Mock Drafts

Started by ModAdmin, March 14, 2024, 05:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

I wouldn't mind possibly drafting Hladik as possible future replacement for Benson. If he's any good as an ST player he might make the AR and see some work as a FB/TE player. Hard to say what the current plan is there regardless of whether to take a run at Hladik.

He's not listed in the top 20 so maybe he might fall in round 3 or 4? I don't know much about him aside from his brother in Vancouver. If he has that drive and athleticism he could be a CFL player.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

dizzycamper

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 17, 2024, 11:34:06 PMI wouldn't mind possibly drafting Hladik as possible future replacement for Benson. If he's any good as an ST player he might make the AR and see some work as a FB/TE player. Hard to say what the current plan is there regardless of whether to take a run at Hladik.

He's not listed in the top 20 so maybe he might fall in round 3 or 4? I don't know much about him aside from his brother in Vancouver. If he has that drive and athleticism he could be a CFL player.

Bombers Rd 3 pic, works just fine as I see it....

Blue In BC

Quote from: dizzycamper on April 18, 2024, 04:11:46 AMBombers Rd 3 pic, works just fine as I see it....

That's the overall pick # 28, so that might be a choice to make. I never know much about the players potentially going to be drafted. Just a bit when articles are posted. That said, we have a need for a player with that skill set.

Whether he's the best choice for that spot of LS and a FB, I don't really know. It will just be something to watch which team has an interest and in what round etc etc. Bombers may have other ideas for that role so seeing who they pick is always interesting.

Benson turns 37 before TC. Just noticed we have the same birthday but I'm literally twice his age. lol While he's probably capable of playing several more years, he may not want to, so having someone in the pipeline is something I'd expect to see this season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dizzycamper

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 18, 2024, 03:17:17 PMThat's the overall pick # 28, so that might be a choice to make. I never know much about the players potentially going to be drafted. Just a bit when articles are posted. That said, we have a need for a player with that skill set.

Whether he's the best choice for that spot of LS and a FB, I don't really know. It will just be something to watch which team has an interest and in what round etc etc. Bombers may have other ideas for that role so seeing who they pick is always interesting.

Benson turns 37 before TC. Just noticed we have the same birthday but I'm literally twice his age. lol While he's probably capable of playing several more years, he may not want to, so having someone in the pipeline is something I'd expect to see this season.

Some of the guys that do the mocks, besides the conversation on these sites are mentioning Chris-Ike out of Delaware as the choice. Chris-Ike combine numbers are very good and what he brings to the football field college wish need to taken into account, but overall for what the Bombers require, Brad Hladik would be a better "fit" in my opinion.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 18, 2024, 03:17:17 PMWhether he's the best choice for that spot of LS and a FB, I don't really know. It will just be something to watch which team has an interest and in what round etc etc. Bombers may have other ideas for that role so seeing who they pick is always interesting.

LS's are plentiful and cheap in FA because their careers can be very long.  Case in point, Benson & Rempel.  And unlike NAT kickers, most NAT LS are pretty darn good at their job.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 19, 2024, 04:45:29 AMLS's are plentiful and cheap in FA because their careers can be very long.  Case in point, Benson & Rempel.  And unlike NAT kickers, most NAT LS are pretty darn good at their job.

There are only 9 LS in the league. Yes we found ours in free agency but you can't count on a good one being available when you need one.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dizzycamper

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 19, 2024, 01:12:23 PMThere are only 9 LS in the league. Yes we found ours in free agency but you can't count on a good one being available when you need one.

Blue, one of the young LB's that we picked up last year, has a background as a snapper from his college days. Perhaps that area may not be such a concern.

Blue In BC

Quote from: dizzycamper on April 19, 2024, 03:29:06 PMBlue, one of the young LB's that we picked up last year, has a background as a snapper from his college days. Perhaps that area may not be such a concern.

Perhaps. The Bombers may have both short and long term plans. It's not unusual for a LB to be the LS and / or a FB type.

Are you talking about Charbonneau? Looking at his info he appears to have been a good MLB in university. Didn't see anything about LS duties but that would be a bonus. Could be the next Gauthier?

All we know for sure is that Benson is not getting any younger. Hladik could be a choice if they see fit and if he's available at the pick that we feel is a good decision.

IDK. If the player you mentioned wins the job at least as a back up for 2024, that's a bonus.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Rempel could have kept going a few more seasons.  I think we moved on because of him getting trucked (spurring the "Rempel rule") and maybe he didn't want to get beaten up any longer?

We certainly didn't win much on the age front, moving from Rempel to Benson bought us, what, 2-3 years younger age?  Kind of funny, actually, going from like 38 to 36 or something.  So age wasn't really the huge factor there.

And we had that other guy, the PED guy with the long hyphenated name, named after the President of Gallifrey, right?  We let him go.

I think for LS you want a guy who can just snap well without launching them high.  After that some athleticism or beef is gravy as then he can also be an effective 2nd-last redoubt against a TD return.  That said, I can't recall Rempel ever making a tackle, nor Benson.  Even the kickers make more tackles, it seems.

Again, I'm not worried at all at LS... when we need one, they'll be there.  Worst case is you hang onto Benson until one shows up, or heck I bet Rempel could still do it if we drag him out of the mothballs.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Chad Rempel retired at the age of 40. Which a testament to his fitness level, and the factory that he stayed healthy for most of his career. Mike Benson is another guy that works hard and has stayed pretty healthy over his career. Benson is also 6 years younger than Rempel. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on April 20, 2024, 12:12:00 PMChad Rempel retired at the age of 40. Which a testament to his fitness level, and the factory that he stayed healthy for most of his career. Mike Benson is another guy that works hard and has stayed pretty healthy over his career. Benson is also 6 years younger than Rempel. 

Benson could well play several more seasons. Like any veteran player it's a question as to when to call it quits. time with family and career post football come into play. Anybody know what that career if for Benson?

Some careers allow to do both with little impact. OTOH, I doubt he's making big $$ playing football.

I'm not expecting him to retire before TC but you can never tell. Logan Bandy retired in Regina and he's only 24.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dizzycamper

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 20, 2024, 04:03:33 PMBenson could well play several more seasons. Like any veteran player it's a question as to when to call it quits. time with family and career post football come into play. Anybody know what that career if for Benson?

Some careers allow to do both with little impact. OTOH, I doubt he's making big $$ playing football.

I'm not expecting him to retire before TC but you can never tell. Logan Bandy retired in Regina and he's only 24.

Yes retirements do happen prior to training camp, but as mentioned above I believe the Bombers have a player available besides Benson who could/would fit the position. Don't get me wrong, Hladiuk would be a valuable addition if available when we would pick.

Although, the D-Line needs of 1 end and tackle for rotation purposes needs to be addressed early in this draft, besides O-line and a receiver. That is four picks, would Hladiuk be available 3rd or 4th round will be the question?

Pigskin

Bomber Canadian DTs: Thomas (33) 6'2" 274. Schmekel (24) 6'1" 291. Lawson (25) 6'3" 281. Kornelson (24) 6'3" 240.

Bomber Canadian DEs: Bennett (27) 6'0" 235.

The Bombers have Kornelson listed as a DT and 24o lbs. Can't see him playing DT at 240 lbs.   
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on April 21, 2024, 08:56:10 PMBomber Canadian DTs: Thomas (33) 6'2" 274. Schmekel (24) 6'1" 291. Lawson (25) 6'3" 281. Kornelson (24) 6'3" 240.

Bomber Canadian DEs: Bennett (27) 6'0" 235.

The Bombers have Kornelson listed as a DT and 24o lbs. Can't see him playing DT at 240 lbs.   

I think their intention is to switch Kornelson to OG.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 22, 2024, 05:13:30 AMI think their intention is to switch Kornelson to OG.

Too light unless he was told to bulk up for TC. Somewhat the same as moving Adamson to OL last year. Either way it's a big move and we probably draft 2 OL in this draft.
2019 Grey Cup Champions