Als at Argos GDT Sat 6:00PM CT

Started by gobombersgo, September 27, 2024, 07:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Carey doing his best '18-'21 AH33 impression: lid coming off every other play.

Normally it's a nothingburger, but this game command actually spotted his progress like 5Y back to the point his lid came off!!  That directly hurts your team.  Tighten those straps.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on September 29, 2024, 01:13:31 AMThey don't look so great vs Toronto tonight. The score flatters them, they've sucked most of the night except for the punt return. Fajardo is hardly MOP material based on tonights performance!! They look totally beatable

They don't need to look great: they have 1st locked.  They need to stay warm and not get hurt, that's it.

I wonder if MTL is looking at the standings and doing a little "kingmaking"... they can directly influence who gets what of the other 3 home playoff spots!  They may directly determine who gets 1st in W because they'll play both WPG and SSK down the stretch.  Go hard on one, easy on the other, etc.

They also may or may not want TOR to make the playoffs.  There were a few plays that looked like MTL was throwing it intentionally...

A TOR win may eliminate HAM and a resurgent BLM.  That might prove advantageous for MTL.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 29, 2024, 08:18:07 AMThey may directly determine who gets 1st in W because they'll play both WPG and SSK down the stretch. 
Unless I'm mistaken one more Bomber win and we clinch 1st place.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on September 29, 2024, 08:35:50 AMUnless I'm mistaken one more Bomber win and we clinch 1st place.

Nope, we need 2 if SSK wins all 3, because SSK has the extra tie point.  (Our season series with them doesn't factor in unless they tie again this season.)

This will probably go down to the wire and MTL can toy with both SSK and WPG in the final weeks.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: J5V on September 29, 2024, 02:27:54 AMWell, 11-2 (11-3 now) is a pretty good record after 13-14 games. This loss to the Argos is their first road game loss this year but I suspect that clinching first place earlier today likely affected their intensity in this game. The Argos needed the game much more than the Als did.

It's going to be tough for Toronto or Ottawa to go into Montreal and beat a rested Als team in the EF. They have a pretty good chance of playing in the Grey Cup again this year.

I think it's more a case of Montreal being slightly above average at a time when the rest of the league is very inconsistent.

Kind of like when we just steam-rolled through the league in 2021.

Not all years are created equal.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: J5V on September 29, 2024, 08:35:50 AMUnless I'm mistaken one more Bomber win and we clinch 1st place.

One win and a Riders loss will do it. I'm pretty certain they're not going to win 5 in and row. They've essentially got Edmonton in Edmonton in a win or get eliminated scenario for the Elks and then they've got BC Lions at home which is essentially another playoff game. They round it out against the Stamps, and yeah, they'll win that one.

We've got Hamilton on the road which will be a tough game and then we've got a home game against the Argos and a game which will mean nothing to Montreal on the road.

Anything can happen but the chances are very good.

dd

Quote from: Jesse on September 29, 2024, 02:02:06 PMI think it's more a case of Montreal being slightly above average at a time when the rest of the league is very inconsistent.

Kind of like when we just steam-rolled through the league in 2021.

Not all years are created equal.
Agree.Montreal got off to a hot start while others (like us) struggled. Now we've hit our groove and Montreal looks totally beatable--yes, they have injuries to Philipot and others, but heck, we went through that and every team goes through that. I am thinking Toronto upsets them this year and makes it to the GC

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on September 29, 2024, 05:20:37 PMAgree.Montreal got off to a hot start while others (like us) struggled. Now we've hit our groove and Montreal looks totally beatable--yes, they have injuries to Philipot and others, but heck, we went through that and every team goes through that. I am thinking Toronto upsets them this year and makes it to the GC

I wouldn't write the Als off they can still play some very good football, the season is long and has it's ebbs and flows, hard to maintain an excellent performance throughout, the same was true for the Bombers the last few seasons.

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 29, 2024, 10:19:59 AMNope, we need 2 if SSK wins all 3, because SSK has the extra tie point.  (Our season series with them doesn't factor in unless they tie again this season.)

This will probably go down to the wire and MTL can toy with both SSK and WPG in the final weeks.
Yes you're right. My bad. Thanks for pointing that out.

The Riders have Elks, Lions, Stamps left. We have Cats, Argos, Als. We have the tougher string of games, all against the East. Riders games are all against the West.

If we win one more game of the three remaining, Riders will have to run the table to take first away from us. If we win 2 of 3 or win, tie, loss, we clinch. IOW, we need 3 points to clinch. If Riders lose a game we need 1 point to clinch. If Riders lose 2, we clinch.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 29, 2024, 02:08:28 PMOne win and a Riders loss will do it.

Quote from: J5V on September 29, 2024, 06:21:30 PMIf we win one more game of the three remaining, Riders will have to run the table to take first away from us.

Yes.  I think we win all 3, or at worst 2.  But even 1 win is enough if Riders can't win 'em all.  The way Riders have been playing, every game is a toss up, not a blowout, so it seems unlikely they luck into 3 wins.  Even their fans seem resigned they won't get the home WDF.

We'll see what the standings look like just before they face BC so we can decide who to root for.  We'll also have to decide who we'd rather face in a WDF.  Beating SSK is always fun and great for destroying Greenie morale... but a loss would put the egg on our face for a year.

After blowing up the SMS rules, I don't see how BC fails to make it to at least the WDF.  Maybe they should bring in more high-priced couch sitters!   :P  :P  :P
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on September 29, 2024, 05:20:37 PMAgree.Montreal got off to a hot start while others (like us) struggled. Now we've hit our groove and Montreal looks totally beatable--yes, they have injuries to Philipot and others, but heck, we went through that and every team goes through that. I am thinking Toronto upsets them this year and makes it to the GC

It's beautiful no matter what happens: either we get revenge on MTL for '23 or TOR for '22.  Our boys won't let either steal another cup from them.  Not a 3rd time.
Never go full Rider!