Roster Player Categories

Started by Blue In BC, May 29, 2023, 08:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 29, 2023, 06:46:53 PM
I will try my luck at some guesses (ps you forgot Marc Legghio, I thought he was a lock?!!):

18 Anthony Bennett
19 Cameron Lawson
20 Jake Kelly
21 Konnor Burtenshaw
22 Liam Dobson (see note below)

It would be better, and I'm sure the Bombers preference, if only one of Eli/Kolankowski is on the game day. Although the snapping in game left something to be desired from that plan in pre-season game 1.

I left Liegghio out just for arguments sake and to further show how many good Canadian players we have. Realistically I think your # 21 and # 22 may not be on the game day roster barring injury.

Can't see Dobson on the AR ahead of either Eli or Kolankowski.

Burtenshaw has potential but he was on the game day roster for 10 games in 2022 with no offensive stats. We don't use a FB that often so perhaps a 5th Canadian OL ( Dobson ) is used as a TE extra blocker?  IIRC it was Dobson that had those bad snaps?

Not sure why you'd bump one of the other 2 OL in favour of Dobson. Nothing against him I don't think he's passed either on the depth chart.

We would only have 21 Canadians on the roster, if

1. 17 starting imports which includes an import Q
2. 2 back up import QB's
3. 4 import DI's
4. 2 global players
5. 21 Canadians

That equals 46 total game day roster.

Now we could leave O-Leary Orange off the game day roster depending on who one of the DI's turns out to be. Scenario: Agudosi is the starter and Bailey is bumped to a DI as a Nationalized American. In theory that would provide possible receiver depth even for the Canadians.

Do I think that happens? Not really.

Too bad the CFL couldn't afford to increase roster size in the new CBA by 2 more Canadians.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Blue... we are required to have 21 Canadians on the game day roster. The game day roster is 45.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 29, 2023, 09:11:30 PM
Blue... we are required to have 21 Canadians on the game day roster. The game day roster is 45.

I think that was until 2022 when we added back the 3rd QB. My list adds up to 46. Where is it incorrect?

1. 17 starting imports which includes an import QB
2. 2 back up import QB's
3. 4 import DI's
4. 2 global players
5. 21 Canadians
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 29, 2023, 09:27:55 PM
I think that was until 2022 when we added back the 3rd QB. My list adds up to 46. Where is it incorrect?

1. 17 starting imports which includes an import Q
2. 2 back up import QB's
3. 4 import DI's
4. 2 global players
5. 21 Canadians

Minimum of 21 Canadians
Maximum of 20 Americans (of which 4 can be DIs)
At least 2 and a maximum of 3 designated quarterbacks (they can rotate as much as they want for each other. You may only have 2 designated QBs on the field at a time)
not 100% on this (see below) Minimum of 1 Global

The only thing I am not sure of is the implementation of the global rule as it has changed over time. I am also not sure what the ramifications are if you dress 3 quarterbacks this year. You may be able to drop a global like last year or something different. I don't believe it's a straight add, but if it is, then it probably goes back to 2 minimum globals but that's just a guess. Most of last year we dressed 3 quarterbacks and one global, for a total of 45, for example.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 29, 2023, 09:44:53 PM
Minimum of 21 Canadians
Maximum of 20 Americans (of which 4 can be DIs)
At least 2 and a maximum of 3 designated quarterbacks (they can rotate as much as they want for each other. You may only have 2 designated QBs on the field at a time)
not 100% on this (see below) Minimum of 1 Global

The only thing I am not sure of is the implementation of the global rule as it has changed over time. I am also not sure what the ramifications are if you dress 3 quarterbacks this year. You may be able to drop a global like last year or something different. I don't believe it's a straight add, but if it is, then it probably goes back to 2 minimum globals but that's just a guess. Most of last year we dressed 3 quarterbacks and one global, for a total of 45, for example.

Hmmm. Yes the rule for globals has been changing since implementation. I thought we had 2 when we eliminated the # 3 QB. Then last year we went back to 3 QB's we were down to 1 some of the time.  Everything I've read across the league is teams plan on 3 QB's on the game day roster.

This year I thought the global count was 2 again. I also thought we could have 2 global and 3 import QB's at the cost of eliminating 1 Canadian in 2022.

Prior to global additions roster size was 46 but 1 couldn't dress.

Regardless, if we only have 1 global in 2023 that creates another big challenge especially with Hansen injured.

I thought it was bad when you suggested a global punter and thought he'd be 1 of 2 in total. Now he'd have to be 1 or 1????  Yikes. I was expecting both Maruo and Karamoko to be the 2 until Hansen returns. I was not in favour of a global punter in a 1 of 2 situation. In a 1 of 1 I'm even less in favour of that idea.

Check out the early game depth charts in 2022 and you'll see we show Hansen and Maruo but also have 3 QB's on the game day roster. nearly every regular season game that had 2 global players they were on the defensive side of the roster. The exception was the game against the Lions where back ups were playing and they added Machino.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

pdirks67

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 29, 2023, 10:31:54 PM
Hmmm. Yes the rule for globals has been changing since implementation. I thought we had 2 when we eliminated the # 3 QB. Then last year we went back to 3 QB's we were down to 1 some of the time.  Everything I've read across the league is teams plan on 3 QB's on the game day roster.

This year I thought the global count was 2 again. I also thought we could have 2 global and 3 import QB's at the cost of eliminating 1 Canadian in 2022.

Prior to global additions roster size was 46 but 1 couldn't dress.

Regardless, if we only have 1 global in 2023 that creates another big challenge especially with Hansen injured.

I thought it was bad when you suggested a global punter and thought he'd be 1 of 2 in total. Now he'd have to be 1 or 1????  Yikes. I was expecting both Maruo and Karamoko to be the 2 until Hansen returns. I was not in favour of a global punter in a 1 of 2 situation. In a 1 of 1 I'm even less in favour of that idea.

Check out the early game depth charts in 2022 and you'll see we show Hansen and Maruo but also have 3 QB's on the game day roster. nearly every regular season game that had 2 global players they were on the defensive side of the roster. The exception was the game against the Lions where back ups were playing and they added Machino.

From the CFL website (EDIT: Shouldn't there be something here about Nationalized Americans??):

Of the 46 players named to the roster, each team may dress an active roster of 45 players, broken down as follows:

Maximum of 2 QBs (no designation)
Maximum of 20 American players (4 of which must be identified as designated Americans)
Minimum of 21 National players
Minimum of 2 Global players
The four designated American players are players who can play on special teams OR replace an American starter (they cannot start).

Of the 24 starters on a team, a minimum of seven starters will be nationals players. When applied to a starting roster of a team it breaks down as follows (when using the minimum number of national players):

1 QB
16 American players
7 starting national players
The following Players shall be classified as National Players (formerly non-import):
(a)    Canadian citizens at the time of signing of the Player?s first contract;
(b)    A Player classified as a non-import prior to May 31st, 2014;  OR
(c)    A Player who was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of five (5) years prior to attaining the age of eighteen (18) years.

https://www.cfl.ca/game-rule-ratio/

Pete

I still am unsure how the third qb fits in

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: pdirks67 on May 29, 2023, 11:19:27 PM
From the CFL website (EDIT: Shouldn't there be something here about Nationalized Americans??):

Of the 46 players named to the roster, each team may dress an active roster of 45 players, broken down as follows:

Maximum of 20 American players (4 of which must be identified as designated Americans)
The four designated American players are players who can play on special teams OR replace an American starter (they cannot start).

Of the 24 starters on a team, a minimum of seven starters will be nationals players. When applied to a starting roster of a team it breaks down as follows (when using the minimum number of national players):

1 QB
16 American players
The following Players shall be classified as National Players (formerly non-import):
(c)    A Player who was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of five (5) years prior to attaining the age of eighteen (18) years.

That webpage is quite old and was out of date even last year as we dressed 3 QBs and 1 global all season.

Blue In BC

Quote from: pdirks67 on May 29, 2023, 11:19:27 PM

1 QB
16 American players

1. I thought we did away with the 46 player being non dressed. Actually I thought we dressed all 46 in 2022. Now I'm not sure if that is correct or whether we have 1 that doesn't dress for the game. Never understood why we'd pay a player full salary and not allow him to dress. Especially since that would have been a Canadian player. When we had 1 non dressed, it was reported as to who that player was, however, that stopped last year.

2. Yes, the whole Nationalized American could be made a lot clear. I've said all alone it would have to fall to one of the DI's since one of the actual starters isn't going to be reduced to 49% of snaps. Before finding out Grant was injured, I expected him to fit that bill. So back to another DI as the choice and we don't have too many that aren't starting that will end up as DI's.

3. We need a new string to continue this conversation if anybody wants to do so.

4. And yes, your web page is " old " but I can't find one that is more current. I take it to be incorrect currently. Contrary to the post above we did at times dress 2 global players until Hansen was injured.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 29, 2023, 08:43:58 PM
Can't see Dobson on the AR ahead of either Eli or Kolankowski.

Burtenshaw has potential but he was on the game day roster for 10 games in 2022 with no offensive stats. We don't use a FB that often so perhaps a 5th Canadian OL ( Dobson ) is used as a TE extra blocker?  IIRC it was Dobson that had those bad snaps?

Not sure why you'd bump one of the other 2 OL in favour of Dobson. Nothing against him I don't think he's passed either on the depth chart.

I think Eli has to earn his place on the roster in order to pass Dobson, not the other way around.

Though I guess we do need a back-up centre and Dobson clearly ain't him.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on May 30, 2023, 02:55:22 AM
I think Eli has to earn his place on the roster in order to pass Dobson, not the other way around.

Though I guess we do need a back-up centre and Dobson clearly ain't him.

Possibly.  I was thinking about that as well.  Dobson acquitted himself well as the 6th OL on run plays.  Then again, so did Eli a couple of years back.

Might we see a ping-pong between Dobson / Eli as to who dresses for the first few games before MOS/Buck decide on "the guy"?  Sounds like a good idea, but we've seen The Mafia pick "their guy" without such live-game tests before.  In any event, I expect it will be settled rapidly.

My gut says Eli will get dibs on the spot, and not just because I'm an Eli fan.  He was as good as Dobson in that role and has the seniority.  Dobson won't quit if moved to the PR.  He can wait his turn.

And I still want to see Eli get a pass attempt!  It's gonna happen!!
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Regarding Eli/Dobson, it will come down to whether Dobson can play centre a little bit. Dobson is the much better 6th OL choice because he can play guard and could probably even pinch hit at tackle if we needed him to. Eli is basically a centre (a good one, but he's limited elsewhere on the line).

Blue In BC

Deciding to roster a 5th Canadian OL on the AR is not out of the question. We have done that at times in the past.

Because our overall Canadian talent has improved so much, I don't think that is our 1st option plan.  It's not even our highest priority need. Many of the rookie draft choices could fill important roles on ST's.

I'd think an extra DB or DL would provide game day depth.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Canadian LB's:

Anyone have any perspective on how Charbonneau has looked in TC?  I don't think there is directly an open spot for another LB, but IIRC Briggs is nicked. So there might be a short term spot for him.

Has he been seeing reps at MLB or WIL or both?  I haven't heard much about him in TC reports. Any reps to LS as a back up?

The Blue Bombers selected Charbonneau in the eighth round, 71st overall, in the 2023 CFL Daft and then signed him to his first professional contract on May 5, 2023.
Charbonneau played four seasons with the GeeGees, seeing action in 28 games and recording 53.5 total tackles (38 solo, 31 assisted). His 2022 season was his best, as he appeared in six regular season games at middle linebacker, recording 17 total tackles (nine solo, 16 assisted) and adding one tackle for loss, a forced fumble, a pass breakup, and a blocked kick. In his two playoff starts in 2022, Charbonneau tallied 10.5 tackles, a sack, two tackles for loss, and a forced fumble.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 30, 2023, 01:28:51 PM
Canadian LB's:

Anyone have any perspective on how Charbonneau has looked in TC?  I don't think there is directly an open spot for another LB, but IIRC Briggs is nicked. So there might be a short term spot for him.

Has he been seeing reps at MLB or WIL?  I haven't heard much about him in TC reports. Any reps to LS as a back up?

...He was drafted in the 8th round. He has almost zero chance of doing anything.