Streveler signed to one year deal - updated topic

Started by Norm W, January 12, 2024, 06:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 19, 2024, 06:23:52 PMI think some might be missing the bigger picture here. I want Brady and Schoen and all that too, but when talking about building a championship roster in the CFL, the QB position is paramount.

We've been spoiled by getting lucky that Collaros has been staying upright most of the time the past couple of years, and we were lucky that when we needed to call on an inexperienced Brown that he eventually performed and improved. We know more than most fanbases that this is not how it works the vast majority of the time.

Therefore, what is the value of being able to say: we have an all-star vet QB1 who is backed up by a unique, dynamic and engaging Grey Cup champion fresh off a 4 year NFL stint?

We all talk about depth at various positions and how it's a necessity for a deep run, so why are we writing off the most important position and satisfied by "Dakota Prukop + George McKinnley"?

Having a strong stable QB core is at least as important as an elite receiving group or Canadian superstar RB...

I also think we're not planning on outbidding other team's for Strev's services.

It seems like there is not a starting opportunity out there right now for him. His best bet will be to take a one year deal to remind everyone what he can do, and perhaps get an opportunity next season. Money aside, his best opportunity to get on the field and show his skill is probably here. We've shown that we'll use him regularly even with Collaros starting. His cult status in Winnipeg probably offers him some off field opportunities to make money as well.

All that said, I'm hoping Walters gets him on a two year deal.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on January 19, 2024, 05:17:29 PMI think we can get Prukop and a rookie for less that Streve alone, which then opens up a lot of money for Schoen/Olivera. 

Love Strevie, but I think we are better served with Prokup and hopefully the next Dru Brown.  Streveler is exciting, personable and has some very strong abilities, but I'm just not seeing the benefit overall that justifies what we assume his salary expectations are.

Now, if he's on a "mission to be on a team" and price is not a huge deal, then sure, I want him. If he signs for Prukop money, with starting bonuses, sign him up. 

But while BO20 and DS83 are unsigned, I don't want to spend on Streveler.  I don't want to have 20% of our SMS in QB's.

I recall Walters saying in his pre-seaon presser last season that they planned to make good use of a "Steveler like package" for their 3rd string QB to run.  That really didn't materialize much last season as Prukop had very little package work.

I realize signing Strev. is a real long shot, but who better to run a "Steveler like package" than the man himself.  Last time he was in Wpg. the offence was almost unstoppable.

blue_gold_84

I don't think it's a long shot to reacquire Streveler. I just think he'll come at a bit of a premium.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 19, 2024, 07:28:13 PMI don't think it's a long shot to reacquire Streveler. I just think he'll come at a bit of a premium.

The stars would have to align, there won't be enough money to pay Brady, Dalton and Strev, they may end up with 2 out of 3, or 1 out of 3, but 3 out of 3 isn't going to happen.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 19, 2024, 06:23:52 PMI think some might be missing the bigger picture here. I want Brady and Schoen and all that too, but when talking about building a championship roster in the CFL, the QB position is paramount.

We've been spoiled by getting lucky that Collaros has been staying upright most of the time the past couple of years, and we were lucky that when we needed to call on an inexperienced Brown that he eventually performed and improved. We know more than most fanbases that this is not how it works the vast majority of the time.

Therefore, what is the value of being able to say: we have an all-star vet QB1 who is backed up by a unique, dynamic and engaging Grey Cup champion fresh off a 4 year NFL stint?

We all talk about depth at various positions and how it's a necessity for a deep run, so why are we writing off the most important position and satisfied by "Dakota Prukop + George McKinnley"?

Having a strong stable QB core is at least as important as an elite receiving group or Canadian superstar RB...

Yes, you need a QB to win, period.

Streveler is a dynamic force, for sure, and as SY and special packages, no doubt he is very good to have on teh roster.

The question is:

Is Streveler a starter that can win you games taking 100% of the snaps?  Dru Brown won games as our starter.  Streveler not so much.

So, as a #2 guy, who might be pressed into starting a series of games, I'd prefer Dru (or his successor) over Streveler.

If we can get Streveler for the same price as Prokup, or within $30k, sure, I've love him on the team.  Especially with rookie with upside at #2.

But blowing the budget to get him in Blue and Gold, I'm not sure that's the best use of $SMS.  He'd probably sign here for less, taking into account he knows us and knows we've been to the GC 4 years running, so there's that money factored in.  But is there a team willing to give him extra $$$ because they have a cheap #1?  I guess we will see.

Is he more likely to win you a game than a more versatile QB
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on January 19, 2024, 08:06:38 PMIs Streveler a starter that can win you games taking 100% of the snaps?  Dru Brown won games as our starter.  Streveler not so much.

The Bombers won games during the 2018 and 2019 seasons with Streveler as the starter.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 19, 2024, 08:26:16 PMThe Bombers won games during the 2018 and 2019 seasons with Streveler as the starter.

Did they? 

Looking at the games where he had more than 15 attempts, because those are likely starts...

06-14 Edm 33-30 L
06-22 Mtl 56-10 W
06-29 Ham 17-31 L
09-08 Ssk 32-27 L
11-03 Edm 24-37 L

08-23 Edm 34-23 W
09-01 SSK 17-19 L
09-07 SSK 35-10 W
09-21 Mtl 38-37 L
09-27 Ham 33-13 L
10-05 Ssk 21-6 L
10-12 Mtl 35-24 W
10-19 Cgy 33-37 L

1-4 in 2018
3-8 in 2019

64.7% completion rate, 19 TD, 19 INT

Yeah, he won games as a starter, but not enough by a long shot.  4-12, 33.3 win %

Which is why he is absoulutely fabulous as a SY/gadget guy, but not a full time starter.  He's a tendency changer...

Those are the numbers.

Dru:

10-15 BC 32-40 L  (we were playing our backups in BC)

08-10 Edm 38-29 W
08-18 CGY 19-18 W
10-27 Cgy 36-13 W

That is a starters win%

Not saying Streveler isn't a force, or an asset any team would love to have.  I just don't think you can rely on him as a #2 to take over for a long term injury replacement...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

the thing is, when we talk about Strevelers ability we are basing it on 3 years ago, how much has he developed since then with Nfl coaching and competing with nfl caliber players. Is Dru Brown the same qb he was even two years ago?
I think we are underestimating him as just being a game changer with his physical ability. I would love to see him back in blue and gold.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Pete on January 19, 2024, 10:10:30 PMthe thing is, when we talk about Strevelers ability we are basing it on 3 years ago, how much has he developed since then with Nfl coaching and competing with nfl caliber players. Is Dru Brown the same qb he was even two years ago?
I think we are underestimating him as just being a game changer with his physical ability. I would love to see him back in blue and gold.
I was about to comment on this however you beat me to it....valid point!   
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on January 19, 2024, 10:10:30 PMthe thing is, when we talk about Strevelers ability we are basing it on 3 years ago, how much has he developed since then with Nfl coaching and competing with nfl caliber players. Is Dru Brown the same qb he was even two years ago?

I don't think his coaching would have been to change his play, but to enhance it for their purposes.  And while he may have had a few years of NFL coaching, does that help make him a CFL QB, let alone a guy who can start effectively in the CFL?  The reads are so much different, if anything, it might hinder his CFL game management.

Again, as a change of pace guy for SY and special packages, I doubt there is his equal out there.  But as a starter, the jury is still out.  So, as a #3 package/SY guy, for sure if we can afford him, he does bring more than Prokup.  But I still want someone else to come in as #2 for in game / in season injury to our starter.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on January 20, 2024, 01:14:34 AMI don't think his coaching would have been to change his play, but to enhance it for their purposes.  And while he may have had a few years of NFL coaching, does that help make him a CFL QB, let alone a guy who can start effectively in the CFL?  The reads are so much different, if anything, it might hinder his CFL game management.

Again, as a change of pace guy for SY and special packages, I doubt there is his equal out there.  But as a starter, the jury is still out.  So, as a #3 package/SY guy, for sure if we can afford him, he does bring more than Prokup.  But I still want someone else to come in as #2 for in game / in season injury to our starter.

I don't think there are any starting positions available to Strev. right now, so if he wants to come back to the CFL this season he has to accept coming in as a #2 and biding his time till something happens.  He could resume the role he played in Wpg. on a lot of teams, as well as fill in as injury replacement, regardless I predict he will be busy and get plenty of snaps.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on January 19, 2024, 09:11:16 PMDid they? 

Looking at the games where he had more than 15 attempts, because those are likely starts...

06-14 Edm 33-30 L
06-22 Mtl 56-10 W
06-29 Ham 17-31 L
09-08 Ssk 32-27 L
11-03 Edm 24-37 L

08-23 Edm 34-23 W
09-01 SSK 17-19 L
09-07 SSK 35-10 W
09-21 Mtl 38-37 L
09-27 Ham 33-13 L
10-05 Ssk 21-6 L
10-12 Mtl 35-24 W
10-19 Cgy 33-37 L

1-4 in 2018
3-8 in 2019

64.7% completion rate, 19 TD, 19 INT

Yeah, he won games as a starter, but not enough by a long shot.  4-12, 33.3 win %

Which is why he is absoulutely fabulous as a SY/gadget guy, but not a full time starter.  He's a tendency changer...

Those are the numbers.

Dru:

10-15 BC 32-40 L  (we were playing our backups in BC)

08-10 Edm 38-29 W
08-18 CGY 19-18 W
10-27 Cgy 36-13 W

That is a starters win%

Not saying Streveler isn't a force, or an asset any team would love to have.  I just don't think you can rely on him as a #2 to take over for a long term injury replacement...

I guess I just don't know why you're comparing him to Dru. Dru's gone.

And your argument is about Streveler as a starter. Zach is our starter. We want Steve to come on in his 2019 play off role. There's no downside.

My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on January 20, 2024, 04:03:20 AMI guess I just don't know why you're comparing him to Dru. Dru's gone.

And your argument is about Streveler as a starter. Zach is our starter. We want Steve to come on in his 2019 play off role. There's no downside.

Streveler was gone, Dru is gone... sure.

The comparison to Dru is about coming in when your starter is injured for a period of time.  In the capacity as #2, Dru won, Streveler did not.

I'm saying I'm fine with him as #3 SY/package guy, but I don't want him as #2 coming in as a game day injury replacement, and starter when #1 can't go.

I'd prefer a guy like Dru at #2, a development guy, a new guy with upside, who will step in as the replacement for #8, and be groomed to take over when #8 retires. 

Streveler is a great #3, ready to go in if #2 falters, and there for SY/packages.  If we can get him for that role at an affordable price, I'm all for it.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on January 20, 2024, 05:14:56 AMStreveler was gone, Dru is gone... sure.

The comparison to Dru is about coming in when your starter is injured for a period of time.  In the capacity as #2, Dru won, Streveler did not.

I'm saying I'm fine with him as #3 SY/package guy, but I don't want him as #2 coming in as a game day injury replacement, and starter when #1 can't go.

I'd prefer a guy like Dru at #2, a development guy, a new guy with upside, who will step in as the replacement for #8, and be groomed to take over when #8 retires.

Streveler is a great #3, ready to go in if #2 falters, and there for SY/packages.  If we can get him for that role at an affordable price, I'm all for it.

You're willing to trust a CFL rookie as the #2 QB over Streveler?  I'm not, he won't sign under those circumstances and he would instantly make the Bomber offence 25% more dynamic than it already is.  Over the next 2 years I'd be happy with everything  he could contribute to making them a better team, after 2025 we can re-examine if Zach chooses to retire.

If the Bombers could make every QB into the next Dru Brown, Prukop wouldn't be stuck  forever in "neverland".

Lincoln Locomotive

Strevvy + Zach = DYNO-MITE!   Sign him!   Loved Strevvy from the very moment we first signed him!
Bomber fan for life