So who "won" the 23-snap DNA least-use contest?

Started by TecnoGenius, January 18, 2024, 12:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

The CFL said before the 2023 season that the 2 teams who used the new "designated national american" (DNA) 23-snap-max substitution rule the least in 2023 were going to get some sort of bonus draft picks?  Wasn't it some extra 2nd round bonus picks or something?

Any word from the league on the results of this?

I'm pretty sure WPG will win one of those 2 slots because our coaches said they weren't going to use it, and except for a few games to start the season we didn't even bother listing a DNA/DNS on the (public) depth charts.  I'm not sure what the CFL will do if 3+ teams tie at "zero use".  I think they intended for everyone to use it.  Look for them to force it next time they tweak the rules.

So if I'm memory is correct, we should get an extra DP after the 2nd round?  That actually might be useful for us this year, needing some extra ELCs to offset the big raises some guys are getting.

In the GC, MTL designated DNA/DNSs on D, with DE Ellis as the DNA, and most other NATs on D as the DNS's... I wonder how often they used it to get an all-IMP DL?  Did anyone notice?  It would probably look like Ellis coming in for Uguak.  Ellis / Sewell / Johnson / Lemon is one stout DL!!  No wonder Zach and Brady had problems.

I wonder if in the post-season the 23-snap use was basically "for free" -- not counting towards the DP bonus.  I wonder if we would have done better had we tried to make use of it, assuming MTL did too.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

I'm just looking forward to seeing what the trophy looks like.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Sir Blue and Gold

I'm not sure if we won or not but it would be cool if the CFL would track it per week and post it somewhere. Would be interesting to see where each team ranked and how much movement there was. Let fans be fans!

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 18, 2024, 01:31:35 PM
I'm not sure if we won or not but it would be cool if the CFL would track it per week and post it somewhere. Would be interesting to see where each team ranked and how much movement there was. Let fans be fans!

How about a creating a betting line on it?  THEN there will be stats available
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on January 18, 2024, 01:44:33 PM
How about a creating a betting line on it?  THEN there will be stats available

Haha yes. This along with 400 commercials to glorify how easy it is to bet during the game on your phone is likely all it would take.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

theaardvark

From the article about the Dru trade... looks like we did    https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/01/18/dru-brown-traded-to-ottawa-for-draft-pick/

Winnipeg now has 10 selections in the 2024 CFL Draft ��� each of its picks in every round, a bonus in the second round, 20th overall, as a reward for snaps by Canadian players in 2023 and now Ottawa���s fifth-round choice, 40th overall, secured from the Brown trade. The Blue Bombers will pick 8th, 17th, 20th, 28th, 37th, 40th, 46th, 55th, 64th and 73rd overall.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 18, 2024, 01:31:35 PMI'm not sure if we won or not but it would be cool if the CFL would track it per week and post it somewhere. Would be interesting to see where each team ranked and how much movement there was. Let fans be fans!

I remember the league saying they were tracking it live and would tell a team when they were at their 23 snaps.  So the data is there, they just never released it to the public(?).  Genius(sports)!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on January 18, 2024, 07:53:27 PMFrom the article about the Dru trade... looks like we did    https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/01/18/dru-brown-traded-to-ottawa-for-draft-pick/

The Blue Bombers will pick 8th, 17th, 20th, 28th, 37th, 40th, 46th, 55th, 64th and 73rd overall.

Good find!  Is that the first anyone has seen anything published about this??  Leave it to the CFL to screw up the stats/publicity on this new "feature".  Some fans may be like "what the heck?" in the middle of the draft when WPG gets to "go again"!  ;D  They already think it's all rigged in our favor.  :D  :D

But... I'm pretty sure I recall 2 teams win the extra DP... so who is team #2??  I'm going to guess CGY: they seemed to also abandon labeling the DNAs later in the season.

That extra pick may come in handy this year!  If we can get 1 or 2 legit 1st year starters out of this draft it may help to ease the pain of any FA losses.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 19, 2024, 04:39:48 AMGood find!  Is that the first anyone has seen anything published about this??  Leave it to the CFL to screw up the stats/publicity on this new "feature".  Some fans may be like "what the heck?" in the middle of the draft when WPG gets to "go again"!  ;D  They already think it's all rigged in our favor.  :D  :D

But... I'm pretty sure I recall 2 teams win the extra DP... so who is team #2??  I'm going to guess CGY: they seemed to also abandon labeling the DNAs later in the season.

That extra pick may come in handy this year!  If we can get 1 or 2 legit 1st year starters out of this draft it may help to ease the pain of any FA losses.

I certainly don't expect and first year starters. That happens on bad teams, but I'd be shocked if a rookie displaces anyone here.

But what might happen with so many draft picks is we'll be able to move on from a handful of older depth and ST players and replaces them with players on minimum contracts. Saving a little cap space on each move to make room for Brady.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on January 19, 2024, 11:37:50 AMI certainly don't expect and first year starters. That happens on bad teams, but I'd be shocked if a rookie displaces anyone here.

Sorry, you're right, I meant to say "first year dressers".  Guys who can make the AR (mostly STs) in year 1 instead of just sit on the PR.

As for "starters", we have been known to find 1 every couple of drafts that can legit start in 1st year.  Usually hoggies.
Never go full Rider!