#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

As a PC gamer I always find these spec releases kind of funny. An SSD? Welcome to 2012.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on March 19, 2020, 02:27:10 PM
As a PC gamer I always find these spec releases kind of funny. An SSD? Welcome to 2012.

Considering the prohibitive cost of SSDs back then, it shouldn't come as a surprise they were not used in the current gen of consoles, which were released in 2013. A seven-year lifespan usually results in the technology becoming pretty much obsolete within a few years, especially compared to gaming PCs which are customizable across the board (no pun intended). Consoles are relatively restricted by comparison. Although, upgrading to a SSD in a PS4 or Xbox One has been possible since their respective launches.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 20, 2020, 12:02:06 PM
Considering the prohibitive cost of SSDs back then, it shouldn't come as a surprise they were not used in the current gen of consoles, which were released in 2013. A seven-year lifespan usually results in the technology becoming pretty much obsolete within a few years, especially compared to gaming PCs which are customizable across the board (no pun intended). Consoles are relatively restricted by comparison. Although, upgrading to a SSD in a PS4 or Xbox One has been possible since their respective launches.

Fair. I'm pretty sure my 1 gig SSD was almost 700 bucks back then.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on March 20, 2020, 12:27:33 PM
Fair. I'm pretty sure my 1 gig SSD was almost 700 bucks back then.

Exactly. Sticking with more "mainstream" tech helped keep costs down*. I toyed with the idea of upgrading my PS4 with one but it didn't make sense cost-wise and I just wound up going with a 2TB HDD instead.

I'm looking forward to SSD technology finally making its debut on consoles. It'll help a lot when one considers the sheer size of video games these days

* Sony really took it on the chin with the PS3 when they went with the highest end available Blu-ray drive back in 2006
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

Comparison of specs/features between the two beasts slated to release at the end of 2020: https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-ps5-vs-microsoft-xbox-series-x-battle-of-the-beastie-boxes/
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

Always good to see console specs catch up a bit. Near the end of every console generation you've got technology available for PC's that can outperform the hell out of them, but developers generally aren't going to make use of it if they can't do the same in their console versions.

blue_gold_84

Well, it's been five days since I fired up FFVII Remake and it's essentially everything I had hoped it to be. It's a masterpiece and if you played and enjoyed the original game, you'll love this reimagined version.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

Anyone here still gaming? Didn't realize this thread has been quiet for so long.

Got Last of Us Part I (essentially a remake) and FFVII Crisis Core Reunion for Christmas and they're both pretty fun from a nostalgic standpoint. The story in TLOU is such an experience, so it's been great to revisit that with improved visuals and gameplay on the PS5. The latter has been particularly nostalgic, as I haven't played it in over 15 years ago when the original was on PSP.
Neither game really takes advantage of the console's hardware but they're both great games all the same.

Gran Turismo 7 has its issues but it plays so well and looks amazing and really shows off the technological prowess of the PS5. The haptic feedback with the DualSense controller while racing is pretty incredible.

I beat Stray last month, which was a pleasantly surprising title for its originality and enjoyment. A solid title for gamers of all ages.

I'm really looking forward to Like a Dragon Ishin and Final Fantasy VXI.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

FFXVI demo dropped on PS5 yesterday. Progress can be saved and applied to launch next week.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 13, 2023, 01:06:45 PM
FFXVI demo dropped on PS5 yesterday. Progress can be saved and applied to launch next week.

This game is awesome. ;D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

Less than six weeks to go. So stoked!
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

Anyone catch State of Play yesterday?

https://www.polygon.com/2024/1/31/24057143/playstation-sony-state-of-play-ps5-showcase-announcements-trailers

Some really good content on the horizon this year. SH2 Remake and Rise of The Ronin look epic.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.