(Unofficial) Kenny Lawler signs with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Started by Blue In BC, February 07, 2023, 02:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

I have a lot of faith that Walter will make the right decision. You would think that other teams would have learned by now that investing in one reciever so heavily  makes little sense. The top three paid recievers last year Lawler Williams abd whitehead all didnt meet expectations and all were injured . Bexause they are heavily targeted and defended the possibility for injury is high, \the same happened to Eliingson after a strong first half

the paw

I think you have to be prepared to pay $250k to even have a chance at Lawler.  If you don't mind losing Bailey, maybe $275k.

Paying any one receiver that much is a bit of a gamble though.  If we can't land Lawler near $250k, I would be happy if they took a run at Dunbar.
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on February 07, 2023, 05:42:58 PM
I think you have to be prepared to pay $250k to even have a chance at Lawler.  If you don't mind losing Bailey, maybe $275k.

Paying any one receiver that much is a bit of a gamble though.  If we can't land Lawler near $250k, I would be happy if they took a run at Dunbar.

Better yet, sign Sheed for $140K, he works harder and is more durable.

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 07, 2023, 04:42:34 PM
It seems we're negotiating with Lawler but I didn't get the impression we've made an actual offer that we have to stick to. It's interesting that we have that kind of money available to spend somewhere.

Note: Ellingson was $165K and Bailey was $138K+ $303K in 2022.

Lawler@ $250K + Agudosi @ $75K = $325K

Now I don't know that Lawler will accept $250K or less but I can see how this could work in our SMS if we choose that route.  I wouldn't but obviously the team is talking with his agent and that can't hurt.

I think I agree that anything over $225K is too much and could be spent on beefing up our DT's.

Throw in the difference between Couture and Eli.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_or_die

I'd love Lawler back but 333K is absolute nonsense.

Demski at 190K with the Canadian passport....I know Lawler is the more talented pure receiver (Demski brings gadget/utility features and has an incredible nose for the endone) but when you factor in the pluses and minuses of each I don't think Lawler should be much more expensive. $200K ideally to make sense for us, or I'd consider up to $215K but that would be my "number".
#Ride?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 07, 2023, 05:53:33 PM
Better yet, sign Sheed for $140K, he works harder and is more durable.

He's still under contract and technically we don't have to do anything in 2023. I'm not against extending him, but we could add another player rather than just pay him more.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 07, 2023, 07:09:23 PM
He's still under contract and technically we don't have to do anything in 2023. I'm not against extending him, but we could add another player rather than just pay him more.

???

Sheed=Rasheed Bailey, who is currently a F.A.

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 07, 2023, 07:20:31 PM
???

Sheed=Rasheed Bailey, who is currently a F.A.

Sorry, I confused your comment with Schoen. Bailey was already making $138K. Not sure how much is wanting at the moment. However options are decreasing as we speak as other teams come to terms with potential free agents.

Dunbar signs agrees to terms with the Elks.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Maybe it means one less team for Lawler unless Hamilton is in play

KINGCHARLES

Someone has also said that Geno Lewis has expressed interest in playing in Winnipeg.
If thats  true, one would imagine that the Bombers are negotiating with both Lawler and Lewis and will probably go after whoever comes cheapest. 
I kind of feel like Geno Lewis might be an actual better fit and might be more appealing to the fans. Both guys have the tendency to make those extremely tough contested catches, also have tendencies to make spectacular catches. Im guessing Lewis comes cheaper.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

Blue In BC

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on February 07, 2023, 08:32:40 PM
Someone has also said that Geno Lewis has expressed interest in playing in Winnipeg.
If thats  true, one would imagine that the Bombers are negotiating with both Lawler and Lewis and will probably go after whoever comes cheapest. 
I kind of feel like Geno Lewis might be an actual better fit and might be more appealing to the fans. Both guys have the tendency to make those extremely tough contested catches, also have tendencies to make spectacular catches. Im guessing Lewis comes cheaper.

Could be. Free agency is a little like musical chairs. Can't tell who signs 1st or where but each signing fills a spot. A team that signs Lawler won't also sign Lewis or vice versa.

I wouldn't agree that Lewis might be a better fit aside from the question of SMS. I'd be happy with either at the right price.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Guaranteed money is only if you've played 2 seasons with a team... so that's off the table.  Whew.

I'd like Lewis on a one year deal over Lawler on a multi year... even at the same $.  I think Lewis is a better fit too.

Lawler will get multi year deal offers, for sure.  Lewis probably not.  So, I think we end up with Lewis for $225k / 1 year.

I'd be good with that.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.