NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on April 12, 2015, 04:20:25 PM
#Leafs announce Nonis, Horachek, Spott, Dennis, St. Croix have been fired.
that Nonis guy shouldn't be in the league again. He seems to fail everywhere he goes.

Full house cleaning

To be expected there though.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on April 12, 2015, 04:30:50 PM
that Nonis guy shouldn't be in the league again. He seems to fail everywhere he goes.

Full house cleaning

To be expected there though.

Ya he sucks
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

The Zipp

tough market in Toronto...probably shouldn't have fired Carlyle.  Can you imagine being the GM and coach of that team if they ever have some semblance of success?  You would be king of the world - for a short time anyway.

At least they got it over with before the playoffs start...

theaardvark

So, how many seconds after Detroit finishes their season does Babcock get a $10mil/yr offer from Toronto?  

Who do they tap for GM?  Steal away a Holland,  do they go after a Slats?  They have to sign someone Big.  Do they get Scotty Bowman to unretire?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

carlo todaro ‏@juventus777JETS
. The Leafs Brendan Shanahan just got offered a job to write for Game of Thrones , #TheBlueWedding #TMLtalk #LeafsNation #NHL
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: theaardvark on April 12, 2015, 05:15:25 PM
So, how many seconds after Detroit finishes their season does Babcock get a $10mil/yr offer from Toronto?  

Who do they tap for GM?  Steal away a Holland,  do they go after a Slats?  They have to sign someone Big.  Do they get Scotty Bowman to unretire?

Babcock wont go to the Leafs
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on April 12, 2015, 05:15:25 PM

$10M/year for a head coach...? LOL :D

No way Holland and/or Babcock leave the stability and consistency of the Red Wings to go attempt to put out the dumpster fire in Toronto.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Rhapsody in Blue

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 13, 2015, 02:43:54 PM
$10M/year for a head coach...? LOL :D

No way Holland and/or Babcock leave the stability and consistency of the Red Wings to go attempt to put out the dumpster fire in Toronto.

Doesn't mean the Leafs won't make an offer though.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Rhapsody in Blue on April 13, 2015, 02:48:19 PM
Doesn't mean the Leafs won't make an offer though.

I'm sure they will. Babcock is an excellent coach. But not even the likes of he or Holland could get that organization on the right track any time soon. The Leafs are a mess.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

No body in hockey is in it for an easy, cushy job.  They just aren't built for that.

On the other hand, if a new GM and Coach comes into Toronto, and turns the dumpster fire around, can you imagine what they would garner in accolades? 

Hiring a coach away from an established organization with a history of winning will be tough.  Plan B, bring in a crew that did well, but suffered from off ice problems. 

Pittsburgh, Boston, Buffalo all will be in a similar position to Toronto, either having already cleared or about to clear house.  Maybe one of those crews can clean up the mess, or at least get it to the next stage, where you can actually see credibility from. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on April 13, 2015, 03:26:20 PM
No body in hockey is in it for an easy, cushy job.  They just aren't built for that.

The same way nobody is in it to leave a successful and stable situation for the polar opposite.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 13, 2015, 03:41:16 PM
The same way nobody is in it to leave a successful and stable situation for the polar opposite.

Except if the money and challenge makes it impossible to say no...

Nic16

Quote from: theaardvark on April 13, 2015, 03:51:26 PM
Except if the money and challenge makes it impossible to say no...

The Leafs are a tire fire that is going to take several years to put out. They need to win the McDavid lottery and few years of solid drafting to get them out of the mess they are in.

I can see Babcock remaining in Detroit until Shanny can prove that the fire in the big smoke is atleast getting under control.

theaardvark

The Leafs do have some players and prospects.  They aren't an empty barrel.  Had Carlyle been allowed to finish the year, things might have been a little different. 

The big thing that is attractive about the Leafs is the budget.  Here, we're up against a budget, not a cap.  With playoff revenue now, those might be the same number, but there is always a concern, and with the UFA's coming in the next two years, budget is killer.

The Leafs will spend to the cap without concern.  And having the ability to pick up dead contracts gives them added trade potential.  This is a team that has all the tools a GM could want. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on April 13, 2015, 06:42:36 PM
The Leafs do have some players and prospects.  They aren't an empty barrel.  Had Carlyle been allowed to finish the year, things might have been a little different. 

The big thing that is attractive about the Leafs is the budget.  Here, we're up against a budget, not a cap.  With playoff revenue now, those might be the same number, but there is always a concern, and with the UFA's coming in the next two years, budget is killer.

The Leafs will spend to the cap without concern.  And having the ability to pick up dead contracts gives them added trade potential.  This is a team that has all the tools a GM could want. 

Not an empty barrel, but not brimming with talent, either current or potential. William Nylander is about the best prospect in that barrel.

I'm hesitant to say if there anything attractive about the Leafs organization right now. What's attractive about a raging dumpster fire?

"This is a team that has all the tools in place."
Yeah, to do a complete teardown and rebuild from the ground up, a process which could realistically take four or five years. Why would any GM or HC leave a successful organization to take on such a daunting task? Let's not forget this is Toronto, where fans and the media are about as rabid as you can find. A prospective GM or HC would take such a factor into consideration.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.