NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

From what I can figure out, the "trade deadline" only applies to players moving teams AND being eligible for the playoffs. 

As Montreal is out of the playoffs anyway, if LA wanted to, no reason they can't trade PLD today to MTL, he just can't play for them this year.

Would you want to trade a serviceable piece before you start the playoffs?  Even if he's only your 4th line C at the moment?  Of course not.  But as soon as they are eliminated, and before 2024-25 starts, they can move him. 

Would MTL want him?  There's no denying his ability.  Will "home cooking" make a big change in his play?  They'd have to think so.

So, what does the trade look like?  PLD + a 2nd round pick, retaining $2.5mil/year of contract for a 3rd round pick?  Or does MTL have a spare piece with salary attached to dump back offsetting a few years of the retained salary?

Going into next season with PLD and his contract on the books means a world of issues for them. 

Although, in retrospect, a NMC can be waived, and I am sure PLD would do so to go home... right now, the Kings have that control, once the new contract year starts, PLD has all the control.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.