Buck Pierce

Started by bwiser, August 28, 2022, 12:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 29, 2022, 01:21:36 AM
Yes true, but also don't forget that Buck has had Collaros and LaPolice mostly had Nichols. Bit of a difference.

Systems seem different, too. Pierce likes to stretch the field more and doesn't play as risk-allergic as LaPolice, IMO.

That said, I don't know if Pierce is HC material just yet - regardless of what the 2022 Blue Bombers accomplish.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 29, 2022, 03:35:20 PM
Systems seem different, too. Pierce likes to stretch the field more and doesn't play as risk-allergic as LaPolice, IMO.

That said, I don't know if Pierce is HC material just yet - regardless of what the 2022 Blue Bombers accomplish.

I don't see Buck being good HC material, it would take time away from the job he does best and leave him mostly in a team leadership role.  Not many HC's can handle a coordinator job well at the same time, it usually leads to a poor record and an eventual dismissal.  Buck should be pretty happy his current position, sitting on top of the heap with 2 GC rings, more or less fell onto his lap.  Most coordinators have to start at the bottom of a disaster and work their way up.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 29, 2022, 04:00:10 PM
I don't see Buck being good HC material, it would take time away from the job he does best and leave him mostly in a team leadership role.  Not many HC's can handle a coordinator job well at the same time, it usually leads to a poor record and an eventual dismissal.  Buck should be pretty happy his current position, sitting on top of the heap with 2 GC rings, more or less fell onto his lap.  Most coordinators have to start at the bottom of a disaster and work their way up.

I disagree.  HC is a leadership, not X's and O's position. Buck has been doing good, having learned from some of the best, in creating his X's ans O's, and was gifted a very talented Oline and QB, and some great RB and REC talent. 

But don't sell his leadership abilities short.  I think on heart alone, he could be an effective HC.  Not sure if Lapo is suffering right now from too many hats syndrome, or if he is getting bogged down in micromanaging, which is fine for an OC to do, but death for a HC.  I'm not sure that Buck cannot make that change easily.  He, like Osh, was a warrior on the field, and no player could ever doubt his commitment as a player, and would be inspired to play for him.

That said, I think he has found a nice spot here, and wish that he stays as part of this group.  It will be tempting when other teams come knocking, but he just need to look Ottawa's way to see what "leaving a good thing" looks like.  Sure, Lapo gets a couple years of higher pay, but are those year any fun?  And what happens after...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.