Black History Month

Started by Stats Junkie, February 02, 2024, 09:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stats Junkie

QuoteDuring Black History Month this February, we salute some of the black players who have played significant roles in the Blue Bombers' long history.
The first article posted by Ed Tait & the Winnipeg Blue Bombers is about two way halfback & punter Tom Casey

Tom Casey

A few items to add about Tom Casey:

Although individual stats coincided with the start of his time with the Blue Bombers (1950), stats for interceptions were not collected until 1952. Based on my research, via newspapers, Casey had at least 11 interceptions in 1950 & 1 in 1951. Those picks would give Casey at least 35 in his career which 'unofficially' ranks him second behind Rod Hill (47).

Steve Daniel thought he had individual interception stats for 1950 but when we checked his database it turned out that he only had details for interceptions returned for a TD.

Oct 20, 1951 - Tom Casey had a 99 yard run for a TD. It was the longest run ever recorded at Osborne Stadium. The field at Osborne Stadium was 100 yards between the goal lines.

1952 was a remarkable year for Casey. In the 2nd game of the season, Casey was injured while holding for a field goal attempt. John Brown's snap was off target and Casey was drilled as he retrieved the ball. He missed the remainder of the game as well as the next five games.

During the final 9 games of the season, Casey scored all 16 of his TDs and recorded all 7 of his interceptions. Casey scored TDs 4 different ways, rush, pass, KO return, interception. He scored 3 different ways on Oct. 11, 1952, run, pass & interception.

1952 was the last time the WIFU awarded first team & second team all-stars. If the WIFU had awarded all-stars for offence & defence, Casey would certainly have been a two way all-star that season.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

Stats Junkie

Earlier today it was announced that former Blue Bombers QB Chuck Ealey will be inducted into the National High School Football Hall of Fame.

Chuck Ealey to HS HOF

What makes this induction special is that he will be part of the second class to be inducted into the HOF.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Stats Junkie on February 02, 2024, 09:42:09 PMEarlier today it was announced that former Blue Bombers QB Chuck Ealey will be inducted into the National High School Football Hall of Fame.

Chuck Ealey to HS HOF

What makes this induction special is that he will be part of the second class to be inducted into the HOF.

Found this documentary on Chuck Ealey last year, called the Stone Thrower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmL1EvtQy3E

It appears one of his daughters also turned his story into a children's book.

Lincoln Locomotive

The strength of character this man displayed is truly remarkable despite all the obstacles he had to overcome....which he accomplished with steadfast grace and poise.   A true leader of men while maintaining his humility throughout his entire career and life.
Thanks for posting this truly remarkable story....greatly appreciated!
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on February 03, 2024, 02:27:24 PMThe strength of character this man displayed is truly remarkable despite all the obstacles he had to overcome....which he accomplished with steadfast grace and poise.   A true leader of men while maintaining his humility throughout his entire career and life.
Thanks for posting this truly remarkable story....greatly appreciated!

LOL, I thought you were referring to Jake!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 03, 2024, 05:25:03 PMLOL, I thought you were referring to Jake!
I should have quoted you first before replying....this was really an interesting post and the fact that he overcame the abject racism and poverty he grew up with was so apparent.   The fact that after being a star in Toledo and wasn't even selected for the draft speaks volumes.   He was born a year before me so we grew up around the same time period.   I went down to work in the States in 1969 and saw for myself how racist the States were so this story really brought that back to my consciousness.   He joined the Cats in 1970 and as a rookie won the GC for them....tells you so much about his leadership and athletic ability!
Bomber fan for life

Lincoln Locomotive

He was undefeated as a QB in both high school and the NCAA....the only person in the history of NCAA football to ever to do this!    And STILL, he was unselected in the NFL draft!?   

He was a man of great integrity and courage and it was fortunate that Ralph Sazio of the Hamilton Ticats gave him a shot.....and what did he do?   He won the Grey Cup in his rookie season no less, beating the Riders and " The Little General" Ron Lancaster in the Grey Cup!!

Despite  his unbelievable 35-0 record, he wasn't inducted into the NCAA Hall of Fame until only very recently?!   Tells you something about the hubris that exists in organized sports and institutions!   

Take the time to watch these two videos,   Chuck and his entire family still lives in and around Brampton, Ontario.   It's a fascinating story about a fascinating human being!

https://youtu.be/DKIWYoz-jts?si=zziLKG8_2vsQRKLm

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/chuck-ealey-college-football-hall-of-fame-1.6310274
Bomber fan for life

Stats Junkie

Story of Willie Thrower, the first black QB in the "modern" NFL.

Willie Thrower video & article

Thrower was also the first black QB signed by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on March 15, 1954. He was among the first players cut from training camp, July 22, 1954.

Thrower was later signed by Toronto Balmy Beach (ORFU) and played a few games.

Another black QB by the name of Vince Drake made the Blue Bombers in 1954, backing up Jack Jacobs for the first game of the regular season.

Drake's biggest moment as a Bomber came in a pre-season game, August 13, 1954 - he threw a TD pass to Bud Grant.

Stats Junkie

Story about Tyrone Jones by Taylor Allen - Winnipeg Free Press

The Mouth That Roared

Stats Junkie

Stats Junkie

dd

Quote from: Stats Junkie on February 27, 2024, 09:08:14 PMEd Tait story on Rod Hill

Black History Month Feature: Rod Hill
Hands down the best shut down corner to ever wear Blue and Gold!! And could block field goals like nobody else too!!

Stats Junkie

Ed Tait feature on Ed Ulmer

Black History Month Feature: Ed Ulmer

I never had the opportunity to watch Ed Ulmer play, but from snippets I've read, Ulmer got some height on his punts.

ModAdmin

Ulmer was an excellent punter and a superb DB.  It would be interesting to know how many players, and who, stayed on to live in the 'Peg following their careers.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden