NFL cuts of CFL'ers thread

Started by theaardvark, July 31, 2023, 08:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

We lost Kongbo and Dejarlais after NFL trials, but Tyrell Ford remains Bomber property if he returns to the CFL, right?  Players on ELC's that take advantage of the NFL window aren't free agents the last I remember...

He's literally the last DB mentioned on the "Countdown to Camp" https://www.packers.com/news/countdown-to-camp-second-safety-spot-up-for-grabs-in-packers-secondary

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

I don't think Ford has much chance to make an active roster. The other two players had significant playing time before going to the NFL. The question is whether there is enough interest and room on their PR to keep him around.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Yes. He is Bomber-property when he comes back to the CFL.

TecnoGenius

He's great depth, and if he comes back for '24 it should work out well because we'll probably lose yet another DB to $$FA if we make the GC again.
Never go full Rider!

The Zipp

LB Darnell Sankey has received his release from the #XFL & is now pursuing
@cfl
options. Was a tackling machine his last 2 CFL seasons 218 tackles with #Riders & #Stamps.
@CFLonTSN

Pigskin

Really like Sankey, he will help any D in the CFL.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

The Zipp

Quote from: Pigskin on August 01, 2023, 04:35:00 PM
Really like Sankey, he will help any D in the CFL.

agreed - solid player

Blue In BC

Quote from: The Zipp on August 01, 2023, 04:31:03 PM
LB Darnell Sankey has received his release from the #XFL & is now pursuing
@cfl
options. Was a tackling machine his last 2 CFL seasons 218 tackles with #Riders & #Stamps.
@CFLonTSN

He'd be an asset to the Bombers. We're not sure when or if Clements will return in 2023. I thought he injured an ankle but that's a question. How Wilson is able to play after a year off is somewhat
of a question but I think he'll be ok.

LB's don't tend to be the highest paid individuals and we're talking a 1/2 season potentially. So he should / could be affordable. Whether he entertains returning to the CFL quickly IDK. The report said he is looking into CFL offers so maybe.

Lions, Stamps and Riders don't need LB help. Can't see anybody going to Edmonton at this point unless they give him a blank check.

EDIT: Just checked rosters out east and don't see any pressing need for LB's.

I wouldn't call the Bombers needs pressing either but he'd be a great addition. We're one team where our depth at LB is in question more than other teams IMO.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

3rdand1.5

Sankey would really be an asst to our front 7 which is IMO our biggest weak spot this year. No idea if would be possible but dang, the Jeffs, Biggie and Sankey, that would be four outta 7 starters that are serious top end talent! Heck at 6-1 245 he could even take some reps at end possibly......

Pigskin

Sankey is 28, Bighill will be 35 in October. Adam is signed for the 2024 season. Right now we are a little light on LBs. Sankey would be great depth, an excellent replacement for AB when he retires.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_or_die

Agree about the comments on Sankey. That would seem too good to be true, though.
#Ride?

theaardvark

If Walters can land Sankey, that would be huge.  AB isn't making huge bucks, and we can use then like BC used team 100..

This is one move I'd love to see happen...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on August 01, 2023, 05:50:55 PM
Agree about the comments on Sankey. That would seem too good to be true, though.

+1

He'd be a huge addition. Not sure the WFC can afford him, though.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 01, 2023, 06:05:45 PM
+1

He'd be a huge addition. Not sure the WFC can afford him, though.

For just over half a season, with the ability to use signing bonuses to enhance the take home, and adding guaranteed money for next year, as well as the potential of playoff $$$... I can hope that Walters can cook the books a little... plus there is the $100k buffer and 6 game savings we have seen / will see.

Make the deal, deal with the consequences later... we are going to need a replacement for Biggie sooner than later. and he'd look really good doing that.

blue_or_die

It's not so much as a future replacement for Bighill when he moves on as it is for a WIL right now given the issues we're having staying healthy there. Our LB core is very weak right now between that and Darby not being the player he used to be (fingers crossed he gets it together again though- I know he can). It's really just Biggie in the middle layer alone it seems, and he's not able to make as big an impact as a result. A duo of Biggie and Sankey would be like the Bighill-Solly combo of a decade+ ago
#Ride?