Streveler signed to one year deal - updated topic

Started by Norm W, January 12, 2024, 06:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 15, 2024, 01:15:33 PM
But you already ate it all.

Under his made up definition of what a SYA is, he?s probably right.

But it just underscores how limited Prukop is.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 15, 2024, 03:23:19 PM
Wow...must be off season in January for everyone to be splitting hairs.   All I know is if we have to chose between Strevvy or Dakota, I'm going with Strevvy as he was able to actually win a few games in relief of Nichols in his first year.    He was also instrumental in our 2019 Quest to break our 29 year Grey Cup drought especially in the playoffs,   He's an absolute warrior and his teammates rally around him.    Dakota was a brilliant SY guy however Strevvy just brings more to the game, plus he's pretty good in SY situations at over 93% conversions.    IF we are fortunate enough to sign Strevvy then we scout for an ELC #3 QB and hope for the best.    The 1-2 Zach/Strevvy combo strikes fear into the hearts of opposing Ds.

Did you post this comment from the peanut gallery? ;)

Well said, BTW. Streveler is a unique talent in so many ways and he'd be a huge addition to the team should he return.

Personally, I think the Bombers win GC110 if Streveler's backing up Collaros rather than Prukop (whose lame duck INT in that game was one of the uglier plays in recent memory).
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 15, 2024, 03:59:02 AM
Which also illustrates my point: that MOS demands we can achieve 0-1 failures per season on 3rd & 1.  Piggie had that one job, and the fact we fired him so quickly after his one game of failures, further proves the point.  And if he canned Piggie for botching 2, he & KW wouldn't have been so revved up to get back Prukop if Prukop's record in 2022 was anywhere near 6 botches!!  Might as well just stick with Piggy for less money.

They did not release Piggie until Prukop agreed to return, it was not directly related to his performance on the field, Prukop was simply a more comfortable fit with the offence and in the QB room.  The biggest flaw in Piggies game seems to be that he's not a great communicator and over relies on raw talent.  I really hope a CFL team picks him up and invests the time in him, it would be a pity if he was one and done.

theaardvark

Not sure Pigrome has the build to be a CFL QB, even if the time/training was invested in him.  5'9, 206.  He's a little tank, for sure, but there is a lot that stature plays in, and that you have to overcome.

There were a few flashes of "raw talent", but if you can't develop, well...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on January 15, 2024, 05:53:29 PM
Not sure Pigrome has the build to be a CFL QB, even if the time/training was invested in him.  5'9, 206.  He's a little tank, for sure, but there is a lot that stature plays in, and that you have to overcome.

There were a few flashes of "raw talent", but if you can't develop, well...

He is short, but:

Kevin Glenn was 5'10", 203
Doug Flutie was 5'10", 180
Kyler Murray is 5'10", 207
Russell Wilson is 5'11", 215

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 15, 2024, 06:00:41 PM
He is short, but:

Your 4 examples over a time period that spans 30 years kinda proves the point.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on January 15, 2024, 06:33:56 PM
Your 4 examples over a time period that spans 30 years kinda proves the point.

Proves what? It's hard to be a starting QB in pro football? It's even harder when you're short, no denying it, but the CFL is historically been a place more accepting of shorter QBs. I don't think Pigrome will amount to much in the CFL but he, along with a ton of guys who are 6' or bigger will also be cut before long.

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 15, 2024, 06:00:41 PM
He is short, but:

All of those guys are actually taller than Piggy.

And I'm pretty sure all of those guys had pretty stellar Div 1 NCAA careers, a couple of Heismann winners, a first overall pick...

Piggy went undrafted ou of a Div II school.

But, yeah, a short guy can make it as an elite QB...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on January 15, 2024, 07:21:19 PM
All of those guys are actually taller than Piggy.

And I'm pretty sure all of those guys had pretty stellar Div 1 NCAA careers, a couple of Heismann winners, a first overall pick...

Piggy went undrafted ou of a Div II school.

But, yeah, a short guy can make it as an elite QB...

You're right. 5-9 might be too short if it's never been done before. I just mean that, in general, the CFL has been kinder to shorter quarterbacks and we've seen lots of sub 6-foot quarterbacks get good opportunities in Canada. Put it this way, I don't think it's his height that's going to disqualify him from a chance up here.

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 18, 2024, 01:37:40 PM
You're right. 5-9 might be too short if it's never been done before. I just mean that, in general, the CFL has been kinder to shorter quarterbacks and we've seen lots of sub 6-foot quarterbacks get good opportunities in Canada. Put it this way, I don't think it's his height that's going to disqualify him from a chance up here.

You can't coach height..  sure, we have had more successful short QB's, because there are talented guys out there that being less than 6' eliminated them from consideration for the NFL.

Piggy lacks a lot of the essentials, and he might be able to be coached up, but the Bombers pulled the trigger immediately upon Prukop coming available, and that says volumes.

I'm sure he had intangibles that got him into our camp, and I think our scouts can find more where he came from, hopefully 6' plus...

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Waffler on January 13, 2024, 01:56:16 PMI'm thinking the same thing. We have 600k tied up in QB's before we even sign a 2nd one. Strev is the same problem Brown would be. Walters has himself painted into a corner. What did we spend on QB's last year? around 800? That leaves us just 200k for 2 additional guys.
Not exactly painted himself into a corner because Dru wanted to go to a team with a legit shot at competing for the #1 QB position, which wasn't an option for him with Zach signed long term until 25.    We may end up paying Strevvy the same $$ we might have for Dru however Strevvy would be a valuable addition to our team and it's chances of making a 5th
consecutive Cup appearance.   At least we managed to get a pick for Dru and at least we only have to play him once or twice a season AND he's not playing in our conference.   
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 19, 2024, 01:30:43 AMNot exactly painted himself into a corner because Dru wanted to go to a team with a legit shot at competing for the #1 QB position, which wasn't an option for him with Zach signed long term until 25.    We may end up paying Strevvy the same $$ we might have for Dru however Strevvy would be a valuable addition to our team and it's chances of making a 5th
consecutive Cup appearance.   At least we managed to get a pick for Dru and at least we only have to play him once or twice a season AND he's not playing in our conference.   

If Strevy has no shot at starting, he might accept that reality but I think it's going to take at least $225k to get him to sign, twice what they paid Brown.  The only way this would be possible is if they lost out on Schoen or Brady and gave the unused money to Strevy.  If they can't re-sign Schoen a good tradeoff would be Strevy running his package plays and handling short yardage.

theaardvark

I think we can get Prukop and a rookie for less that Streve alone, which then opens up a lot of money for Schoen/Olivera. 

Love Strevie, but I think we are better served with Prokup and hopefully the next Dru Brown.  Streveler is exciting, personable and has some very strong abilities, but I'm just not seeing the benefit overall that justifies what we assume his salary expectations are.

Now, if he's on a "mission to be on a team" and price is not a huge deal, then sure, I want him. If he signs for Prukop money, with starting bonuses, sign him up. 

But while BO20 and DS83 are unsigned, I don't want to spend on Streveler.  I don't want to have 20% of our SMS in QB's.

blue_or_die

I think some might be missing the bigger picture here. I want Brady and Schoen and all that too, but when talking about building a championship roster in the CFL, the QB position is paramount.

We've been spoiled by getting lucky that Collaros has been staying upright most of the time the past couple of years, and we were lucky that when we needed to call on an inexperienced Brown that he eventually performed and improved. We know more than most fanbases that this is not how it works the vast majority of the time.

Therefore, what is the value of being able to say: we have an all-star vet QB1 who is backed up by a unique, dynamic and engaging Grey Cup champion fresh off a 4 year NFL stint?

We all talk about depth at various positions and how it's a necessity for a deep run, so why are we writing off the most important position and satisfied by "Dakota Prukop + George McKinnley"?

Having a strong stable QB core is at least as important as an elite receiving group or Canadian superstar RB...
#Ride?