Off-Season Other Teams News

Started by Throw Long Bannatyne, December 05, 2023, 06:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 29, 2024, 10:57:20 PMDan Ralph
@danralphcp
Hearing Saskatchewan Roughriders have also signed DL Anthony Lanier to a one-year contract extension. Deal would make him one of CFL's top-paid defensive linemen.

Last year he was the highest paid defensive player in the CFL @ $250k. That's a lot  for an Import DE that only contributed 19 tackles and 5 sacks,

But he's a fan favorite.  Even with the down 2023 season I think most fans just chalk that up to being played in the wrong spots / used incorrectly by Shivers/Craig.

They have so few shining lights in SSK, that when they find one they tend to cling and overpay.  However, wouldn't one think Lanier would have to accept less money this year than last?  Why pay him the top salary again?  Where else is he going to get anywhere near that $$?
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 30, 2024, 05:06:22 AMBut he's a fan favorite.  Even with the down 2023 season I think most fans just chalk that up to being played in the wrong spots / used incorrectly by Shivers/Craig.

They have so few shining lights in SSK, that when they find one they tend to cling and overpay.  However, wouldn't one think Lanier would have to accept less money this year than last?  Why pay him the top salary again?  Where else is he going to get anywhere near that $$?

Riderfans were convinced Jones was going to steal him.

Throw Long Bannatyne

ModAdmin

Oh dear!!!!

Justin Dunk
@JDunk12
Michael Ball being replaced as radio voice of Saskatchewan Roughriders

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/30/michael-ball-being-replaced-as-radio-voice-of-saskatchewan-roughriders/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 30, 2024, 07:23:45 PMOh dear!!!!

Justin Dunk
@JDunk12

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/30/michael-ball-being-replaced-as-radio-voice-of-saskatchewan-roughriders/

What a surprise!  He's a wildly unpopular person even among Rider fans.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 29, 2024, 10:57:20 PMDan Ralph
@danralphcp
Hearing Saskatchewan Roughriders have also signed DL Anthony Lanier to a one-year contract extension. Deal would make him one of CFL's top-paid defensive linemen.

Last year he was the highest paid defensive player in the CFL @ $250k. That's a lot  for an Import DE that only contributed 19 tackles and 5 sacks,

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 30, 2024, 07:23:45 PMOh dear!!!!

Justin Dunk
@JDunk12

Lmao @ both
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Good riddance to that unhinged goof.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 30, 2024, 07:25:53 PMWhat a surprise!  He's a wildly unpopular person even among Rider fans.

If you were even mildly critical of his opinions on Twitter, he would block you.  Apparently he could dish it out but couldn't take it.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 30, 2024, 05:45:52 PMAls cut Stanback, wonder if this opens the door for them to go after Brady?

A reverse Burn The Witches?  Not sure this is a smart move.  Stanback was instrumental in them getting that important GC TD on that freight-train run of his.  I had no idea he had that speed, as he's more of a bruiser back.  I do believe based on that run he's faster than Brady, who is a lot younger.  He had like 3-4 of our DBs/LBs chasing him and none could catch him in time.

More PTSD... argh!!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 30, 2024, 07:25:53 PMWhat a surprise!  He's a wildly unpopular person even among Rider fans.

I don't know.  He's kind of the guy they love to hate.  He always got (and kept) the fans talking.  I never listened to the in-game PBP, but I'd often listen to the immediate post-games and he seemed fine to me.  Kind of a blowhard, but he seemed to fit in just fine in SSK.

But it's a good move re: the timing: new HC, "fresh slate" feel, out with the old, in with the new.

It was kind of cool having a major CFL figure named "Ballsy" though.  :P
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Redblacks release Ruby due to $20K bonus due tomorrow. Reports are that they have signed Bladek to replace him.

Not sure if they makes their OL better or worse or what it saves on SMS.

Ruby available creates a musical chairs situation for Gray and a few other OL possibly reaching free agency.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Roughly 160 players on the potential free agent list left. About 105 have been re-signed or released.

Usually we see about 60 players change teams, retire or never play in the CFL again.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Ticats hire former Bombers special team coordinator Paul Boudreau, six others to 2024 coaching, including former Bomber D-line coach Glen Young.

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/02/ticats-hire-former-bombers-special-team-coordinator-paul-boudreau-six-others-to-2024-coaching-staff/