MOP Candidates

Started by Jesse, October 25, 2024, 05:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Cool Spot on October 25, 2024, 08:49:30 PMIn the west, it's Brady Oliveira vs Bo Levi Mitchell in the east. Of the two, I think BLM is a better pick because his #'s are head-and-shoulders better than other QB's, whereas I don't think I can say the same as Oliveira. The one caveat is that Oliveria is critical to the success of the Bombers, but I guess BLM is to the TiCats as well.

Before HAM started winning, they were stinky and BLM got many many huge stats in garbage time of lost games when D's were in prevent.  LOTS of stats.

If you don't lead your team to wins, what do the stats matter?

BLM only found his mojo when it was too late and the season was mostly lost.  Should that count for much?

Also, why award MOP to a guy who barely held onto his job going into '24?  Most people wanted him gone.  He may not even be around to start '25 because many don't think he has what it takes to win cups anymore.  Who awards MOP for that?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on October 25, 2024, 10:39:27 PMwhat do the asterisks mean??

Unanimous decision.  No one voted for anyone else.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

If Brady doesn't get it in the West, I'd give it to Begelton.  CGY would have been even more doomed without him.  Best talent and heart player on that team.  Any of the young players arguing with him about how the game should be played need to (metaphorically) smacked upside the head.  If they had a team full of Begeltons, they'd be fighting for first.
Never go full Rider!

gobombersgo

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 25, 2024, 11:07:17 PMBefore HAM started winning, they were stinky and BLM got many many huge stats in garbage time of lost games when D's were in prevent.  LOTS of stats.

BLM only found his mojo when it was too late and the season was mostly lost.  Should that count for much?

Also, why award MOP to a guy who barely held onto his job going into '24?  Most people wanted him gone.  He may not even be around to start '25 because many don't think he has what it takes to win cups anymore.  Who awards MOP for that?

Some people say that win-loss records aren't a quarterback stat.

I disagree but I dont get a vote.

dd

Quote from: Cool Spot on October 25, 2024, 08:49:30 PMI did some quick math on who has won the CFL MOP over the last 70 years:

- QB, 42 (60%)
- RB, 16 (23%)
- WR, 7 (10%)
- SB, 2 (3%)
- TE, 1 (1.4%)
- LB, 1 (1.4%)
- DB, 1 (1.4%)

So, based on this, there's a >95% chance it'll be a player on offense. The most likely candidates are QB and RB, as while the WR #'s this year are impressive, I'm not sure they're as outstanding as Brandon Banks in 2019, Chad Owens in 2012, Geroy Simon in 2006, or Milt Stegall in 2002.

That leaves RB vs QB.

In the west, it's Brady Oliveira vs Bo Levi Mitchell in the east. Of the two, I think BLM is a better pick because his #'s are head-and-shoulders better than other QB's, whereas I don't think I can say the same as Oliveira. The one caveat is that Oliveria is critical to the success of the Bombers, but I guess BLM is to the TiCats as well.
BLM plays on the worst team in the league, he's had no success. And I'd be interested in how many yards BLM put up against the Wpg's, Montreal and Sask's of the league vs the Stampeders and Redblacks, I think his numbers and inflated/were racked up in meaningless games. He doesn't strike me as an MOP candidate, he was lucky just to start this year.

The 2 defensive nominee's I think merit getting the award, both Bev and Milligan, would be nice if they were the East and West finalists, as really, there isn't any eye popping stats from the offensive guys.

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 25, 2024, 11:07:17 PMBefore HAM started winning, they were stinky and BLM got many many huge stats in garbage time of lost games when D's were in prevent.  LOTS of stats.

For all those swayed by the stats, there should be a 'garbage time' stat and they'd see BLM feasted on games that didn't really matter. He is no MOP and it would be a crime if he gets it

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on Today at 01:10:21 AMFor all those swayed by the stats, there should be a 'garbage time' stat and they'd see BLM feasted on games that didn't really matter. He is no MOP and it would be a crime if he gets it

There should 100% be a garbage time stat break-out.  I wonder if Junkie or PFF keep track of that.

If you're always down 21 by mid 3rd Q, then every stat by an O should have an asterisk on it.  It's easy to get unlimited 8 yard completions when the D is 20Y back.
Never go full Rider!

RebusRankin

Milligan doesn't play on an outstanding defense and Saskatchewan is among the worst teams in the CFL in passing yards. 8 picks is nice but hey Houston had 7 last season and Gainey had 10 in 2017 and neither was even West DPOY. Brady is leading the league in rushing, has over 1700 yards from scrimmage and has been the absolute engine of our team and a key in our teams success. Take Brady off of Winnipeg and how many games do the Bombers win. Now take Milligan off the Riders and how many fewer games do they win?