Blue Bombers re-sign all-star guard Pat Neufeld

Started by ModAdmin, December 18, 2023, 04:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers re-sign all-star guard Pat Neufeld

WINNIPEG, MB., December 18, 2024 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on a one-year extension with Canadian Football League All-Star guard Pat Neufeld.

Neufeld
was scheduled to become a free agent in February.

Neufeld (6-6, 311, University of Saskatchewan; born: December 26, 1988, in Regina, Sask.) returns in 2024 for his 11th season with the Blue Bombers and 13th in the Canadian Football League, including his days with Saskatchewan (2011-13).

Named a CFL All-Star for the third time in his career in 2023, Neufeld started 17 regular-season games this past season along with the West Final and 110th Grey Cup. The Blue Bombers finished first in scoring in 2023 and Neufeld was part of an offensive line that helped Brady Oliveira rush for a league-best 1,534 yards in earning his first rushing title.

Originally drafted by the Roughriders in 2010, Neufeld was acquired by Winnipeg in a trade in 2013 and has become a fixture at the right guard spot. He has now played in 153 CFL games, including 116 with the Blue Bombers, and now makes Winnipeg home.
'Heart
Neufeld was also honoured as the 2021 recipient of the club's Cal Murphy 'Heart of a Legend Award' presented annually to the player who has shown 'outstanding sportsmanship and dedication to the Canadian Football League and the community.' 
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

VictorRomano

Good signing.  Here's hoping he can stay healthy and finish out his career in Blue & Gold.

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Glad to have him back. We might see all or nearly all of our OL back but age, SMS and roster spots are all factors in the process. I'm wondering if Richmond considers re-signing or moving elsewhere for a chance to start.

IIRC, he's seen some reps at both LT and RT in games where we used mostly back ups. It's interesting that he's been kept around for several seasons on the PR with no clear path to start.

Retirement at OT or a chance to create some savings in the SMS would seem to be a now or never in his situation. I can't see him agreeing to go back to the PR for another season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

I don't see him ever going back on our PR nor do I see him starting at a tackle position. He's a great guard though...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on December 18, 2023, 11:43:39 PM
I don't see him ever going back on our PR nor do I see him starting at a tackle position. He's a great guard though...

Richmond?  Problem is moving him to guard would displace a Natl.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 19, 2023, 01:15:15 AM
Richmond?  Problem is moving him to guard would displace a Natl.

We have plenty of starting Nats, but we do actually have extra Nat interior linemen, so using an American at G is a waste...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Neufeld whiffed on at least one in the GC when it mattered... But he was solid all year and was rarely the problem.  So 35 this year?  We're really pushing the envelope on average age of the entire OL.

I hope we didn't have to break the bank to keep him.  He probably took a bit of a stay-with-the-team discount.

We sure are good at OL retention and acquisition when required (DP).  I was watching the OL like a hawk on my GC rewatch and they all had a turn whiffing... we miss Couture.  Ko-man is good and I think can get better, but Couture was a lock in the center.  Gray still has the occasional Gray A-gap problem.  And both OTs got burned at least once.  It's actually sad and depressing that MTL OL did much better, including our throw-away McGloster!!  Need to figure out why that was and fix it...

I'm sure someone here told me a while back... is the '13 Neufeld trade the one we made for DT (or DE?) Turner.  If so... we sure made out like bandits on that deal!!  Whoever was GM then, give him a cigar... hey wait, did we already have KW then?  Funny how these things all work out.
Never go full Rider!

DCM

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 19, 2023, 04:04:25 AM
Neufeld whiffed on at least one in the GC when it mattered... But he was solid all year and was rarely the problem.  So 35 this year?  We're really pushing the envelope on average age of the entire OL.

I hope we didn't have to break the bank to keep him.  He probably took a bit of a stay-with-the-team discount.

We sure are good at OL retention and acquisition when required (DP).  I was watching the OL like a hawk on my GC rewatch and they all had a turn whiffing... we miss Couture.  Ko-man is good and I think can get better, but Couture was a lock in the center.  Gray still has the occasional Gray A-gap problem.  And both OTs got burned at least once.  It's actually sad and depressing that MTL OL did much better, including our throw-away McGloster!!  Need to figure out why that was and fix it...

I'm sure someone here told me a while back... is the '13 Neufeld trade the one we made for DT (or DE?) Turner.  If so... we sure made out like bandits on that deal!!  Whoever was GM then, give him a cigar... hey wait, did we already have KW then?  Funny how these things all work out.
Patrick Neufeld and a 4th round pick in the 2015 CFL Draft from the Saskatchewan Roughriders in exchange for import defensive end Alex Hall and a 2nd round pick in the 2014 CFL Draft.

Riders took Dylan Ainsworth, Bombers took Christophe Normand.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

bwiser

I almost hope that Bryant retires as that would free up some cap room and I fear that the whole line may retire at once which would be tough to replace that quickly. I am a Steelers fan and I saw what happens when two All Pros retire at once. The Steelers haven't been the same since.

Jesse

Quote from: bwiser on December 19, 2023, 02:11:52 PM
I almost hope that Bryant retires as that would free up some cap room and I fear that the whole line may retire at once which would be tough to replace that quickly. I am a Steelers fan and I saw what happens when two All Pros retire at once. The Steelers haven't been the same since.

I can't really see a situation in which Bryant retiring makes us better.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: bwiser on December 19, 2023, 02:11:52 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if SB retired. He going to be 38, last season he wasn't as dominate as he has been in past seasons. His $200K salary would help the team sign some important pieces, but do we have someone that can replace him?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on December 19, 2023, 04:02:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if SB retired. He going to be 38, last season he wasn't as dominate as he has been in past seasons. His $200K salary would help the team sign some important pieces, but do we have someone that can replace him?  

I agree, don't want them going into next season with a hunky-dory status quo attitude after coming off consecutive Cup losses.  Walters needs to get on with the renewal process.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on December 19, 2023, 03:16:43 PM
I can't really see a situation in which Bryant retiring makes us better.

+1

Losing Bryant would be felt on the O-line and on the team pretty much immediately, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Neufled said he talk to the group on the OL, most said they where coming back for another season. I can see Gray and Kolankowski, signing 2 year deals, Harddrick probably his usual 1 year deal.

Bryant, Thomas, Miller, Briggs, retiring.

Players with 10 plus years in the CFL: Collaros 11, Miller 12, Benson 10, Neufled 12, Bryant 13, Thomas 11, Bighill 10.

Players with 5-9 years in the CFL: Jefferson 9, Briggs 9, Hardrick 9, Demski 8, Gauthier 7, Prukop 6, Rose 6, Jeffcoat 6, Woli 6, Gray 5.

VictorRomano

Quote from: Pigskin on December 19, 2023, 04:02:13 PM
He going to be 38, last season he wasn't as dominate as he has been in past seasons.

Age is just a number as long as the player can still perform.  Keep in mind Bob Cameron played for the Bombers until he was 47(!).  Managing his salary is an entirely different issue - at some point, return on investment needs to be a consideration, but I'm not sure this year is the year, unless we have someone considerably younger, better and cheaper in the wings.....(or intend to sign someone through FA to replace him - I don't think that there is anyone available in the draft that could walk on and take his job, even though this year's draft is thicc with O-Linemen).

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: VictorRomano on December 19, 2023, 07:50:15 PM
Age is just a number as long as the player can still perform.  Keep in mind Bob Cameron played for the Bombers until he was 47(!).  Managing his salary is an entirely different issue - at some point, return on investment needs to be a consideration, but I'm not sure this year is the year, unless we have someone considerably younger, better and cheaper in the wings.....(or intend to sign someone through FA to replace him - I don't think that there is anyone available in the draft that could walk on and take his job, even though this year's draft is thicc with O-Linemen).

It's happened a few times, but pretty rare an offensive lineman can step into a starting role his first year, especially with the current O-line group. 

I see Liam Dobson is not listed as a FA even though he just finished his second year as a Bomber, does anyone remember if his initial contract was for 3 years?

Horseman

It makes me laugh when people point to Bob Cameron playing until he was 47, they forget he was a punter, not a football player. Even in practice go and watch what the kickers do, basically walk around and kick the odd ball, they are not exposing their bodies to the physical abuse of hitting and being hit by other players. So without the physical toll on their bodies kickers can play longer that any true football player. Being a lineman, either O or D line exposes those players to enormous physical wear on their bodies way more than a kicker, so stop comparing how long kickers play to all other football players who take part in hitting drills. QB's as well are protected from being hit for the most part in practices and as a result are not experiencing the physical wear. When I played, there was a saying, during the week everyone wanted to be a kicker except on game days. Becuase during the week the kickers did not hit or be hit and on game days they had to perform kicking as all eyes were on them.

blue_gold_84

Didn't Walby play until he was 39 or 40? I'm sure Bryant has a year or two left in the tank.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 19, 2023, 08:32:33 PM
Didn't Walby play until he was 39 or 40? I'm sure Bryant has a year or two left in the tank.
Correct I believe he played till 41.

Great to have Neufeld back.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blueforlife

Need to bring back and retain as many vets on the OL as possible, great signing and keep em coming

The heart of the club
Sometimes you need a fresh start

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 19, 2023, 05:09:57 PM
I agree, don't want them going into next season with a hunky-dory status quo attitude after coming off consecutive Cup losses.  Walters needs to get on with the renewal process.

After 2 losses to inferior teams I'm starting to see why CGY w/BLM had so many problems sealing the deal in all of their cups... there's a lot that comes down to luck and having the perfect game.

In 2019 we thoroughly hosed the opponent, but in 2021 we were the ones who lucked out: we basically won by the fingertip of Nichols on the Acklin would-be-TD catch.

In 2022 the lucked turned and we lost by either a lucky short curl batdown on our final drive or a lucky FG block (take your pick).

In 2023 the luck stayed away on that 3rd & 5 30Y pass that really should never have been completed and was a total desperation attempt by Calvillo/Maas (though a brilliant, bold move).

My point is, I see now that when you're a great team for 5-10 years, and get to the cup a lot, it's still often luck that decides the winner.  As such, the way you "beat luck" is to just keep returning to the cup again and again because the odds will say you'll eventually win some more... all things being equal.  We're a great team and I have little doubt we'll be great in 2024, even without major overhauls.  As such, I wouldn't be quick to ditch Big Stan: assuming he wants to play.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

The problem with our all-star, ageing, OT's is we never really have done well developing a replacement.  We've tried over the years and we tend to let the guys go to disappear forever, or (rarely) show up on another team.  McGloster is the only one other teams have deemed worthy (and now he has a GC ring!).  And I don't think he's that good (yet?).

We focus sooo much on NAT OL that I have a hunch that if/when Stan/Yosh retire, we'll look hard at 4 NAT OL options.

The only other viable option I can see is we do what we did with Big Stan and we go out in FA and make a big splash for one of the league-top OT from another team (who??).  That's assuming we have the $$ of course.  Otherwise it'll be experiment time with Gray or Neuf out at OT...

I'm pretty sure 2024 will be status quo, with (at worst) the usual one NAT OL bailing for $greener$ pastures.  Maybe things get shaken up in 2025.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 21, 2023, 04:36:48 AM
The problem with our all-star, ageing, OT's is we never really have done well developing a replacement.  We've tried over the years and we tend to let the guys go to disappear forever, or (rarely) show up on another team.  McGloster is the only one other teams have deemed worthy (and now he has a GC ring!).  And I don't think he's that good (yet?).

We focus sooo much on NAT OL that I have a hunch that if/when Stan/Yosh retire, we'll look hard at 4 NAT OL options.

The only other viable option I can see is we do what we did with Big Stan and we go out in FA and make a big splash for one of the league-top OT from another team (who??).  That's assuming we have the $$ of course.  Otherwise it'll be experiment time with Gray or Neuf out at OT...

I'm pretty sure 2024 will be status quo, with (at worst) the usual one NAT OL bailing for $greener$ pastures.  Maybe things get shaken up in 2025.

You can only have a developing OT on the PR for so long... you can't AR and Imp OT, just not done.  So, any OT you develop has to sit on a PR.  If any of them rose to the level of replacing Hardrick or Bryant, they'd be starting.  But it is hard to replace two perennial all stars. 

I am sure that when the time comes, McManus and crew will have someone ready to step up, or KW will sign a FA or trade for someone (more likely the former).  Its why we move so many OT's through the system, to have a number of names identified if need be.

OT is the last of my worries on this team. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 21, 2023, 04:36:48 AM

Drew Richmond is pencilled in as Stanley's replacement at LT, he's been living on the PR since 2019.  Before him Manase Foketi spent 2 seasons on the PR waiting for Stan to stumble, didn't happen so he decided to stay home and never reported to TC in 2019, also didn't tell Walters he wasn't coming back.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 21, 2023, 05:24:03 PM
Drew Richmond is pencilled in as Stanley's replacement at LT, he's been living on the PR since 2019.

IIRC Richmond started once or twice in garbage-season the last few seasons?  And maybe a PS game?  From hazy memories, I thought he didn't look good at all.  However, I understand these guys can take a time to develop.  Most of the best IMP OTs in the league have been around a long time.

Weird how we see a rookie or sophomore NAT OL be good enough to start (including on our team!), but rarely see the same with IMP OTs (and I'm talking league-wide).  You'd think there'd be a zillion superb OL in the USA just waiting to come up and start.  Sometimes it seems like the "non-skill" position is harder to fill than the "skill" positions!!  Maybe that whole nomenclature needs to be re-thought-out.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 22, 2023, 02:17:33 AM
IIRC Richmond started once or twice in garbage-season the last few seasons?  And maybe a PS game?  From hazy memories, I thought he didn't look good at all.  However, I understand these guys can take a time to develop.  Most of the best IMP OTs in the league have been around a long time.

Weird how we see a rookie or sophomore NAT OL be good enough to start (including on our team!), but rarely see the same with IMP OTs (and I'm talking league-wide).  You'd think there'd be a zillion superb OL in the USA just waiting to come up and start.  Sometimes it seems like the "non-skill" position is harder to fill than the "skill" positions!!  Maybe that whole nomenclature needs to be re-thought-out.

Big difference in playing inside and OT... and the yard off the ball puts any OL from NCAA at a disadvantage in learning the ropes. 

NFL OT's are a different skillset than CFL.  Again, the CFL is a different game, with different rules, and different types of D to defend against.  12 players makes for different rushes, handing off of rushers is a lot different in the CFL than NFL,  So communication is a big key, and it takes time for an Oline to gel, and learn what their teammates will do by instinct.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 22, 2023, 02:17:33 AM

If it wasn't for Stanley and Hardrick, Bombers may have gone through a merry-go-round of OT's looking for the right guys.  The only previous LOT I can recall off-hand is Glenn January.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 19, 2023, 05:09:57 PM
My fear last season was precisely around maintaining the status quo while other teams ramp up and continue to improve.    Both our OL and DL were outplayed in the GC with some of that attributable to schemes employed to neutralize Wj and JJ with those quick outs.    Yes we won the west as there wasn't much in the way of opposition last year.   Both Edmonton and the Riders were terrible and Calgary wasn't a factor either.   BC was our only real threat out west and we beat them in the WF with our ransacking of VAJ and the running of BO.    We sacked Adams 9 times and they were still in the game.    BO was able to run the ball effectively against them however in the GC they shut him down in the second half.    On our last possession we ran on first down for almost nothing gained and then Zach was sacked on 2nd and long forcing us to punt with just under 2 minutes.   Had our offence managed one or perhaps two first downs late in the game, we win the game however Montreals D stood tall when it mattered and then our D folded and seemed to be in panic mode.   
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on December 22, 2023, 04:27:25 PM
My fear last season was precisely around maintaining the status quo while other teams ramp up and continue to improve.    Both our OL and DL were outplayed in the GC with some of that attributable to schemes employed to neutralize Wj and JJ with those quick outs.

After my rewatch, and after watching the GC Wired show, it is clear to me the demeanour and morale on the two sidelines was vastly different.  On the field, too.  MTL was stoked to the max, crazy hyped up like they drank 20 pots of coffee and did a whole safeway bag full of smelling salts.  Then TSN showed our guys just kind of there... they weren't even as hyped as they get for the average away game!  Compare with our guys in BC for the West-division clincher week 18, or the WDF.

MTL made a big play and the entire sideline would congratulate the player like it was the best play ever.  We made some big plays and we just walk off the field like nothing happened.  No hype or energy.

I see the advantage of being chill... but we were too chill.  We didn't bring the energy and it showed and was likely the difference maker that caused us to lose.  We don't have that fire and I'm not sure if they can get it back.  The leaders and coaches need to step up.  It's NOT just another game.  I wish they'd stop saying that.

Once again, it all reminds me of CGY in their ton of GC appearances over the last 10-15 years.  Many of the ones they lost they were just there going through the motions, and got whipped by the upstart nobody opponent like OTT.  I don't want to have the same fate as CGY.

You don't win the GC by just showing up.  You need to bring the energy and the fire and the wood.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 23, 2023, 01:31:11 AM
You don't win the GC by just showing up.  You need to bring the energy and the fire and the wood.

...and the match!
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Tiger

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

DM83

Techno, nice point.  I wondered about the same.
Football needs emotion, as probably all sports do.
If guys become ho-hum they should retire and let the piss and vinegar guys play.
We have some back-up linebackers, and DBs who can play. The D line is so good they can probably play till they are. Forty! lol!

We lost the cup, because we had some significant injuries, and Hall?s ?prevent? defence?, ten yard cushions vs a team that used hitch screens every series.  He must have had a reason? 

So if we get Schoen back at 100% another championship awaits.  Bighill was limited, but he is still awesome.