CJOB - Bombers Winter Special

Started by Waffler, February 27, 2024, 02:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on February 28, 2024, 07:52:39 PMI've heard DT say this before, but even a quick check proves it's not true at all.

I don't know.  DT is supposedly the numbers geek, and I'm guessing he did his homework here?  Why put his rep on the line to spout nonsense?

And it jives with what we all here said and could feel: Jeffcoat is pivotal in making Willie better, because teams don't know who to double-team.

You may have to list actual games that contradict DT to win the argument.  Or StatsJunkie probably has something for us...

And in the end, surely if it's not zero, it is much reduced, so the point kinda remains.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Definitely a player you want in your lineup when he's healthy. JJ only played 78 of 104 regular season games over 6 years. Last season 14 games, 21 DTs, 8 sacks. Unfortunately he just couldn't stay healthy.   
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on February 28, 2024, 10:28:26 PMDefinitely a player you want in your lineup when he's healthy. JJ only played 78 of 104 regular season games over 6 years. Last season 14 games, 21 DTs, 8 sacks. Unfortunately he just couldn't stay healthy

It's too bad the CFL/SMS doesn't have a provision for players like this.  Guys who are literally top tier but are too fragile to play every game.  If there was some weird separate tiny roster where you get better SMS relief for missed games, and AR guarantees while being on a PR/IR-type roster, then perhaps players like Jeffcoat could continue to play and contribute?

Assuming he stays around his current talent level, what team wouldn't want that guy on their team come post-season time?  Literally the only knock on the guy is he gets hurt a lot.  If I'm JJ, I'd stay in shape, as he'd be the perfect couch-pickup later in the season for any team.

If the league wants to extend the careers of aging IMPs, such a thing would seem ideal.  Better than the 23-snaps waste of time.  Call it the "glass roster".  Throw Loffler on it while you're at it.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 29, 2024, 12:44:57 AMIt's too bad the CFL/SMS doesn't have a provision for players like this.  Guys who are literally top tier but are too fragile to play every game.  If there was some weird separate tiny roster where you get better SMS relief for missed games, and AR guarantees while being on a PR/IR-type roster, then perhaps players like Jeffcoat could continue to play and contribute?

Assuming he stays around his current talent level, what team wouldn't want that guy on their team come post-season time?  Literally the only knock on the guy is he gets hurt a lot.  If I'm JJ, I'd stay in shape, as he'd be the perfect couch-pickup later in the season for any team.

If the league wants to extend the careers of aging IMPs, such a thing would seem ideal.  Better than the 23-snaps waste of time.  Call it the "glass roster".  Throw Loffler on it while you're at it.

Half of the Esks and Stamps would be on the "glass roster"...  any way to subvert the $SMS...

Maybe a "Senior Man Clause" would be more suitable.  A player with 3 or more years service on the same team and 6 or more years of professional ball can be rostered but not subject to the 6 game IR rule or the game cheque rule.  Any games missed would have 1/18th of the contract value forgiven from the SMS. 

One player per team.  Lets you hang onto a guy like Jeffcoat.  Or Muamba.  Or Burnham.  Or even a Harris (Andrew or Trevor) for one more year.  Guys that might spend a lot of time in the tub that year but are valuable on the sideline and in the locker and film rooms.   
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 28, 2024, 10:19:24 PMI don't know.  DT is supposedly the numbers geek, and I'm guessing he did his homework here?  Why put his rep on the line to spout nonsense?

And it jives with what we all here said and could feel: Jeffcoat is pivotal in making Willie better, because teams don't know who to double-team.

You may have to list actual games that contradict DT to win the argument.  Or StatsJunkie probably has something for us...

And in the end, surely if it's not zero, it is much reduced, so the point kinda remains.

Literally the first game I checked. Week 1 this past season. Jeffcoat was out, Willie got 2 sacks (and a forced fumble).

Week 5: No Jeffcoat, Willie got 2 more sacks.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 29, 2024, 12:44:57 AMIt's too bad the CFL/SMS doesn't have a provision for players like this.  Guys who are literally top tier but are too fragile to play every game.  If there was some weird separate tiny roster where you get better SMS relief for missed games, and AR guarantees while being on a PR/IR-type roster, then perhaps players like Jeffcoat could continue to play and contribute?

Jeffcoat would have been a perfect candidate for the "Fake Natl" designation, it would have reduced his reps. and perhaps help maintain his health.  As for coming back later in the season, he made it pretty clear in that interview he has no intentions of doing so, his plan is to quit training and drop weight.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on February 29, 2024, 01:46:47 AMLiterally the first game I checked. Week 1 this past season. Jeffcoat was out, Willie got 2 sacks (and a forced fumble).

Week 5: No Jeffcoat, Willie got 2 more sacks.

I'll take your word for it... I recently watched week 1 and don't remember anyone but Haba getting sacks, but you're probably right.  I'm used to Willie being awesome that sometimes I don't make a mental note of it.

Since apparently WFC reads some of these, someone get the word to DT that he needs to do a mea culpa in his next pre-season special!  ;D  Tsk tsk DT!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 29, 2024, 02:05:19 AMJeffcoat would have been a perfect candidate for the "Fake Natl" designation, it would have reduced his reps. and perhaps help maintain his health.

It does seem that way, nearly ideal in fact, but that leaves out the most important variable, from WFC point of view: we can't afford the SMS hit.  For the FAKENAT/VETIMP (DNA) guy to be truly valuable, something has to hang outside the SMS umbrella.

Aards has the right idea.  SMS only counts when he's playing, yet we pay him his normal salary each week.  Money doesn't matter (for WFC), it's the SMS hit that matters.  Or make a straight up SMS shield for 1 designated aging vet player (5+ seasons?), maybe like you can pay them up to double ELC but only the ELC counts towards the SMS.

We could have kept Jeffcoat under those conditions.  He'd have accepted $150k real salary, and WFC would have accepted a $80k SMS hit.  Boom, problem solved.

Oh well, I'll be in the corner, and I'll keep dreaming.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Handled Internally S5 EP2: Dalton Schoen

Great interview, well worth listening to.