Winnipeg @ BC pre-game

Started by Pigskin, September 30, 2023, 04:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Winnipeg's D will have to play much better to stop VA. The DL must be better. We also must come to play for 60 minutes.

ZC8 will see pressure all night. ZC8 can not take the hits he did against the Argo's.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

VA took a pretty good shot to the tail bone. He was in some discomfort most of the 4th. quarter. 

Pete

I wonder if after the argos game we make any adjustments such as having fox come in against his old team?
Also do we see lawrence back in if Houston can't go or do we go with Swaray? I've given up on Haba in for jackson (OShea seems determined to not make that move
i

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on October 01, 2023, 12:25:12 AM
I've given up on Haba in for jackson (OShea seems determined to not make that move

Haba was useless in the HAM loss, his big start.  He's clearly better as a rotational at the moment.  I guess MOS/Hall just don't feel his production will be worth the loss of a DI elsewhere.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on September 30, 2023, 04:07:26 PM
Winnipeg's D will have to play much better to stop VA. The DL must be better. We also must come to play for 60 minutes.

BC's OL is much weaker than TOR.  I expect a much better game by the DL.  VAJ also can get flustered when harassed.  I would be chirping and bugging him all night.  Get in his head and he goes into nutjob mode.

Being a deep slinger, the key to beating BC is getting those INTs.  Have to setup the DBs for success.

I would feel much better if the game was @IGF, but it is what it is, and we have to win out regardless of location.  If BC owner was smart, he'd hire LL Cool J again and pack the stadium.  This game is worth a couple/few million $$ to him for sure.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Zach and Bombers, take note...

Farhan Lalji
@FarhanLaljiTSN
14h
I?m a huge fan of @ZCollaros7 - the player, person & story. He's earned his respect with 2 grey cups. But right now @VernonAdamsJr3
still deserves more respect than he's getting. Reminder that he didn't play in #Bombers blow out win over @BCLions win earlier this year.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

dd

I think the Lions will be looking to even the score with the bombers and are going to come out jacked and lay a beating on us

RebusRankin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 01, 2023, 12:45:17 AM
Haba was useless in the HAM loss, his big start.  He's clearly better as a rotational at the moment.  I guess MOS/Hall just don't feel his production will be worth the loss of a DI elsewhere.

He was all right. Rotational DE is still better than an american fullback who makes minimal impact on teams, contributes nothing on D and is in to block for 5-10 plays a game.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: dd on October 01, 2023, 01:55:02 PM
I think the Lions will be looking to even the score with the bombers and are going to come out jacked and lay a beating on us
True....we had Dane Evans and we got to him early and often.   VAJ is very mobile and can hurt you with his legs not to mention the fact that our D generally sucks against mobile QBs.    He has good escapability and is tough to contain in the pocket.   That will be the key because he has a huge array of very talented receivers and can throw the long bombs successfully.    This game is basically make or break for us and will basically determine whether we win the West.   The way we've been playing lately, I won't be surprised if BC puts us away as they have been playing well lately and winning the games they needed to win.
Of course I'm hoping the bad VAJ shows up and the good Zach has a great game....
Bomber fan for life

Horseman

Quote from: dd on October 01, 2023, 01:55:02 PM

Yes, I agree. Adams will pick our DB's apart and our special teams will be anything but special.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Horseman on October 01, 2023, 03:43:57 PM
Yes, I agree. Adams will pick our DB's apart and our special teams will be anything but special.
Will this be the game Janarion makes his return(s)?   I remember the game he took the opening KO to the house.....set the tone for the entire game and we won handily.     We haven't had anything but trick plays that really didn't work all that well in our last tilt with the argos....albeit the opening reverse looked pretty decent albeit Holm stepped out of bounds at the 41.    The next time we tried the reverse it didn't fool anyone.....
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 01, 2023, 06:16:45 AM
Zach and Bombers, take note...

Farhan Lalji
@FarhanLaljiTSN
14h
I?m a huge fan of @ZCollaros7 - the player, person & story. He's earned his respect with 2 grey cups. But right now @VernonAdamsJr3
still deserves more respect than he's getting. Reminder that he didn't play in #Bombers blow out win over @BCLions win earlier this year.

Can't argue with this too much, I think Adams has established himself as the most talented passer in the league.

Pete

All the more reason to get to him early and put him on his sore tailbone. Also i remember the last time  last time we went into bc against an overhyped qb.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 01, 2023, 04:35:28 PM
Can't argue with this too much, I think Adams has established himself as the most talented passer in the league.
you think?  :D
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Pigskin

I am waiting for our injury report. Houston probably out. DS83 probably misses practice, but he will plays in BC. Someone said Parker was limping. 

Waffler

Gonna be a war. No blowouts either way this time. Very tough to win in a packed BC Place. The upper deck is bound to be open. This is basically the first playoff game of the season.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

dd

By far, the most important game of the season, winner likely gets first place and home field advantage in WDF

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on October 01, 2023, 02:23:01 PM
That will be the key because he has a huge array of very talented receivers and can throw the long bombs successfully.    This game is basically make or break for us and will basically determine whether we win the West.   The way we've been playing lately, I won't be surprised if BC puts us away as they have been playing well lately and winning the games they needed to win.

Here's my math:

Zach equal to or better than VAJ
WPG receivers = BC receivers
WPG OL equal to or slightly better than BC OL
WPG RB 1000X better than BC RB

So it might come down to ST and D.  BC ST isn't anything great, and we may get Grant back.  Therefore it comes down to D.

BC DB better than WPG DB
BC DL better than WPG DL, but not by much (mostly DT strength)
WPG WILL/MIKE better than BC
BC SAM better then WPG

If our D can get 1+ INTs out VAJ it might be the difference maker.  Our D can probably hang with them, but our O will have to match score for score.  There's always a chance VAJ will implode (remember the 6-INT game anyone?).  He's a high risk / high reward QB.

If we can start getting pressure and leave someone around the middle flat to protect against VAJ runs and Mizzel draws then we should be able to neuter that big play O to some degree.

This isn't Hall's first time facing a deep game O.  Back in '18-'19 we faced a lot of deep threat QBs.  CFL isn't like that very much anymore, but Hall still retains the knowledge.  Go haul out the playbooks from those years.  We used to be the INT leaders with guys like Fogg and Moe and Heath.  Let's do it again.  Cut the D loose.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on October 01, 2023, 10:29:29 PM
Gonna be a war. No blowouts either way this time. Very tough to win in a packed BC Place. The upper deck is bound to be open. This is basically the first playoff game of the season.

It will be a war.  I think our guys have a feeling going into this game like much like that of the '19 WSF when we went into a high-powered hostile CGY and clobbered them.  If we start off down, I think that only fuels the fire.

I doubt BC opens the upper deck.  They barely had a reason to even with LL Cool J.  Even a BC home playoff might not sell more than the lower bowl, unless whatshisface brings in another big act.  BC gonna BC.
Never go full Rider!

3rdand1.5

The nice thing is the more Brady churns out the yards and the clock the less VA is on the field....although we did this against T.O in spades and a back-up QB looked like Flutie out on the field as he moved around virtually un-bothered by our pressure.

IMO the two keys to a win for us are;
Get pressure on VA early
Get Brady going early

Against the smaller BC front Brady should do well, but I have big concern about our front 7  both getting to VA and containing him, and like him or not VA may just be the second best QB this season.....

Pigskin

No practice for me today. Had both the breakfast and lunch shift at the school today. Lunch today is home made perogies.

northof30

By 3Down Staff - October 2, 2023_ CFL Power Rankings:
The writer(s) don't seem to be too enamoured with the Bombers.

"After a whole lot of whining from the Winnipeg media about the cowardly Boatmen resting starters, the Bombers nearly stubbed their toe against the assembled backups. Luckily they had Brady Oliveira to keep the engine running smoothly, as the homegrown back powered for 169 yards and now has 330 yards more than his next-closest competition for the rushing title. At least he didn?t slip in the avian feces some analysts suggested would be all over IG Field."

peg_city

Vegas have the Bomber favoured by .5

The fact that the Bombers haven't played well the last two weeks have me concerned about this game. Although, maybe they show up?

Winner of this game basically has the west final.

RebusRankin

Quote from: northof30 on October 02, 2023, 09:07:04 PM
By 3Down Staff - October 2, 2023_ CFL Power Rankings:
The writer(s) don't seem to be too enamoured with the Bombers.

"After a whole lot of whining from the Winnipeg media about the cowardly Boatmen resting starters, the Bombers nearly stubbed their toe against the assembled backups. Luckily they had Brady Oliveira to keep the engine running smoothly, as the homegrown back powered for 169 yards and now has 330 yards more than his next-closest competition for the rushing title. At least he didn?t slip in the avian feces some analysts suggested would be all over IG Field."

3DNation is essentially a fan site. You can get better writing and analysis from this board, MBB etc.

Pete

From what I've head the only media person to question the argos decision was Doug Brown who did call the move chicken  .....   
Last I heard Brown isn't the whole Winnipeg media. Just another example of poor reporting. Interesting that they dont name the author..just 3 down staff

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pete on October 03, 2023, 02:40:22 AM
From what I've head the only media person to question the argos decision was Doug Brown who did call the move chicken  .....   
Last I heard Brown isn't the whole Winnipeg media. Just another example of poor reporting. Interesting that they dont name the author..just 3 down staff
lol

northof30

? ?You hope at some point he comes back,? Bombers special teams co-ordinator Paul Boudreau said?.

This quote about Janarian Grant was reported in the Winnipeg Sun last week. Pretty stupid comment by Boudreau IMO. If you?re not sure he?s going to come back at some point then why is he there.

ModAdmin

There can be no reasonable question that...

- the October 6th game - Winnipeg @ BC - will dictate who finishes first in the West.

- this is the most important game in the regular season.

- Winnipeg must bring their A game in all three phases.

- Winnipeg must win to show they are the elite team in the West.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

PurpleReign

To be honest I am not worried about this game. We are better than BC. Brady gashed the Argos with 160 yards. The Bc front is small and can be run over fairly easily. I would pound the ball and eat up time of possession. The BC secondary can?t be toasted deep. We win by 14!!

Lincoln Locomotive

There's no question about VAJ being a difference maker and none of us really saw that coming at the beginning of the season.    He torched the riders through the air with 478 yards passing and broke the 400 yard mark.    We talk about the good VAJ and the bad VAJ.....well this season we are saying the same about Zach.   Which QB shows up this week?    If Brady gets going early and we establish a punishing ground game and Zach doesn't force the ball deep as often we can win this.    BC's DBs are generally better than ours and a shootout style game favours them.    Control the game with Bully Ball and intermediate passing routes
Bomber fan for life

TBURGESS

How much do the Lions need VAJ? They beat us with him & got beaten by us without him. BC's backup QB only threw for about 140 yards against us. VAJ regularly throws for over 300.

Brady O should have a good game against their D line, but it won't matter if they can drop 300+ yards passing on us.

I'm looking forward to the battle of the best in the West vs the 2nd best in the West and finding out which team is which.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

The Zipp

Time for Willie to make his presence known in a big way...Jeffcoat too...they are the big dogs on defence and they need to play like they are in charge.  I hope it isn't Ben Major reffing the game - IMO he is the worst in the CFL.

The Zipp

Grant is back at full practice...Houston is not.

Ed Tait

@EdTaitWFC
News from Bomberland: Janarion Grant in full gear as
@Wpg_BlueBombers
practice begins

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 03, 2023, 04:19:38 PM
How much do the Lions need VAJ? They beat us with him & got beaten by us without him. BC's backup QB only threw for about 140 yards against us. VAJ regularly throws for over 300.

Brady O should have a good game against their D line, but it won't matter if they can drop 300+ yards passing on us.

I'm looking forward to the battle of the best in the West vs the 2nd best in the West and finding out which team is which.

Adams will probably get his 300 yards anyway, key is getting good pressure and coming up with interceptions and turnovers when he throws ill advised passes.  Like BLM he's become a real gunslinger and the longer the passes, the more chance the secondary has a chance to react to the ball.

Pete

Adams may get 300 yards which is fine since they don't have a running game. The area they have really racked up yards against us is the return  game.
The other factor is how good we can run the ball, eat up the clock and reduce the reps Adams gets. We do that and we'll be successful.
It will also keep our dline fresher, for most of the first half of the bc sask game the riders were able to get good pressure on him and limit his success . We need to find ways to do that for 60 minutes.

3rdand1.5

The best way to get to VAJ and keep him from completed long passes and making big plays is to have him on the sideline.

The more we get Brady and the run game involved the more we can chew the clock, the more we chew the clock, the less opportunity VAJ has to make big plays.

No defence including our can fully defend the BC offence, but they can't score from the sidelines watching, so make them watch as much as we can.

Own the TOP and the clock, and get up early in score and force VAJ into hopefully making a mistake or two or three....

Blue In BC

Quote from: The Zipp on October 03, 2023, 04:41:07 PM
Grant is back at full practice...Houston is not.

Ed Tait

@EdTaitWFC
News from Bomberland: Janarion Grant in full gear as
@Wpg_BlueBombers
practice begins

Hmmmm. Would be good to get Grant back especially to reduce the workload for Parker if Houston can't play. I'd also like to see Parker on the roster even if Houston plays. We need depth on the AR if we have an injury in the secondary. Last week showed that need.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Great to hopefully get Grant back just in time for he most important regular season game of the year.

I agree JJ and Willie need to show up in a big way here.

Our receivers should be able to get open against these guys. Steady dose of Brady O.

Kick coverage needs to be shored up hopefully better with returning STers

peg_city

dd

Adams will shred our secondary and scramble for yards driving our whole defense nuts. I don?t see our front 7 ?getting to him?. They haven?t gotten to anyone all year

BBRT

Quote from: peg_city on October 03, 2023, 08:39:42 PM
Lions now favoured by 1.5

Good! We got them right where we want them! ???

Blueforlife

Grant back is huge.  Our D will get some pressure but Adams is quick and can throw a dart on the run.  Big challenge. 

Quote from: dd on October 03, 2023, 09:10:08 PM
Adams will shred our secondary and scramble for yards driving our whole defense nuts. I don?t see our front 7 ?getting to him?. They haven?t gotten to anyone all year
Our DL has had a few good games imo.  Our secondary is good, we will give up yards but will come through.  Agree on the scramble part.

Houston is a big piece of the back end.  Hope he is ok.  Anyone know if Parker is ok?

Lawrence practiced.  No mention of Parker on the report.
Sometimes you need a fresh start

Pete

Quote from: dd on October 03, 2023, 09:10:08 PM
In the game we played them where Adams played he threw for a total of 240 yards, it was their defence that won the game for them. It comes down to protecting Zac and controlling the pace of the game

Blueforlife

Quote from: Pete on October 03, 2023, 09:51:08 PM
In the game we played them where Adams played he threw for a total of 240 yards, it was their defence that won the game for them. It comes down to protecting Zac and controlling the pace of the game
Agree.  Win the game on the line of scrimmage and if our OL delivers, we have a great chance.  Run the rock, control the clock and go deep enough to keep pace.

TecnoGenius

Since our initial loss to BC we've been working heavily on the 2 spare NAT OL as well as Jackson48 on the jumbo sets.  Lots of creative looks, and lots of shifts by OL and movement by 48.  It's part of what made Brady so good in the TOR game.  It's prepping us for cold weather ball.  We will have a huge advantage should the WDF be played in a cold IGF, and a cold GC.

BC's D is built for pass rush.  Betts was pretty lost as a run stopper in our 2nd game.  He actually looked foolish most of the game, going into every scheme and coverage imaginable except the one where the ball was.  I expect BC to make massive adjustments to match our plan from the 2nd game... however, we've morphed into something different already and I don't think they'll know which scheme to anticipate.

The great short pass game we showed vs TOR will also help us here.  BC's DBs are superb so the only way you'll beat them deep is with trickery / tendency smashers, or short ball.  We'll have to take a few more deep shots than in the TOR game, because we must mix it up (maybe to start the game), and if we do we need to go super deep, not deep.  We need better isolation of receivers: we had too many passes vs TOR where TOR D would shed their guy and get to the target, causing INTs or breakups.  That's bad scheme for us with guys too close.
Never go full Rider!

Pete

Looks like its parker replacing Houston, Grant comes in  taking Parkers di spot.
No other changes
This leaves us vulnerable to a secondary injury, as Kelly or Hallet would have to come on
Once again Jackson is still on despite not making A single block or tackle on st last game and no impact on offence. Im not sure why we have two imports at lb either

3rdand1.5

Grant and Hanson hopefully make the specials better, but I am still really concerned about the D-line....that's really thin IMO

Blueforlife

Dline will be fine but we can't get nicked.  Agree on the back end, can't afford to loose anyone.  Jackson is important to keep Zack protected.  Happy he stays.  Our LB depth gives us options to rotate and keep us fresh. 

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pete on October 05, 2023, 02:46:56 PM
Looks like its parker replacing Houston, Grant comes in  taking Parkers di spot.
No other changes
This leaves us vulnerable to a secondary injury, as Kelly or Hallet would have to come on
Once again Jackson is still on despite not making A single block or tackle on st last game and no impact on offence. Im not sure why we have two imports at lb either

Cole is going to be brought in to spy Adams at times. Jackson is good on the X's and O's -- Fans might not appreciate it but he does a great job at what he's asked to do. He'd be an all-star in the CFL like Miller if he was Canadian.

kkc60

The depth at DB and DL sure is intimidating, especially against a mobile QB with a ton of weapons

Blueforlife

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 05, 2023, 03:16:48 PM
Cole is going to be brought in to spy Adams at times. Jackson is good on the X's and O's -- Fans might not appreciate it but he does a great job at what he's asked to do. He'd be an all-star in the CFL like Miller if he was Canadian.
Cole will do that well.  Agree on Jackson.  Not sure where the criticism is coming from.

Pete

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 05, 2023, 03:16:48 PM
To compare Jackson to Miller is unrealistic, I rewatched the argo game paying attention to Jackson, he wasnt even in the vicinity on special team coverage, and on returns missed every block. in terms of protecting Zac he only goes in on short yardage plays when Zacs not even in
You simply have to look at the stats to see hes not even close to miller. (who's a future HOF)

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pete on October 05, 2023, 03:55:09 PM
To compare Jackson to Miller is unrealistic, I rewatched the argo game paying attention to Jackson, he wasnt even in the vicinity on special team coverage, and on returns missed every block. in terms of protecting Zac he only goes in on short yardage plays when Zacs not even in
You simply have to look at the stats to see hes not even close to miller. (who's a future HOF)

It's totally realistic you just have to compare Jackson to Miller's first season or two in the CFL. Jackson isn't going to be afforded that opportunity because he's American but he's this year's replacement because another Canadian Miller doesn't exist, certainly not on our roster.

Pete

sorry but comparing Jackson to miller has to be based on his actual accomplishments of which are few. To me its an insult to miller. I agree that the failure to find an adequate canadian fb is a problem. I also wonder if there wasn't an import fb that has actually played the position we could have brought in if that was the plan. It feels like were trying to create a position cause of his background and effort (his lack of presence on specail teams is also a factor as mentioned)

Blueforlife

Quote from: Pete on October 05, 2023, 04:24:46 PM
sorry but comparing Jackson to miller has to be based on his actual accomplishments of which are few. To me its an insult to miller. I agree that the failure to find an adequate canadian fb is a problem. I also wonder if there wasn't an import fb that has actually played the position we could have brought in if that was the plan. It feels like were trying to create a position cause of his background and effort (his lack of presence on specail teams is also a factor as mentioned)
agree on the comparison and the ST factor, I do like both though

theaardvark

I have kept an eye on Jackson and he has made some incredible kick out blocks in jumbo package when we run.  He knows how to cut across the path of the runner and take away, nay, obliterate a DL/LB at the point of attack.

And, I have never seen him mosey about, ever.  He is at 100% speed and focus all the time.  Which can be contagious/competitive.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blueforlife

Quote from: theaardvark on October 05, 2023, 04:33:08 PM
I have kept an eye on Jackson and he has made some incredible kick out blocks in jumbo package when we run.  He knows how to cut across the path of the runner and take away, nay, obliterate a DL/LB at the point of attack.

And, I have never seen him mosey about, ever.  He is at 100% speed and focus all the time.  Which can be contagious/competitive.
He does his job well.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pete on October 05, 2023, 04:24:46 PM

Failure? There's no possible way to find a like for like replacement with Mike Miller. Especially if you are thinking of Miller as a 10 year CFL pro. Even if we drafted a great Canadian "fullback" (special teams player) in the past year's draft it usually takes a season to get them up to speed and more to get them to have the experience to think anywhere close to what Miller does. Jackson can do a lot of the high energy that Miller did early in his career. He's clearly the plan for this year. Just because you don't like the comparison or think it's fair doesn't mean he's not doing it. And he's not a long term answer because he's American and it's a spot that needs to be Canadian if the player is going to stick around long term. Jackson would be a hero on this forum if he was from Canada or Winnipeg. He's not so everyone wants him off the roster. That's a fact as much as it's an opinion.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 05, 2023, 04:52:58 PM
Failure? There's no possible way to find a like for like replacement with Mike Miller. Especially if you are thinking of Miller as a 10 year CFL pro. Even if we drafted a great Canadian "fullback" (special teams player) in the past year's draft it usually takes a season to get them up to speed and more to get them to have the experience to think anywhere close to what Miller does. Jackson can do a lot of the high energy that Miller did early in his career. He's clearly the plan for this year. Just because you don't like the comparison or think it's fair doesn't mean he's not doing it. And he's not a long term answer because he's American and it's a spot that needs to be Canadian if the player is going to stick around long term.

It didn't have to be a Canadian FB although that would have been preferable. Nothing stopped us from finding a very good RB that is an excellent blocker and also an offensive threat. The failure is that Jackson doesn't excel at FB, DE or ST player.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

I see no failure with Jackson being in the lineup.  Has done his job well and can rotate in a few spots.  The only failure that could come in the future if we don't develop a  CDN replacement for Miller when the time comes.

Pete

Part of the misconception is that Jackson is being used as a fullback, he's been utilized more as a tightend. Hes been progressing well all things considered, but it is a failure not having a backup plan to miller due to his age and injuries. That we had to put in a player that's never played the position prior isn't good. When you say that Jacksons doing many of the things well that miller did, other than making the short yardage kickout block what has he done?

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on October 05, 2023, 05:45:30 PM
Part of the misconception is that Jackson is being used as a fullback, he's been utilized more as a tightend. Hes been progressing well all things considered, but it is a failure not having a backup plan to miller due to his age and injuries. That we had to put in a player that's never played the position prior isn't good. When you say that Jacksons doing many of the things well that miller did, other than making the short yardage kickout block what has he done?

Agree, He has no DTs, he has only 3 STs.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on October 05, 2023, 05:45:30 PM

It doesn't matter whether they call him a FB or TE. His role is as an additional blocker and he's not excelling at that position. As an import that's a total failure.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on October 05, 2023, 03:55:09 PM

This is entirely untrue.  As someone who studies the "weird" formations when we use them (which is often), Jackson is in a ton on 1st down run plays, the first down looks-like-run-but-it's-a-short-pass plays where him being there tricks D's, and 2nd & manageable plays.  And yes, probably on sneaks too.

He's easy to spot as he's usually lined up halfway back to the QB rather than as a TE.  It's a bit novel for us as Miller almost always lined up TE on the line.

Quote from: theaardvark on October 05, 2023, 04:33:08 PM

Ya, he's a big part of the reason why Brady is having big games, in the games he does.  And we're doing tons of change-up snaps mixing and matching Dobson, Eli and Jackson.  It's like musical chairs on run and fake-run pass plays.  You never know what you're going to get.  I bet MOS and Buck are grading these guys out on all the film and will settle more on a clear 1 or 2 favorites by playoff time.  Based on what I've seen, I have no clue who will win as they all seem pretty plug'n'play.  Maybe all 3 keep sharing reps.

I think we're missing the big picture here.  We're clearly gearing up for our cold weather playoff strategy.  We're getting big beef on the run game and short-pass blocking game.  We're not running nearly as much 5 R's out sets as we were before.  We almost never do empty backfield 6 R's out.  We're perfecting our bully ball game at the precise moment we need to, and optimizing our roster around it.

I don't see the other "big 2" teams doing that.  Our coaches know what's important and why we failed in the '22 GC.  Pray for cold and wet and snowy and awful post-season games for us, as all that will play into our hands.

All that said, if Miller manages to come back before season's end, I'm not sure anymore that Jackson will be benched.  Miller might have to take another NAT STer spot, and Jackson will continue the TE/FB duties while Miller just does ST.  Jackson has more beef than Miller, and knows all the newest schemes, most of which we used in prior seasons.  And Jackson still has the ability to be a "forgotten receiver" right when it matters most.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 05, 2023, 06:42:08 PM
It doesn't matter whether they call him a FB or TE. His role is as an additional blocker and he's not excelling at that position. As an import that's a total failure.

Then I posit you're not seeing it right.  The proof is in the pudding.  He's on the field, and I'm pretty sure will stay that way all the way to the GC.  MOS and Buck clearly see something you are not.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 05, 2023, 06:42:08 PM

Why
is he a total failure in the run blocking and special teams roles? What do you see specifically that makes you so certain? O'Shea is closing in on being the most successful coach in Blue Bombers history, has been around the game his entire life, specialized in special teams for much of his coaching career, and is dressing him for the most important game of the year. So... your Xs and Os better be good.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 06, 2023, 12:42:18 PM

Why
is he a total failure in the run blocking and special teams roles? What do you see specifically that makes you so certain? O'Shea is closing in on being the most successful coach in Blue Bombers history, has been around the game his entire life, specialized in special teams for much of his coaching career, and is dressing him for the most important game of the year. So... your Xs and Os better be good.

For a starting point he's not on the field very often. As I mentioned, he's of zero value as an offensive threat. There are import FB's and RB's that are available that are also excellent blockers that could also be an offensive threat.  We've seen those players in the CFL in the past. Most teams don't use a DI spot for an extra import RB though and even less use it for a player of this type.

Although some are suggesting he's a multiple role player but that is really a stretch. He's useless on ST's an only sees reps on defence late in blow out games. If he was a back up Canadian it wouldn't be an issue. Gee how are all the other teams managing without a player like him?

Giving credit to O'Shea for his ST work in a season where our ST's have been horrible and the discussion is about Jackson on offence is irrelevant.  In the world of what have you done for me recently, the Bombers have lost 3 games in 2023 to really bad teams. They lost the 2022 Grey Cup. We're down to 1 healthy Canadian on our PR.

Did somebody send a memo that we've won the Grey Cup in 2023 already. Let's see if we can secure the WDF tonight by defeating the Lions.

Just out of curiosity maybe someone can track how many times Jackson is on the field for offence and his " highlights " tonight.

Well lets see how the game goes tonight. If we run for 200 yards and beat the Lions by 14+ points I may feel better about it tomorrow. If the Lions snuff out our run game and are in the backfield all night there will be a different discussion.

If one our DL get injured early and we have difficulty in contain and or pressure on Adams, there will also be a continuation of the roster choices.

Winning solves all though questions.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 06, 2023, 04:37:59 AM
Then I posit you're not seeing it right.  The proof is in the pudding.  He's on the field, and I'm pretty sure will stay that way all the way to the GC.  MOS and Buck clearly see something you are not.

If your thought is that any player on the AR is productive, then that's a form of " proof". I'd suggest it's more a matter of on the roster by default. We cut Burtenshaw and he was the only other choice for a similar type of role.

Should we feel sorry for the Argos and Lions because they have Canadian FB's. BTW, the Argos FB is Calver and he was a Bomber at one  time.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 02, 2023, 06:21:46 AM
I doubt BC opens the upper deck. 

Upper deck IS open and it will be deafening in there with the roof on. Big advantage for them as it was in the 80's when it first opened.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Lincoln Locomotive

the stadium in BC will be louder than IGF.....with the roof closed and the upper deck full it will be deafening to,say the least.   Walby commented on just how loud it gets in there and the O-line can't hear the snap cadence.    The last time we trounced BC in their barn.....Janarian took the opening KO to the house and silenced the crowd early on and set the tone for the entire game.    I think Kenny Lawler had a huge game as well.    Hope both can rise to the occasion as they both have been disappointing this season for different reasons.   Janarian for being injured most of the season and Lawler for missing the first 6 games because of his 2019 incident which has still not been put to bed.    He didn't have a good game against the Argos and we need to see another BIG outing from him and the rest of our receiving corp to stay in front of the Lions vaunted offence lead by MOP candidate Vernon Adams who has emerged as a bonafide star in the CFL.  Houston not playing won't help our secondary out either and this game has now become the pivotal game of the entire Bomber season.    Are they up to the task?   We'll soon see!   Go Bombers go!!
Bomber fan for life

Stats Junkie

The upper deck is open but it appears as though it is just the first 10ish rows, between the 20s, on the side opposite the benches - good for t.v.

Forecast is 17c at game time and 15c at game end. I expect that roof will be open so dress appropriately if you are attending.

Noise won't be anywhere close to the 1980s noise levels. BC has a good core of 18-20 thousand fans who know when to make noise. The incremental fans are casual fans who don't understand the protocols such as remaining quiet while the offence is on the field. In the past 10 years the loudest moments have been with 20k fans in the stadium.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Stats Junkie on October 06, 2023, 03:30:59 PM
The upper deck is open but it appears as though it is just the first 10ish rows, between the 20s, on the side opposite the benches - good for t.v.

Forecast is 17c at game time and 15c at game end. I expect that roof will be open so dress appropriately if you are attending.

Noise won't be anywhere close to the 1980s noise levels. BC has a good core of 18-20 thousand fans who know when to make noise. The incremental fans are casual fans who don't understand the protocols such as remaining quiet while the offence is on the field. In the past 10 years the loudest moments have been with 20k fans in the stadium.
Sounds like someone who lives there and knows insider stuff.

Throw Long Bannatyne

I'm in the interior, I think it's going to rain today so I'd be surprised if they left it open, how long does it take them to close the roof?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Wondering if Neufeld is a GDT based on how he handles Betts?  Can't recall how he did in the last two matchups but perhaps that is a consideration in the decision.  I don't think Dobson would be an improvement in pass protection but Eli might be.

Stats Junkie

BC Place tweeted within the past hour that the roof will be open. 7% chance of rain during game.

Wpg Blue Bombers tweeted that Wade Miller will be carving turkey for Blue Bombers fans 5-6pm in Terry Fox Plaza.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

Blue In BC

Weather is good at the moment. Clear sky and no rain.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Ya, I was just going to say that upper-deck being open is not the important point: putting butts in those seats is.  BC doesn't sell enough tickets to make a lot of noise.  I'm not scared at all of BC attendance at a reg season game.

I would find it funny if it did rain on them all, though  :D :D :D
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 06, 2023, 01:22:01 PM
If your thought is that any player on the AR is productive, then that's a form of " proof". I'd suggest it's more a matter of on the roster by default. We cut Burtenshaw and he was the only other choice for a similar type of role.

It is a form of proof when many other decent players at other positions have become available and yet Jackson keeps his DI spot.  Haba for instance.  McCrae anyone?  There's no shortage of guys who've come up for rostering and been benched so Jackson can stay on.  What does that tell you?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 06, 2023, 01:19:01 PM
For a starting point he's not on the field very often. As I mentioned, he's of zero value as an offensive threat.

We did throw to him once, but it was a busted play.  I'd say he's as much of a threat on passing as >50% of the CFL FBs.

And clearly we're setting it up for him to be the lost receiver and be wide open for something big in a big game.  I'm sure the guy can catch.

There are import FB's and RB's that are available that are also excellent blockers that could also be an offensive threat.  We've seen those players in the CFL in the past. Most teams don't use a DI spot for an extra import RB though and even less use it for a player of this type.

I'm not saying what we're doing with Jackson is smart, or the best use of our roster.  I have many of the same doubts you do.  But clearly The Mafia thinks it's smart!  They are telling us by their actions that he is instrumental to their plans.

And it's going to pay off tonight as Neuf is benched.  With only 1 other dressed hoggie, it's a huge sigh of relief we have a beefy TE/FB who can pick up the slack.

Although some are suggesting he's a multiple role player but that is really a stretch. He's useless on ST's an only sees reps on defence late in blow out games. If he was a back up Canadian it wouldn't be an issue. Gee how are all the other teams managing without a player like him?

MOS/Buck are clearly trying something new that is basically never seen in the CFL.  Buck has new ideas.  I've proffered reasons for this.  It remains to be seen if I'm right.

It's not about ST or D.  That's all just gravy.

Just out of curiosity maybe someone can track how many times Jackson is on the field for offence and his " highlights " tonight.

I can do that.  I usually rewatch and study the scheme for each snap.  My tech makes it easy to figure out exactly what's going on on every play.  Lately he's had 3-5 important run or pass blocks a game.
Never go full Rider!