Blue Bombers re-sign all-star guard Pat Neufeld

Started by ModAdmin, December 18, 2023, 04:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Neufled said he talk to the group on the OL, most said they where coming back for another season. I can see Gray and Kolankowski, signing 2 year deals, Harddrick probably his usual 1 year deal.

Bryant, Thomas, Miller, Briggs, retiring.

Players with 10 plus years in the CFL: Collaros 11, Miller 12, Benson 10, Neufled 12, Bryant 13, Thomas 11, Bighill 10.

Players with 5-9 years in the CFL: Jefferson 9, Briggs 9, Hardrick 9, Demski 8, Gauthier 7, Prukop 6, Rose 6, Jeffcoat 6, Woli 6, Gray 5.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

VictorRomano

Quote from: Pigskin on December 19, 2023, 04:02:13 PM
He going to be 38, last season he wasn't as dominate as he has been in past seasons.

Age is just a number as long as the player can still perform.  Keep in mind Bob Cameron played for the Bombers until he was 47(!).  Managing his salary is an entirely different issue - at some point, return on investment needs to be a consideration, but I'm not sure this year is the year, unless we have someone considerably younger, better and cheaper in the wings.....(or intend to sign someone through FA to replace him - I don't think that there is anyone available in the draft that could walk on and take his job, even though this year's draft is thicc with O-Linemen).

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: VictorRomano on December 19, 2023, 07:50:15 PM
Age is just a number as long as the player can still perform.  Keep in mind Bob Cameron played for the Bombers until he was 47(!).  Managing his salary is an entirely different issue - at some point, return on investment needs to be a consideration, but I'm not sure this year is the year, unless we have someone considerably younger, better and cheaper in the wings.....(or intend to sign someone through FA to replace him - I don't think that there is anyone available in the draft that could walk on and take his job, even though this year's draft is thicc with O-Linemen).

It's happened a few times, but pretty rare an offensive lineman can step into a starting role his first year, especially with the current O-line group. 

I see Liam Dobson is not listed as a FA even though he just finished his second year as a Bomber, does anyone remember if his initial contract was for 3 years?

Horseman

It makes me laugh when people point to Bob Cameron playing until he was 47, they forget he was a punter, not a football player. Even in practice go and watch what the kickers do, basically walk around and kick the odd ball, they are not exposing their bodies to the physical abuse of hitting and being hit by other players. So without the physical toll on their bodies kickers can play longer that any true football player. Being a lineman, either O or D line exposes those players to enormous physical wear on their bodies way more than a kicker, so stop comparing how long kickers play to all other football players who take part in hitting drills. QB's as well are protected from being hit for the most part in practices and as a result are not experiencing the physical wear. When I played, there was a saying, during the week everyone wanted to be a kicker except on game days. Becuase during the week the kickers did not hit or be hit and on game days they had to perform kicking as all eyes were on them.

blue_gold_84

Didn't Walby play until he was 39 or 40? I'm sure Bryant has a year or two left in the tank.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 19, 2023, 08:32:33 PM
Didn't Walby play until he was 39 or 40? I'm sure Bryant has a year or two left in the tank.
Correct I believe he played till 41.

Great to have Neufeld back.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blueforlife

Need to bring back and retain as many vets on the OL as possible, great signing and keep em coming

The heart of the club
Sometimes you need a fresh start

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 19, 2023, 05:09:57 PM
I agree, don't want them going into next season with a hunky-dory status quo attitude after coming off consecutive Cup losses.  Walters needs to get on with the renewal process.

After 2 losses to inferior teams I'm starting to see why CGY w/BLM had so many problems sealing the deal in all of their cups... there's a lot that comes down to luck and having the perfect game.

In 2019 we thoroughly hosed the opponent, but in 2021 we were the ones who lucked out: we basically won by the fingertip of Nichols on the Acklin would-be-TD catch.

In 2022 the lucked turned and we lost by either a lucky short curl batdown on our final drive or a lucky FG block (take your pick).

In 2023 the luck stayed away on that 3rd & 5 30Y pass that really should never have been completed and was a total desperation attempt by Calvillo/Maas (though a brilliant, bold move).

My point is, I see now that when you're a great team for 5-10 years, and get to the cup a lot, it's still often luck that decides the winner.  As such, the way you "beat luck" is to just keep returning to the cup again and again because the odds will say you'll eventually win some more... all things being equal.  We're a great team and I have little doubt we'll be great in 2024, even without major overhauls.  As such, I wouldn't be quick to ditch Big Stan: assuming he wants to play.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

The problem with our all-star, ageing, OT's is we never really have done well developing a replacement.  We've tried over the years and we tend to let the guys go to disappear forever, or (rarely) show up on another team.  McGloster is the only one other teams have deemed worthy (and now he has a GC ring!).  And I don't think he's that good (yet?).

We focus sooo much on NAT OL that I have a hunch that if/when Stan/Yosh retire, we'll look hard at 4 NAT OL options.

The only other viable option I can see is we do what we did with Big Stan and we go out in FA and make a big splash for one of the league-top OT from another team (who??).  That's assuming we have the $$ of course.  Otherwise it'll be experiment time with Gray or Neuf out at OT...

I'm pretty sure 2024 will be status quo, with (at worst) the usual one NAT OL bailing for $greener$ pastures.  Maybe things get shaken up in 2025.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 21, 2023, 04:36:48 AM
The problem with our all-star, ageing, OT's is we never really have done well developing a replacement.  We've tried over the years and we tend to let the guys go to disappear forever, or (rarely) show up on another team.  McGloster is the only one other teams have deemed worthy (and now he has a GC ring!).  And I don't think he's that good (yet?).

We focus sooo much on NAT OL that I have a hunch that if/when Stan/Yosh retire, we'll look hard at 4 NAT OL options.

The only other viable option I can see is we do what we did with Big Stan and we go out in FA and make a big splash for one of the league-top OT from another team (who??).  That's assuming we have the $$ of course.  Otherwise it'll be experiment time with Gray or Neuf out at OT...

I'm pretty sure 2024 will be status quo, with (at worst) the usual one NAT OL bailing for $greener$ pastures.  Maybe things get shaken up in 2025.

You can only have a developing OT on the PR for so long... you can't AR and Imp OT, just not done.  So, any OT you develop has to sit on a PR.  If any of them rose to the level of replacing Hardrick or Bryant, they'd be starting.  But it is hard to replace two perennial all stars. 

I am sure that when the time comes, McManus and crew will have someone ready to step up, or KW will sign a FA or trade for someone (more likely the former).  Its why we move so many OT's through the system, to have a number of names identified if need be.

OT is the last of my worries on this team. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 21, 2023, 04:36:48 AM

Drew Richmond is pencilled in as Stanley's replacement at LT, he's been living on the PR since 2019.  Before him Manase Foketi spent 2 seasons on the PR waiting for Stan to stumble, didn't happen so he decided to stay home and never reported to TC in 2019, also didn't tell Walters he wasn't coming back.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 21, 2023, 05:24:03 PM
Drew Richmond is pencilled in as Stanley's replacement at LT, he's been living on the PR since 2019.

IIRC Richmond started once or twice in garbage-season the last few seasons?  And maybe a PS game?  From hazy memories, I thought he didn't look good at all.  However, I understand these guys can take a time to develop.  Most of the best IMP OTs in the league have been around a long time.

Weird how we see a rookie or sophomore NAT OL be good enough to start (including on our team!), but rarely see the same with IMP OTs (and I'm talking league-wide).  You'd think there'd be a zillion superb OL in the USA just waiting to come up and start.  Sometimes it seems like the "non-skill" position is harder to fill than the "skill" positions!!  Maybe that whole nomenclature needs to be re-thought-out.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 22, 2023, 02:17:33 AM
IIRC Richmond started once or twice in garbage-season the last few seasons?  And maybe a PS game?  From hazy memories, I thought he didn't look good at all.  However, I understand these guys can take a time to develop.  Most of the best IMP OTs in the league have been around a long time.

Weird how we see a rookie or sophomore NAT OL be good enough to start (including on our team!), but rarely see the same with IMP OTs (and I'm talking league-wide).  You'd think there'd be a zillion superb OL in the USA just waiting to come up and start.  Sometimes it seems like the "non-skill" position is harder to fill than the "skill" positions!!  Maybe that whole nomenclature needs to be re-thought-out.

Big difference in playing inside and OT... and the yard off the ball puts any OL from NCAA at a disadvantage in learning the ropes. 

NFL OT's are a different skillset than CFL.  Again, the CFL is a different game, with different rules, and different types of D to defend against.  12 players makes for different rushes, handing off of rushers is a lot different in the CFL than NFL,  So communication is a big key, and it takes time for an Oline to gel, and learn what their teammates will do by instinct.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 22, 2023, 02:17:33 AM

If it wasn't for Stanley and Hardrick, Bombers may have gone through a merry-go-round of OT's looking for the right guys.  The only previous LOT I can recall off-hand is Glenn January.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 19, 2023, 05:09:57 PM
I agree, don't want them going into next season with a hunky-dory status quo attitude after coming off consecutive Cup losses.  Walters needs to get on with the renewal process.
My fear last season was precisely around maintaining the status quo while other teams ramp up and continue to improve.    Both our OL and DL were outplayed in the GC with some of that attributable to schemes employed to neutralize Wj and JJ with those quick outs.    Yes we won the west as there wasn't much in the way of opposition last year.   Both Edmonton and the Riders were terrible and Calgary wasn't a factor either.   BC was our only real threat out west and we beat them in the WF with our ransacking of VAJ and the running of BO.    We sacked Adams 9 times and they were still in the game.    BO was able to run the ball effectively against them however in the GC they shut him down in the second half.    On our last possession we ran on first down for almost nothing gained and then Zach was sacked on 2nd and long forcing us to punt with just under 2 minutes.   Had our offence managed one or perhaps two first downs late in the game, we win the game however Montreals D stood tall when it mattered and then our D folded and seemed to be in panic mode.   
Bomber fan for life