only by their individual teams.

blue_gold_84

Eugene Melnyk is whining again:

http://www.tsn.ca/senators-owner-melnyk-irate-over-crosby-s-slash-on-methot-1.705254

"You do anything that's almost a certain injury and I think the only way to do it is you wipe the guy off the map," Melnyk told TSN 1200. "Not one or two games, (but) 10. How about a season for a few of these guys' He takes my guy, I take your guy. That's my attitude."

I get that he's frustrated and it's unfortunate to lose an important piece of the back end (Jets fans are very familiar with that), but what a ridiculous overreaction. This is the same thing he did when Cooke severed Karlsson's achilles tendon a few seasons ago: loses his mind and cries to the media about it.

It's unfortunate Methot had to suffer a pretty ugly injury as a result of what's pretty common in the NHL.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

buckzumhoff

Too Common.  that's half the game you see now.  Not fast enough to catch up to the player with the puck and check properly  so now its a two handed slash to the wrist or forearm. You see it every shift. Any injury should be 5 games or the same amount as the player injured misses.  But because its Crosby he will get a warning . Seems a lot of Penguin players get warnings not suspensions.

Colton

Quote from: Buckzumhoff on March 24, 2017, 05:31:22 PM
Too Common.  that's half the game you see now.  Not fast enough to catch up to the player with the puck and check properly  so now its a two handed slash to the wrist or forearm. You see it every shift. Any injury should be 5 games or the same amount as the player injured misses.  But because its Crosby he will get a warning . Seems a lot of Penguin players get warnings not suspensions.

Just because it's Crosby? Could you please name the last player to receive a fine/suspension for a slash?

theaardvark

Question.

If MA Fleury has a no trade clause, he must be protected by Pittsburg, right?  Unless he waives it?  Is there something different between a No Move clause, and No Trade clause and a modified no trade clause? 

It just seems to me that if Pittsburgh goes into the draft with their roster as it sits, they have to leave Murray unprotected.  Which makes the Fleury for Hutch trade workable. 

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

Regulations Relating to Expansion Franchise
* The Las Vegas franchise must select one player from each presently existing club for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).

* The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap.

* The Las Vegas franchise may not buy out any of the players selected in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

The 30 NHL Clubs must submit their Protection List by 5:00 P.M. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017. The Las Vegas team must submit their Expansion Draft Selections by 5:00 P.M. ET on June 20 and the announcement of their selections will be released on made on June 21.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on March 25, 2017, 05:55:28 AM
It just seems to me that if Pittsburgh goes into the draft with their roster as it sits, they have to leave Murray unprotected.  Which makes the Fleury for Hutch trade workable. 

No, it doesn't.

And yes, there are differences between clauses.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

dd

Guarantee you, whomever Las Vagas drafts for their goalies are better than our current 2